Wifey called about a noise coming from her wagon

Can the drive shafts be pulled out and everything in the photo be changed easily if you leave the original bearing race in place (assuming it's not really messed up) ?

I am going to start pulling all the brake hardware. Taking axles out is new to me. I've never done it before. Do I have to remove the pumpkin to release the axles?
It is a little easier with the brake stuff out of the way, so yep... If the axles stick in, you can turn the drums around and put them back on the axles. Leave a little loose and use the drum like a slide hammer. If they still stick (I've only ever had one), you can rent a slide hammer at Auto Zone or places like that.

The pumpkin does not need to come out. FWIW, the axles would have to come out first to pull the pumpkin.

Do I have to remove the pumpkin to release the axles?
no. as for the brakes, probably just remove the spreader bar for the e-brake if even that. four nuts on the hold down plates and yank 'em out! this was a good recent axle thread with lots of pictures and some great suggestions that seems to have worked out successfully: Axle Leaking

Looking at other posts, what is the meant by the term "green"?
"Green" bearings aren't tapered or adjustable. The idea is to eliminate the adjuster and thrust block in the rear. Some guys like them and some prefer the original design. I like the original design because I feel that iit can take a side load better. YMMV.

"Green" actually refers to the now defunct bearing company that used to make them.

Here's a decent explanation: Why Green Bearings? - Quality Body Shop Drivetrain and Richard Ehrenberg's argument against them. Green Around The Gills

i'd go with factory because they were used on a vehicle fleet that counts in the millions of vehicles. this would mean billions of vehicle miles with few failures. i don't argue with success. buy quality bearings and learn how to install them correctly.

Looking at other posts, what is the meant by the term "green"?
Tapered bearings give much more support in turns. Green bearings are good for straight ahead driving, like at a drag strip.
I would use tapered bearings. Also, early Green bearings failed at about 28000 miles. I found that out the hard way.

Guess what? My other wagon just decided to leak anti-freeze all over the place. When it rains it pours. Got a new water pump coming in this week.
I decided to call the guy that rebuilt my 727. He also does rear axles. My son and I pulled it out yesterday and I'll drop it off this week. We were supposed to pull the 318 out of my 69 Satellite convert but did the axle instead. Glad I did. Too much on my plate. Plus I can now replace all the old rear brake lines.

Back