Will Permatex 81730 flowable silicone fog up my original glass more?

BakonBittz

Reaction score
If I use something like Permatex 81730 will the acidic nature of the silicone make my original glass fog between the layers more? I've always heard to never use any sealer that "smells like vinegar" on this classic glass and it could lead to problems. I would like to stay away from urethane in case we ever want to redo the glass or decide to fully restore the car. In the past I've used the 3M 08509 Bedding and Glazing Compound in the glass channel but would like to try something a little more modern and hopefully a lot less messy. Has anyone had success using the Permatex 81730? Any horror stories?

Details that you may or may not care about: I'm reinstalling the original windshield into a '68 Plymouth Fury II using the original glass and gaskets. The windshield has fogging between the layers, about 2" on the drivers side, tapering off to about 1/4" on the passenger side, all on the lower edge. This doesn't bother me but I don't want to make it worse. I've found the old gaskets and seals to fit better than basically any new reproduction ones. From the body of the car to the rubber seal I used 3M 08509 Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound, but from the glass to the rubber seal I have a few small leaks. Thank you for the wealth of knowledge you all have already provided!

It sounds like that Permatex 81730 would work fine. I doubt that it would fog the glass futher.

The official product used for decades to seal the glass to the gasket was liquid butyl. Looks like there is still one company that makes it. It comes in a pint can that you can attach a hand pump to. You stick the nozzle between the glass and gasket, then pump away. It can be messy, but it works well and cleans up fairly easily with mineral spirits.

liquid butyl.JPG

Pump: CRL 181AG Adhesive Pump Only for 16 Fl. Oz. Can | eBay

liquid butyl pump.JPG

Jeff

The "fogging" you are concerned about is in the laminate between the glass layers. Usually from age and such, as I understand it.

Are you desiring to install the sealer in the groove in the weatherstrip upon installation or after the glass is in place in the car? I suspect that only a little bit can go a long way once it's compressed between the gasket and the glass?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

It sounds like that Permatex 81730 would work fine. I doubt that it would fog the glass futher.

The official product used for decades to seal the glass to the gasket was liquid butyl.

Jeff

Wow, that is a ton of good info and I really appreciate the links. I've never seen that before but seems exactly what I need/was looking for. This is the route I'll probably be going. I'll let you know how it goes!

Are you desiring to install the sealer in the groove in the weatherstrip upon installation or after the glass is in place in the car? I suspect that only a little bit can go a long way once it's compressed between the gasket and the glass?

The glass is already in place and yes i was looking for something to run between the compressed gasket and glass, then snap/put all the trim on. It is pretty watertight, just chasing a few leaks at the corners and wanted a bit of extra insurance.

Back