Windshield wiper bushing cast

Didn't realize the pc. was that complicated. Now I have to agree with you that your repair is probably the most expedient solution.

For what it's worth....

I'm done with anything 1978 big wiper cam related.

I was frustrated enough during my efforts to overcome this cam problem that I effectively and permanently replaced all of my big cams problems with the 74-77 small cam fabrication fix. IMHO and not trying to discourage anyone....No need to waste any more time on it and I recommend that anyone else with a 1978 to go the same repair/fabrication direction also. Sooner or later....anyone that is trying to recreate or redesign the big wiper cam will come to the same conclusion that I did.

I have no dog in this fight...

IMHO, what you've done is probably the way to go rather than trying to reproduce the 78 style wiper bushing. If I had a 78 NYB, that is what I would try to do.

Given that it might be hard to find the used parts and some don't have the skills to fabricate the piece you did, I think some enterprising person could make a part that could bolt in and solve this issue and make a couple bucks in the process.

I have no interest in building this part, but if I were to do it, I would have a bunch of the earlier style pins turned (a step pin) and then weld them to the newer style crank arms. The arms could either be an exchange item or new ones could be waterjet cut pretty easily.

EDIT: I would waterjet them with a hole for the step pin that would align the pin in the correct spot. I have the design in my head if someone is really interested.

That's just some thinking from my recliner while I try to get the ambition up to go out in the cold and get the empty trash cans from the end of the driveway.

That's just some thinking from my recliner while I try to get the ambition up to go out in the cold and get the empty trash cans from the end of the driveway.
You have more ambition than I do.

EDIT: I just gave it another 30 seconds of thought.
Just stamp and machine CNC a zillion metal pcs. to Bob's design and pop on the 25 cent available bushings. Sell them for 24.95.

Last edited:
Just stamp and machine CNC a zillion metal pcs. to Bob's design and pop on the 25 cent available bushings. Sell them for 24.95.

This would be a pretty short production run, but a two piece construction would save a lot of material and machine ($$$) time.

I'm thinking that if you made 100 pieces, you'd be stuck with 50 of them for the next 10 years, so I would do some "pre-orders" to figure out the true market.

The crank arm would be easy to waterjet. The original is stamped ($$$ for tooling) and the waterjet could nicely duplicate the arm. There are some small shops (a friend has one that I would recommend) that could handle this easily. The real cost in that is doing the initial measuring and programming. The rest is ice cream.

Depending on the number of pins, I'd contract that out to one of the small shops around. Knocking out 50 pins after hours in someone's basement machine shop might be perfect. If you were talking 1000 pins, then there are screw machine shops out there that could get the job done, but honestly, one guy could machine up a bunch of them in less time than it takes for someone to get an old Warner Swasey screw machine set up for production.

So... off the top of my head, I'd figure $600 for a run of 50 pieces. Maybe more... maybe less...

So... if you got a pre-order of 25, your cost would be $24 each to fulfill that initial order. The other 25 would go into stock and your cost would covered.

Now it's just becomes how greedy you are.... (I'm a greedy SOB and used to charging $$ for my labor) ... and how much money you want to make and what the market will bear for price. We are dealing with cheap formal guys here... LOL.

And I still have to bring in the trash cans.

Those have been repopped at least twice that I know of.

I bought one for my 79 R-body from a guy in Ohio that was using silicone molds like the guy doing the 300 lenses is. Cost was $90 IIRC.

The part was perfect, couldn't tell it from original appearance wise. The plastic he used alas was not up to the challenge tho and it failed a short time later.

Van's had them at Carlisle I think the next year and I bought one (similar money maybe less) in case the wrecking yard replacement failed.

I sold the car and it was still in the glove box.

Kevin

Murray Park was selling a reproduction piece, but as it turned out, his was actually for a R-Body and won't come close to fitting.

There was a thread about it a couple years ago, but I can't find it and I have to get the trash cans... The mail came and the guy put it all on the porch (love Amazon) and now I don't have the excuse of waiting for the mail before walking out to the road.

Murray Park was selling a reproduction piece, but as it turned out, his was actually for a R-Body and won't come close to fitting.

There was a thread about it a couple years ago, but I can't find it and I have to get the trash cans... The mail came and the guy put it all on the porch (love Amazon) and now I don't have the excuse of waiting for the mail before walking out to the road.
Did you get those trash cans yet?:poke:

I've run the course on all the fixes including observing Murray's honest attempt to repop a big cam which didn't work a year or two ago.

However, another theory that someone else brought to the table exists that I think could work. I haven't tried it but i think maybe could work and that was replacing the entire wiper assembly and linkage from the wiper motor all the way to the first transmission on the left side with a complete donor R-body set up. Again, I have fabricated the 74-77 small cam fix on my cars and I'm done with any other attempts. My fabricated fix has been working for over 5 years without a single failure.

Taken at 1:15

V19Tobd.jpg

OTqfcKK.jpg

Note youngest son's Hondoyotasan fishcan POS sitting there.

Looks like a semi-rural probably reasonably quiet spot for your abode, John.

That mailbox... Does the letter carrier drive a a cabover?

Yea, all my neighbors went round and round with a mail carrier that was gripping about the mailboxes being too low after the road was repaved and raised a couple inches. She was a PITA about everything, especially if there was any snow. She said the mail boxes were too low, it hurt her arm and she stopped delivering mail to a bunch of us.

Long story short, I got the spec from the Postmaster (who was sick of her crap too) and raised the box to the maximum height. I documented it, the Postmaster looked at it etc. and I started getting my mail on a regular basis again. My neighbors also raised their boxes.

She's gone... and I haven't had a problem with her replacement.

Back