Wood Grain

vdk2010

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of wood this wood grain imitates?

001.jpg

001.jpg

My guess would be some sort of a walnut

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1969-1973-imperial2.htm

Inside, the new Imperial featured an instrument panel typical of late-Sixties Chrysler products -- basically a long rectangle padded top and bottom that spanned the entire width of the vehicle (a look favored by Engel). Recessed into its central cavity was an inclined plane on which were positioned the various switches, thumbwheels, climate and radio controls, clock, and a full set of gauges, all lit by ultraviolet spotlighting.
On the passenger side of the dash, this area was occupied by a flush glovebox decorated in simulated "crossfire walnut." This panel was used through 1973, with model-year changes to the color and pattern of the woodgrain.

In an effort to reduce the risk of knee injuries from unrestrained center-seat passengers, the ignition key was moved to the left of the steering column, which must have been awkward at best for most right-handed drivers. It lasted just a year, being replaced in 1970 with a steering-column ignition lock.

Interior decor was suitably luxurious. Each door, for example, was fitted with illuminated power controls and boasted a padded flip-up armrest concealing a handy glovebox; rear doors also housed an ashtray and cigarette lighter.

I know '67 was the last year for the real wood veneer or, at least that's what I've read on the web and in '67 it is walnut.

Sounds like walnut is the answer. Thanks!

I decided to do a complete exchange of all wood grain because I will never find the exact stock pattern. I'm not sure which way to go. In my final selection are 3M Di-Noc foil and real wood veneer. I will do more research and a few tests on both methods before I choose one.

Any experience report of one or the other would be great!

I would try to go with the real wood veneer but that's just the carpenter in me....

I'm going to order some examples and try to work with it. I'm sure it's not easy to work with...

There's a series of pages up on the Online Imperial Club (imperialclub.org) by one of the old members who passed away a little while back. He did a complete ground-up resto on a '67 including working with the veneers. The site is down right now to have a server replaced, but you should check it out when it's back up.

Edited to add: Apparently they have it back up again: http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1967/DickBsRefurb/index.htm

The guy was apparently an aerospace engineer, and did a fantastic job. If anyone has seen the car that had the bit on bringatrailer.com, that was the car.

Looks like it.

I never met the guy, but another Imperialist in San Diego (with a '61 and '65, used to have a '67) knew him fairly well, and spoke very highly of him. Very smart, very meticulous, and very generous with his time.

If I remember, his estate sold his car for $10k on eBay. Shame it only fetched that much.

Thanks for sharing this! That's a stunning rebuild! And a lot of great imformations! The difference is that he made this with a car that already had real wood veneer. The wood grain places in my car are not "made" for real wood veneer. I hope that's not a problem...

Back