Would a billet aluminum transmission pan be worth getting?

Engine, Transmission & Driveline

What sort of transmission pan do you use?

1. Original steel

60.0%
  2. Replacement OEM steel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. stamped steel with drainage plug

8.0%
  4. deep, higher volume stamped steel

16.0%
  5. MACHINED steel, standard or enhanced volume

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. cast aluminum

8.0%
  7. billet aluminum

8.0%
  8. FORGED aluminum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. OTHER

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gerald Morris

Gerald Morris Senior Member

FINAL NOTE! 2 days after installing Moroso gasket, the tranny was sieving fluid again, just as before. I checked the pan bolts, and LO! they had BACKED OUT from the modest 120 in-lb setting specified by Moroso. So I retorqued them. MORE important, I found the MAJOR leak: the Neutral Start Switch! I had been warned by the shop that this switch could become a leak, and, it had. So, I spent $70, cursing the rarity of NOS NSSes for the 65-66 A727, screwed the new NSS in, and NO LEAKS!! I guess the leaky NSS wet the bolts enough to allow them to back out some, exacerbating things.

Its been 4 days now. If I can go a week without any fluid loss, I'll shop for some good synthetic ATF or at least top grade mineral stuff. I think Wolf's Head makes some good ATF, as does B & M. I saw the latter touted as being especially formulated for the Torqueflites, as well as the C4 and C6 by ford. I like both of those almost as much as the Torqueflite! Bodes well.....

2. 3175375

3175375 Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Good work!
    I concur with your opinion on the C6. The C4 just doesn’t have enough beef internally.

3. BIGBARNEYCARS

BIGBARNEYCARS Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Mr Morris. Please re-read my #33 post on this thread. Why go any farther then your local Mopar dealership to get the Best Good S**t on the planet. Just let it stand overnite before refilling the transmission. I'm done

4. twostick

twostick Senior Member

Don't over think the fluid. Type F might give you a slightly firmer shift if that's what you're after, otherwise what ever they call Dexron these days is good.

Not enough difference if any in any of the Boutique Brands to matter in the real world so whatever is red and on sale at Walmart will be more than good enough.

Kevin

5. Gerald Morris

Gerald Morris Senior Member

Hmm. Good thinking! I normally use Walmart's SuperTech Type F, which now is their least expensive per quart. FYI, they use Shell for their source on that stuff, which is a good quality outfit. Wish they hadn't cut down the zinc in their diesel motor oils though....

Very true! Dragsters love the C4, and the old 2 speed GM Hydramatics and Ford/Borg Warner Fordomatics, both 1950s holdovers which I've had on their two sports trucks of the early 60s at times. Mopar did it right the FIRST time on SO MANY basic innovations.