‘71 Fury - Stop light / Fuel doesn’t work

BE_Fury

Reaction score
Hello

Hello I have a problem with my electrical system.

Actually, I wanted to get the fuel gauge to work. When measuring, it turned out that the fuel gauge is broken. I installed a new one and then tested the wiring. Everything works, from the fuel gauge to the fuel gauge.
I haven't been able to figure out what's going to happen after that.

Now comes a problem. Ever since I checked the fuel gauge, the brake light has stopped working. Parking light / light, turn signal works. Reversing lights also work.

Tested all cables from light to brake pedal. Without problems. I replaced the turn signal relay, but that didn't change anything either.

What could be the problem?

B94852EE-B8DC-4332-AA3C-5FA8B82AE238.jpeg

B92516B5-FE72-4CC4-97A7-4CEF88B791F1.jpeg

5226C407-2658-4FC8-B5C3-8C254FE3B051.jpeg

00FB6AE7-878F-45BC-8D36-558D80EF841D.jpeg

The two problems are unrelated. Run a test light from the connector to the tank unit to a good ground, do this with the lead disconnected from the tank unit. With the key on, you should get a blinking test light. If this does not happen, most likely the cluster voltage regulator is bad or the cluster circuit board has failed. Cluster regulator is much more likely to fail than the circuit board. The lead to the fuel tank could also be bad or the tank has a faulty ground.

There are two connectors on the brake light switch, if you run alligator clips between the two connectors and the brake lights come on, the switch is defective. Start there first. If the brake lights still do not come on, three is a fault either in the turn signal switch or the 4 way flasher switch. Be sure the 4 way switch is full seated in the off position as this is a common cause of brake light failure. Since the turn signals work, you know the wiring to the rear of the car is ok.

Dave

That insulator on the connector looks melted.

That could be the problem... or because of another problem.

And just because you didn't mention it, did you check the fuse?

stop.jpg

your dash panel grounds through the dash frame. if you are doing your testing with the cluster unhooked, you may want to hook up a jumper wire for a ground.

Thanks for your support

I checked the tank sender with resistance. It worked.

I checked the cable to the fuel gauge up to the connector on the display. It also worked.

I put 5v on the fuel gauge.

The needle went full. From here I don't know what to do.
Where is the cluster voltage regulator?

Where is the turn signal fuse?
I haven't looked here yet.

The two connectors on the brake light switch works.

Where are the turn signal switch or the 4 way flasher switch located?

Today i continued to search for the error.

I bridged the two connectors on the brake light switch. Unfortunately without producing a brake light.

The fuses are all okay.

I noticed two things. A relay is very rusted. What is it for? A plug is empty.

B19DCBBA-6427-4C44-B135-36467AD47E97.jpeg

071F8262-2460-498C-8B6C-3AF178FAD4DC.jpeg

DCEA570F-388B-4FF9-BA82-21130614F8D3.jpeg

7C56A877-FB51-45AF-9A70-8D7CEABB7FBA.jpeg

407B7AB6-A409-45EC-8722-2220E8355497.jpeg

A relay is very rusted. What is it for?
That is the time delay relay for the ignition switch light on the steering column. Open the door, ignition light comes on, close the door and it stays on for a short time (10-15 seconds?)

Reading between the lines here... I'm wondering if you have a factory service manual for this car. That would have wiring diagrams etc. that could help you figure this stuff out.

You can download the chassis portion of the FSM here: Service Manuals – MyMopar and if you download the '71 Dodge manual, it will be very similar to your '71 Plymouth.

Your own copy on CD can be bought from these folks: 1971 Plymouth Shop Manual CD Fury GTX Satellite Sebring Road Runner Barracuda | eBay

That is the time delay relay for the ignition switch light on the steering column. Open the door, ignition light comes on, close the door and it stays on for a short time (10-15 seconds?)

Reading between the lines here... I'm wondering if you have a factory service manual for this car. That would have wiring diagrams etc. that could help you figure this stuff out.

You can download the chassis portion of the FSM here: Service Manuals – MyMopar and if you download the '71 Dodge manual, it will be very similar to your '71 Plymouth.

Your own copy on CD can be bought from these folks: 1971 Plymouth Shop Manual CD Fury GTX Satellite Sebring Road Runner Barracuda | eBay
I have manuals as PDF on the PC. I printed out the circuit diagram and hung it on the wall in the garage.

I lack the knowledge and experience. But it keeps getting better thanks to many supporters. Thank you again!

To get back to my problem: Where in the car is the 4 way turn signal switch?

I had a similar issue with my brake lights as the turn signals and 4 ways would work, but not the brakes. Replaced the brake light switch and nothing. Got this and it solved the problem. And yes it does fit the 71 fury regardless of what Amazon says.

Screenshot_20230725-174929.png

I ordered the turn signal. As soon as I've installed it I'll let you know if it worked

I was also told at the BBTR that the brake light on my '71 Sport Fury was not working. Ivan tried to find the error, but the error could not be found quickly.
Today a friend took on the problem and was actually able to find it. It was a combination of corroded fuse contacts and corroded brake light switch. After both were cleaned, the brake lights worked again...

Back