1/8” NPT Plug stuck in Engine Block

GoneLoco99

Reaction score
Trying the remove a 1/8” NPT plug from the “engine oil” dipstick port. My engine guy, installed the 1/8” NPT plug after completing the engine build, to keep debris out.
Now I’m trying to extract it, to install my dipstick and ruined the hex head on the plug in the process.
Is there an “easy out” for these?
Thank you

Dipsticks are not usually threaded, but a press fit. Is there enough of the plug sticking out to grab onto? Or pictures of what you are working with?

My engine guy tapped the port,
to screw the plug in. So it would stay in during transport.

My engine guy tapped the port,
to screw the plug in. So it would stay in during transport.
I think your engine guy needs to fix this. There is no reason the dip stick opening should have been altered in any way. My re-builder put a simple rubber stopper in for transport. Normally that tube is press fit, but after it's removed you use a little RTV to prevent seepage, but now that it's threaded and tapered you may have other issues.

Trying the remove a 1/8” NPT plug from the “engine oil” dipstick port. My engine guy, installed the 1/8” NPT plug after completing the engine build, to keep debris out.
Now I’m trying to extract it, to install my dipstick and ruined the hex head on the plug in the process.
Is there an “easy out” for these?
Thank you

One more thing in addition to what has already been said: Do Not use and Easy-out. They always break off making a small problem a really big problem.

I would heat up the area around the plug and douse it with copious amounts of PB Blaster or Kroil penetrant. Then try to get a pair of vice grips on the plug to try and turn it out. If you get nowhere with that, it may be possible to weld a nut on top of the plug, so you can get the plug to turn using a socket or a box wrench.

Your engine guy is a dufus. . .

Back