Engine Swapping the Slant 6

66FURY_III you posted above (last April) that you were in touch with National Moparts about getting a sub-frame. How did that work out?

I picked up a subframe last august from a guy that was selling it at Moparfest but it turns out that it also has slant-6 mounts. But it's in absolutely fantastic shape. It has the correct torsion bar mounts for a fury (vs dodge or chrysler). You could have someone weld in a V8 cross-member into this one and you'd be all set. Where in Ontario are you?

You posted this last year:

> As it stands now I'm looking for any slant 6 to small block Schumaker mounts. I know @gyknot had some slant to big block ones.

As far as I know, there would have been no difference in the mounting a small block or big block, so the idea that there would have been a different conversion mount from /6 to small block vs /6 to big block doesn't make sense. What does @gyknot say about that?

I've looked into conversion mounts recently, there's no such thing ever made is my understanding.

Last edited:
Why is this a "slant-6 to big block" conversion mount (and not a slant-6 to any V-8), and

Why is it only for A-bodies (why would the body type matter) ?

"This Conversion Kit allows a simplied installation of any Big Block Engine into your 67-72 A Body, directly onto your original Slant Six K-Member."

I’m pretty sure that slab c bodies and A bodies have completely different motor mount biscuits, so an A body kit wouldn’t work. The difference between small and big block is the bracket part that bolts to the engine is different between the two. If you want bolt in ease, you likely will need a v8 stub frame. The other possibility is finding someone to fab the perches on the crossmember to accept your stock v8 mounts. You aren’t going to find conversion mounts for a C body, they were never the object of hot rodders dreams.
Travis..

66FURY_III you posted above (last April) that you were in touch with National Moparts about getting a sub-frame. How did that work out?

I picked up a subframe last august from a guy that was selling it at Moparfest but it turns out that it also has slant-6 mounts. But it's in absolutely fantastic shape. It has the correct torsion bar mounts for a fury (vs dodge or chrysler). You could have someone weld in a V8 cross-member into this one and you'd be all set. Where in Ontario are you?

> As it stands now I'm looking for any slant 6 to small block Schumaker mounts. I know @gyknot had some slant to big block ones.

As far as I know, there would have been no difference in the mounting a small block or big block, so the idea that there would have been a different conversion mount from /6 to small block vs /6 to big block doesn't make sense. What does @gyknot say about that?

I've looked into conversion mounts recently, there's no such thing ever made is my understanding.

I did call National Moparts a few times last year however they did not have any in stock. I am still on their call list if they do end up with a V8 one, sadly no calls as of current. I'll try again this coming Monday when they open.

I'm near Barrie Ontario where there are a surprisingly high amount of Mopar guys with tones of cool toys.

I reached out to Schumaker directly and they said they have no plans of producing a conversion mount.

Still having a good time turning wrenches and seeing what happens.

I’m pretty sure that slab c bodies and A bodies have completely different motor mount biscuits, so an A body kit wouldn’t work. The difference between small and big block is the bracket part that bolts to the engine is different between the two. If you want bolt in ease, you likely will need a v8 stub frame. The other possibility is finding someone to fab the perches on the crossmember to accept your stock v8 mounts. You aren’t going to find conversion mounts for a C body, they were never the object of hot rodders dreams.
Travis..
Thank you for clearing that up Travis, I guess I will have to see what is involved in fabbing up those perches. I imagine I could get it done with a lot of swearing and beer.

85 will have the A998 lockup trans with the super low first gear since most M bodies had a 2.2 rear gear ratio.
Not a bad transmission, they are reliable as long as the lock up does not act up.
The engine will have smog heads with small exhaust ports below the normal exhaust ports.
You can either run the 85 manifolds or drill tap and plug the smog ports.
Some mid 80's 318 had additional smog pipes attached to the back of the exhaust manifolds that can be cut and sealed.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for those tips!
I think I'll elect to plug those ports for the smog nonsense. I didn't find any extra smog pipes when I took apart the old system (thank god) so that some good news.

I initially looked at new heads and then new cam and it kept spiraling. So for now I'll stick with the stock engine and see if I like it or want to build a monster.

Since I was asked, here goes.
I suspect the location of the frame mounts would be the same in any of the body styles. But, I don't know that for a fact. Yes the engine mounts I'm sure are different between them.
I was going to take my chances, but then gave up on the whole big block swap. I have other performance stuff so putting it back to a slant 6-3spd manual appeals to me.
If you have to fabricate some part of the mount anyways, I would do as stated above, and cut out the slant 6 mounts and weld in the correct V8 mounts. Then you can just use off the shelf parts from there.

I would have warmed up the slant, nothing pics the intrest like a 4bbl banana intake when the hood is opened.

Since I was asked, here goes.
I suspect the location of the frame mounts would be the same in any of the body styles. But, I don't know that for a fact. Yes the engine mounts I'm sure are different between them.
I was going to take my chances, but then gave up on the whole big block swap. I have other performance stuff so putting it back to a slant 6-3spd manual appeals to me.
If you have to fabricate some part of the mount anyways, I would do as stated above, and cut out the slant 6 mounts and weld in the correct V8 mounts. Then you can just use off the shelf parts from there.
I think that I'll have to go out and cut those mounts off and try my hand at welding them in. I've put another email out National Moparts in the hopes they have a complete K member for a v8 now, fingers crossed. If not then I'll have to try to find a detailed diagram of V8 mounts and see how to go about fabbing them up. Any idea who would sell those mounts off hand? In Ontario most things are so rusty its impossible to find in a wrecker. The place I got the engine from, someone took the K member a few years prior for a pretty radical 34 street rod build.

No idea where you could find the parts. Out west here, frames survive quite well. But they have mostly gone to the crusher too.
Good luck on the search.

Western US is where you’ll find what you need. Maybe you can find someone that will cut the mounting portion off so you don’t need to ship an entire stub frame. Try wildcat in Oregon or valley auto wrecking I believe it’s called in Arizona. You could also put a wanted ad on here. Someone has what you’re looking for.
Travis..

Western US is where you’ll find what you need. Maybe you can find someone that will cut the mounting portion off so you don’t need to ship an entire stub frame. Try wildcat in Oregon or valley auto wrecking I believe it’s called in Arizona. You could also put a wanted ad on here. Someone has what you’re looking for.
Travis..
Great advice Travis, thank you!

I have done a /6 to a BB swap in a 66 Fury. Personally, I wouldn't do it again. I should have have used the Schumacher A body /6 to SB kit and thrown in a stroked SB.

Commando 1---
Did you use the Schumaker A body to BB mounts? As I mentioned I have a set I was thinking at one time of using in a C body but nobody could tell me for sure if they would fit or work.
Just curious how you did it.

Commando 1---
Did you use the Schumaker A body to BB mounts? As I mentioned I have a set I was thinking at one time of using in a C body but nobody could tell me for sure if they would fit or work.
No. I spent hours rummaging through a junk yard trying to find something close to what I could use. I can't remember what each one came out of. I think one was from an E body. I did so much butchering to them I should have started from scratch with angle iron.

@66FURY_III check out this thread:

At some point this year, I hope, I'm going to cut those /6 mounts off the cross member and fabricate / weld a set of V-8 mounts. I'm under the impression that for this slab-type subframe there's no difference in the mounts between SB and BB. I'm positive that frame is for a Fury because of the shorter torsion bar sockets. This frame looks like NOS, like it was never installed on a car.

I'll sell the frame now, as-is, but I'll be asking more when I change the mounts. I'm in London. If you want more photos of it, send me a PM.

Back