100+ Mph bog down

Daniel Romero

Reaction score
I went down the interstate today and had my foot in it all the way. Once I got to about 105 I noticed that the engine seemed to dip down and lose power but once I took it back down to about 90 it ran fine. My carb needs rebuilt. Could it just be dumping too much fuel causing it to bog down at that speed with the throttle all the way open at that point or what else could it be?

I went down the interstate today and had my foot in it all the way. Once I got to about 105 I noticed that the engine seemed to dip down and lose power but once I took it back down to about 90 it ran fine. My carb needs rebuilt. Could it just be dumping too much fuel causing it to bog down at that speed with the throttle all the way open at that point or what else could it be?

It's far more likely your fuel delievry is insufficient at that speed than "too much". It's all venturi effect by then, so not likely the carb. Fuel pump or filter is where I'd start.

SERIOUSLY..., you are worried about a "bog" @ 105 mph while driving...
:BangHead:

Oh yeah? What if you're runnin' from tha po-po?
bath-township-po-po-1.jpg

I would also check the pickup screen on the sending unit if the problem persists after changing the fuel filter. Could also have a fuel pump drive rod that is "short".

Dave

Hopefully it's county cops chasing you so all you need to do is cross the county line and you're off scot free. :icon_fU:

Last edited:
This does beg the question, does the OP hold the land speed record for C Body forum members?

One in a thousand...
Even with first grade Arithmetic, you can see the odds against you.

What if it's a story problem? A Plymouth Prowler encounters a Ford Crown Vic while heading up the base of a mountain in remote, rural AZ. (Yavapai County if you're interested.) Prowler driver knows that physics are on his side, the nearest backup is probably miles away, and his ultimate destination is even more remote. Suddenly the odds aren't as poor.

135mph in a Fury 1 police (1970) across the Arizona desert. Still have the car, circa 1973. FYI belted Polyglass tires do no last long at that speed. Threw chunks from three of them on that trip.

Dave

Pics of the car, are on the pdf below, it is an unrestored Oregon State Police cruiser. Still an excellent driver at 96k.

Attachments

• Mail0012.PDF
    628.6 KB · Views: 330
  • Mail0011.PDF
    655.1 KB · Views: 312
Sheesh! I didn’t realize I was gonna have judgement passed on me from everyone for a simple question! Trust me, folks. I don’t regularly do over 100 in my Fury. I treasure my car too much to run it into the ground. Quite honestly, I’m usually right on the speed limit because I have no cruise control and have to watch my speeds manually. Nevertheless, I do want to know what my vehicle’s limitations are and the last time I drove at these speeds was about a year ago and I had it around 110 (if the speedometer can be relied upon) without the hesitation I recently encountered. I’m just looking for non-judgemental advice so I can ensure my ride continues to run tip-top.

Back