11/32 in what world...

66furys

Reaction score
It just amazes me that some numbnut engineer (of my discipline, but yes pajorative) comes up with a nut for the No. 10 (maybe 8) stud that is neither 5/16 nor 3/8. And, I recall a time when I was out of town in my mopar diesel truck with a bad starter. Under the truck I go, after finding one at auto parts. In the lot, at nite, and yes, the Dodge, now Ram, had a 12 point metric bolt that held it in the truck. BUT, I will say that I did not have to dig out an 11/32 wrench for the solenoid wire. What were they thinking. Having worked govt, I do not know whether the Snap On set includes this size, but am doubtful, since only the ignition wrench sets seem to. Aaargh.

1/4” socket sets from the pro tool brands have an 11/32 socket in them. Can’t tell you about K mart or harbour fright

I agree with you, but when I crawl up under, I want to have a handful of the tools I will need, and 11/32 ain't one of them.....this after about 50+ years of crawling. Not happy. I guess I am just inexperienced. Just whining.

(Thought maybe "11/32" meant tread depth on a P225/75-15 tire?)

I have a 1992 B350 van. It's half US and half metric. If it bolts to the engine, trans or diff it's US, if it attaches to something that bolts to one of those or the body it's metric. I had to take the passenger seat out. The nuts are 18MM hex! And yes as a life long Mopar guy I carry an 11/32 because it takes the wire off the starter and I think the starter relay too!

ooooh, max wedge. When young, one friend had a 63 ply with the 426 and 4 spd. He used to stop on a hill in the city, and say, watch this, as he started in 4th. Always was one of my favorites. But, no, the metric will not fit the 11/32, as unbelievable as that sounds.....you would think somewhere in between, but as I am wiring things, that nut on the starter tested my patience.....and not being a doctor, I dont have many patients.

Kevin, you could be correct.....it has been some years for me.....have owned about ten of the diesels, but am old now, brain no good.

11/32 is 8.73 mm approx 9mm. So 9 mm socket should work. Today's cars are metric. In the late 70s and early 80s became a mixture of SAE and Metric. As a side note, all spark plug threads are metric and always have been. (Not the pipe threaded plugs of the model T.)

My 1/4 inch drive Snap On set from the early '80s has an 11/32", both deep & shallow. Working on early '80s to around '90 ish vehicles was always an adventure in figuring out is it metric or SAE?

The smaller the socket is the less fudge room you have to get a metric to fit a standard.

Worked at dealerships in the late 80’s on up and what a pain in the rear end with half metric half standard.

11/32 starter nut is a non issue in the big scheme of things.

Thought I had tried the 9, but yes, it does work on these nuts. And for grins, I now want to go thru the engine bay on my 16 chevy diesel, and see what is normal and what is metricated. Concept of the metric system is great, but try to figure out what a newton-meter is...it will drive you nutz. A friend torqued his VW diesel head down to the wrong standard, and actually cracked off a section of his head. I spend my day explaining mm, cm and of course nano-meters, although I do not want to use them. Oil is still mostly quarts, and our shot vials are cc's. Oh well. Now I ask you, when will they change the barrel of oil.....I think 42 gal, to the ISO....not today. And gas at the home is msd in ft3, but in m3 in the pipe....just to keep things confused.

Remember the airplane that was fueled in liters instead of Imperial Gallons! Or the Mars shot that was measured in miles or kilometers or feet or yards or meters or ......... But we're going to measure combustion chambers in CCs in a motor measured in Cubic Inches!

Electrical nuts have been 11/32" for half a century or longer.

Last edited:
My 86 ram charger had several 15mm nuts and bolts. 18mm bolts and nuts are now common. Since I own several american and vintage European classics. I have both SAE and metric tools. Also know the crossover tools, i.e., 14mm and 9/16, 11 mm and 7/16, 8mm and 5 /16, etc.

Back