140 mile road trip

Finned61

Reaction score
Took the 61 for a nice cruise today. Had a blast with the family!

Screenshot_20230506-212043_Gallery.jpg

Hell yeah! That's what it's all about, putting some miles on while enjoying the trip.

Last edited:
Big thumbs up. Drive'm if you got'm. Reminds me of early 90's when we were still tooling around in our original condition 65 Dodge Coronet 500. All faded paint, patina and torn upholstery. Not to neglect the rattle rattle of the poly 318.

Speaking of "rattling" Poly 318's, anyone know what that rattle was? I know it had mechanical lifters; were these the source of that rattle?. I've had about 3 other 68 and newer 318's in other cars and they never rattled.
The engine in the 65 Coronet was pretty sludged up in it's final years. My dad mostly just drove it back and forth to train station unless I "borrowed" it.

A great reminder for me when I Went for a road trip with my Dodge a while back also, mineral wells TX was the destination, and visiting small towns en route.

Roughly was a 95 mile trip, what a great highway cruiser. Of course the car was reliable and took the 6 hour drive like a champ.

Some people think you are nuts going on a road trip with a
C-body/forward look car, but the mistake they make was that C body's/forward look cars were just entering the scene where highway/interstate driving was begining.

Some pictures below of the reliable steed it's self.

PXL_20230922_235540095.jpg

PXL_20230923_000302855.jpg

I live in city of about 270,000. I hate even driving a little bit in town. To many people on their damn phones! I can't wait to get out on the highway, lot less chance of getting hit. Just have to watch out for critters on the road or in the ditch. The C body is the ultimate Interstate car. A 440 with 2.76 gears in the back, is the best. I use 2.76 gears in all my cars. I travel as many back highways as I can-the scenic route! and the small towns.
I love small towns. This from someone who has lived in a city of 4.5 million since the 1970s and I'm tired of it!

A great reminder for me when I Went for a road trip with my Dodge a while back also, mineral wells TX was the destination, and visiting small towns en route.

Roughly was a 95 mile trip, what a great highway cruiser. Of course the car was reliable and took the 6 hour drive like a champ.

Some people think you are nuts going on a road trip with a
C-body/forward look car, but the mistake they make was that C body's/forward look cars were just entering the scene where highway/interstate driving was begining.

Some pictures below of the reliable steed it's self.

View attachment 618477

View attachment 618478

I live in city of about 270,000. I hate even driving a little bit in town. To many people on their damn phones! I can't wait to get out on the highway, lot less chance of getting hit. Just have to watch out for critters on the road or in the ditch. The C body is the ultimate Interstate car. A 440 with 2.76 gears in the back, is the best. I use 2.76 gears in all my cars. I travel as many back highways as I can-the scenic route! and the small towns.
Yes sir! I've got 2.76 gears as well with a 361, gets decent milage also! Gets Around 21 MPG if I try really hard to not romp on the go pedal.

More people need to go on a long road trip with their classics, sort of like the power tour held every year or so.

Speaking of "rattling" Poly 318's, anyone know what that rattle was? I know it had mechanical lifters; were these the source of that rattle?. I've had about 3 other 68 and newer 318's in other cars and they never rattled.
The engine in the 65 Coronet was pretty sludged up in it's final years. My dad mostly just drove it back and forth to train station unless I "borrowed" it.
A valve adjustment sounds like the cure for your rattle.

Back