WANTED 15x8 Road Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just when I thought the world was flat ... :)

Thanks Big_John. and Cantflip for calling its existence out.

That's a nice wheel. Yeah, the trim ring thing is apparent but wouldn't bother me. If you used the "correct" trim ring, would it look different?

At 15x8 though .. the "gap" between ring and wheel face would be that much more pronounced I'd guess -- can't wait to see what Aidan did.

Still, its a great-looking wheel man. Can you post a pic of them in use on your car if possible?

Still, its a good-looking wheel man. Can you post a pic of them in use on your car if possible?

Right off the show field at Carlisle.

dsc03525-jpg.85338

thats a beauty man. tire size you went with? source of the trim rings?

sorry to press .. but if a 15x8 isnt in the cards for me, I need something else. what you've done is really sweet.

thanks.

Let's face it. There is no alternative wheel out there, other than a gen-yoo-wine Road Wheel, that looks good on a Fusie or Formal (Slabs need Magnums). These will never, ever, be repopped ($&$&$&$)
yes, that's not the "correct" trim ring, but I like it.
and I like it too. For future reference, what are those trim rings from?
Also, did the 6½" and 7" Road Wheels use the same trim ring or was the 7"ring deeper?

thats a beauty man. tire size you went with? source of the trim rings?

sorry to press .. but if a 15x8 isnt in the cards for me, I need something else. what you've done is really sweet.

thanks.

235/60 on the front and 275/60 on the rear. The tires were on the car when I bought it. If I were to buy tires for it, and I'll need to one of these days, I'd might stay with the 275/60 rear, but do something taller on the front. The other thought is to go to a taller 255/70 front and rear. That would be an inch narrower tread width for the rear, but an inch taller. The 7" wide wheels are a little narrow for the 275/60 so the 255/70 might make more sense.

The trim rings were also on the car. The PO (good friend of mine) bought them at Carlisle quite a few years ago. There used to be a dealer there that had piles of generic trim rings.

While we're on the subject (albeit off-topic :rolleyes:), I came across these two pics.

Interesting:

8207479471_c23344d7e0_z.jpg

and this FAIL:

7853838508_f8fe09afe7_b.jpg

My wheels have the Diplomat appliques on them too.

Road Wheel Fillers.

It's funny, the PO did a couple things that everybody really likes and I wish I could take credit for them. One is the wheels.

While we're on the subject (albeit off-topic :rolleyes:), I came across these two pics.

Interesting:

8207479471_c23344d7e0_z.jpg

and this FAIL:

7853838508_f8fe09afe7_b.jpg

threads go where they go man :)

that sure looks like one on the chevy .. BUT the bolt pattern would be 5x4.75 so that must be a GM look-alike piece?

i never rag on anybody about their wheel choices.. their money, their car, their choice. but somehow the Chrysler road wheel looks best by far on C-bodies 69-78.

that's my bias anyway. your results may very :)

Last edited:
To clear some things up that were said here that are inaccurate:

1) The 15x 7 steel road wheel debuted in 1978 as the rim that the Salon wheel was based on...they were all painted black and not chromed because the pot metal applique bolted to the rim. The Chrome road wheels that were available on C bodies in 78 were 15x6.

2)From 1979-1981 all road wheels, chromed or not (the "Salon wheel was still available on Magnums etc), were 15x7 and relatively low production because Chrysler also debuted a large series of aluminum wheel options that year too. They were not limited to wagons in any way, or Diplomats. They were available on cars in the M body line (LeBaron, Diplomat etc.) regardless of platform and used a wider/ different trim ring than the 15x6. The M body road wheels had available the plastic inserts to easily colour tone the centre area.

For example here's a factory brochure pic of a 79 LeBaaron 2 dr with 15x7chrome road wheels.

1979-Chrysler-LeBaron-11.jpg

Thanks for weighing in Mr. C.

Any insight on practicality/technical challenge of making a 15x8 version .. i.e., start with a 15x6 "Road" Wheel or a 15x7 (which I don't have, nor the "correct" trim rings either) "Salon" wheel?

Last edited:
Thanks for weighing in Mr. C.

Any insight on practicality/technical challenge of making a 15x8 version .. i.e., start with a 15x6 "Road" Wheel or a 15x7 (which I don't have, nor the "correct" trim rings either) "Salon" wheel?

It will be costly and, as you already know, involves cutting the centre piece out of the rim and welding them into new 8 inch wide rims... and then there's chroming. You nneed to find a specialty shop that does rims or you'll wind up with a mess.

If you go this route, duplicate the dimensions of the rims you like and you can probably find a GM trim ring to fit.

cantflip .. your turning my world upside down :)

i didnt know of a 15x7, 16-slot road wheel used on wagons. not debating the point -- just never knew that.

a factory 15x8 road wheel used on trucks? now that would be quite astounding -- and made of unobtainium. i'd love to see a set -- again not debating their existence but i never woulda thought Chrysler made such a wheel.

thx!!
I picked up 4-15X7 roadwheels black,with the 16 slots and the seller said that they came off of a 79 Magnum. And did have a set of 15x8 off of a RamCharger, but did not have the 16 slots 5 on 4.5 very cool wheels, and looked good on the back of my 69 Coronet.

Last edited:
What size did the GM roadwheels come in? If they made a 15x8 would it be possible to redrill them for a 4 1/2 bolt pattern? Or is this idea way to Ghetto?

5I85G25S03L83F33H4ca89cad8a09946c1e32.jpg

What size did the GM roadwheels come in? If they made a 15x8 would it be possible to redrill them for a 4 1/2 bolt pattern? Or is this idea way to Ghetto?

View attachment 86485
You would never want to alter the bolt holes of a wheel... Aside from the holes being properly spaced(extremely critical), they also MUST have a proper seat for the lugnut to interfere with/bite into... there is typically a 1 degree difference in the angles to provide "bite" and prevent loosening of the nuts. That angle is aluminum wheels it may be less on steel, but still critical.

Whenever buying or inspecting used rims, always look at the seats for damage caused by over torquing the nuts. It is still very common for an idiot and an impact wrench to hammer wheels into garbage... if the lug holes are wallowed out, forget it... it has been destroyed. I know you can straighten a bent wheel in some cases, but I don't know of anyone with a fix for the lug holes... maybe someone else does.

Look back to post #2

Wollfen provided a link to a company... I would talk to them first, but if you need to provide the cores I wouldn't waste a pretty set of 15X6 wheels and never a rarer set of 15X7 to do this... all they will use is the centers.

I don't know the entire process, but imagine it involves some pretty accurate jigs to keep things in place for welding. It is common knowledge in the tire world, but often unknown elsewhere that most wheels are made ever so slightly offset to allow for "match mounting" of the tires... in steel wheels its nearly impossible to make one perfect, so it should be no big deal unless they manage to get it way off/out of balance. In machined aluminum wheels it is common to have tire problems if the wheel was made too perfect, because the tire seldom is.

IF I just gotta have a 15x8 "road wheel' (that desire will get tested before this is over), some preliminary hypotheses are forming...

1. don't start with a perfectly good set of 15x6 or 15x7 "road/salon" wheels, IF the the widening process is so destructive (cutting out the center) and needs remediation (rechroming the center). Find junk wheels with intact center (bolt holes must be good/finish irrelevant) and harvest center.

2. probably don't want work done by someone working out of their basement - they likely won't have the tools to get this right.

3. a "correct" brushed stainless Mopar trim ring -- to get the factory look as to fit/finish - is unobtainable for a 15x8 wheel.

4. get out my adult-sized wallet for a 15x8 wheel.​

Plan B Options.

1. Screw it ... just go with 15x6 C body road wheel version and a 235/70-75% aspect ratio tire.

My hesitance is the Newport is heavily modified - my old-school bias is big "meats" and big horsepower go together. I wanted a 275/60 tire for rears ... a 15x6 wheel won't cut it.

2. Find the 15x7 Road Wheel and Trim Ring set. A slight variant to B1 - but still a stretch to use 275/60's in back.

Like Big_John posted for his car, a 255/60 tire all around could be option though about an inch shorter in diameter than a 275/60 or a 235/70, it would provide the aggressive look I want and still tuck in nicely under the quarters/fenders.

3. Screw it .. car is modified anyway. just use whatever aftermarket wheel I like and move on. Basically this is the status quo for me.​

I'll go with Wollfen's suggested source in Post 2 for more info as to process and price and then post that info here. And hopefully get Aidan's view having lived through this.

Then decide.

Last edited:
As mentioned the widening of a road wheel will effect the trim ring fitment. PLEASE keep us posted on widening efforts. I've been thinking of doing four myself

If the widening method is cutting out the road wheel center and fitting it to a 7" wide rim yes if the profile of the 7" wheel profile is different, but they can also be cut in half/sectioned to have a 1" ring inserted to widen the existing wheel ring can't they?

If the widening method is cutting out the road wheel center and fitting it to a 7" wide rim yes if the profile of the 7" wheel profile is different, but they can also be cut in half/sectioned to have a 1" ring inserted to widen the existing wheel ring can't they?

Speaking for myself, yes, I have seen this kind of "sectioning" done before on steel wheels. Good welds/alignment are critical for the wheel to hold air of course and balance properly.

the center removal may have more to do with getting the backspacing customized. but as that center moves inward toward the car, OEM Mopar trim ring fitment is more of the issue I think.

I will ask these questions tomorrow to the guys in post 2. give them my spec - 15x8, 4.5 inch backspacing - and see what they say on how best to get that done.

Last edited:
Are there any shops around you that cater to the circle track racers? They usually can make/modify wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back