WANTED 15x8 Road Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANybody know anything about this truck and size of the wheel.. and maybe help a new member out?

WANTED - ROAD WHEEL SET

1974.jpg

If it's any help I run the 15x7 wheels with the voluptuous 255-70 15's basically the same circumference as the 235-75-15's but with more girth and rubber on the ground, with no sharp turn issues what so ever and my car is a 66 NewPort.

Will never work. Need another 4-5"

i was just looking cuz thought you'd photoshop a 17" road wheel/tire combo and put it on a C.

i never thought a 28" diameter WW for a 17" wheel existed :). very little demand for such a tire to justify a mold.

If it's any help I run the 15x7 wheels with the voluptuous 255-70 15's basically the same circumference as the 235-75-15's but with more girth and rubber on the ground, with no sharp turn issues what so ever and my car is a 66 NewPort.

thx.

any of your car pics posted here somewhere on forum?

thx.

any of your car pics posted here somewhere on forum?
sorry don't believe so, I'm low-tech, and I'm working with a vista p.c., so I will snap some photos, with my phone and will see what I can do, I do appreciate your interest.:thumbsup:

sorry don't believe so, I'm low-tech, and I'm working with a vista p.c., so I will snap some photos, with my phone and will see what I can do, I do appreciate your interest.:thumbsup:

Just getting a sense of the look you achieved with your tire/wheel set up .. not trying to put you out :) .

whenever you get a chance if you ultimately decide to put some pics on. your contributions to this thread are appreciated in any event!

:thankyou:

They vulcanize the whitewall on the sidewall of an existing tire.

ah ... that makes perfect sense then. way less involved (time and money) than tooling up a tire mold et. al. to make them the regular way.

thanks!

Just chiming in for what its worth... If you do find a 8 inch rim make sure the tire doesnt rub on the skirts in the rear, if the car your're putting them on has them. (I don't recall you mentioning what they are going on.) My 73 Imperial has 8 inchers on it now and they are very close to rubbing on the skirts. Just food for thought. Watch what tire size you pick.

Had a nice call with Brad - the "Mopar Dude". Good tip Wollfen :)

Centers will be removed and put inside a 15x8 "shell". Process does NOT sacrifice the surface chrome coating of center except at the very edges where the center is welded to the shell.

If centers have good chrome surface finish and good lug holes, that's how they will come out of the process. The argent in the center needs to be redone - -which he does.

The OEM shell's condition is not relevant -- its discarded by the process anyway

Offset to my specification of 4.5 inches is no problem. Choice of chrome shell or bare metal/painted shell. As we figured, the OEM Mopar trim rings would not "fit" the widened wheel in the same way as the factory wheel.

Price estimate: starting with cores supplied by me, $140 per wheel - a little less with the chrome shell (no painting needed), 1 to 3 weeks (its not his main business) turnaround time.

He remembered Aidan's wheels. It was challenging job -- the center was bigger than his shell -- but he's figured out how to deal with that for this kinda job.

He told me a lot of other stuff .. too much to put here and may not be relevant to any of you.

My suggestion is IF you want to know more, just call him with your specific questions .. he seems to be an accommodating guy ready to listen to what it is you want.

So the ball is back in my court. Your guys were spot on with your observations/understanding on this project.

:thankyou:

He doesn't re chrome. ..? Or sub it out?
What if you want an original trim ring? Now what?

Process does NOT sacrifice the surface chrome coating of center except at the very edges where the center is welded to the shell.

I had hoped that would be true. The factory obviously plated just the center and that had to be done before welding to the shell.

Choice of chrome shell or bare metal/painted shell.

Hmmmm. A chrome rim could cancel the need for a trim ring. Cheaper too? Wow... I think that's a no brainer. If you decide that the chrome isn't making it, a trim ring will cover the chrome.

At $140 each, I think that's pretty reasonable.

He doesn't re chrome. ..? Or sub it out?
What if you want an original trim ring? Now what?

He can re-chrome (farm out?) if you want. at some additional cost i'm sure.

If you want original trim ring, you need original offset - measured from front to back. otherwise the center is moving inboard giving a deeper face -- or maybe i missed your point? sorry if i did.

Last edited:
I had hoped that would be true. The factory obviously plated just the center and that had to be done before welding to the shell.

Hmmmm. A chrome rim could cancel the need for a trim ring. Cheaper too? Wow... I think that's a no brainer. If you decide that the chrome isn't making it, a trim ring will cover the chrome.

At $140 each, I think that's pretty reasonable.

I thought price was good too .. seems fair given the fair amount of investment in machinery and labor to do this work correctly.

on the ring ... I like the rings. :)

if i go chrome shells, then rings later, the chrome will be gone so no going back to "ringless". I emotionally moved away from needing a Mopar stainless ring ala a C-body .. none are wide enough except maybe that Rallye ring we discussed as a reasonable substitute?

I got the impression that $10-$20 less per wheel for chrome BUT i didn't ask - sorry.

Has anybody read who the manufacturer's code is on the wheel?
Mine has "MW" for Motor Wheel. Mine is from 1979, but I think it would be a safe assumption that all the road wheels were made by them.

FF0291F3-827F-490D-BC76-E00B91452186_zps0t4vbegh.jpg

I'll toss this one into the Road Wheel soup.

8 slot AMC:

1975_AACA_AMC_Pacer_X_red-white_wheel.jpg

Looks like the same wheel as the ones used on the Aspen Super Coupes etc.

7EDODGE_ASPEN_SUPER_COUPE.jpg

Mopar cop car wheels. Same wheel except for the "nubs" for the hubcaps.

69-series-chrysler-police-nocap_5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back