WANTED 15x8 Road Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking for myself, yes, I have seen this kind of "sectioning" done before on steel wheels. Good welds/alignment are critical for the wheel to hold air of course and balance properly.

the center removal may have more to do with getting the backspacing customized. but as that center moves inward toward the car, OEM Mopar trim ring fitment is more of the issue I think.

I will ask these questions tomorrow to the guys in post 2. give them my spec - 15x8, 4.5 inch backspacing - and see what they say on how best to get that done.

I forgot to say anything about wheel offset ... that was Dave's point I think about the trim ring no longer fitting ... not the wheel profile.

Some food for thought. You might be able to use a trim ring from a 15 x 8 rallye wheel.

But speaking of Rallye wheels... You can buy those in reproduction and (ducking head) I think they might look pretty good on the right C-body.

I've also seen the cop car wheels painted dark argent with a trim ring and either a small hub cap or a center.

My 53 Windsor is going to have cop car wheels. I may paint them and use stock full wheel covers some of the time and trim rings/small hub caps when I want it to look different.

Some food for thought. You might be able to use a trim ring from a 15 x 8 rallye wheel.

But speaking of Rallye wheels... You can buy those in reproduction and (ducking head) I think they might look pretty good on the right C-body.

I've also seen the cop car wheels painted dark argent with a trim ring and either a small hub cap or a center.

My 53 Windsor is going to have cop car wheels. I may paint them and use stock full wheel covers some of the time and trim rings/small hub caps when I want it to look different.

no need to duck from my perspective .. i don't "shoot" at people trying to help me :)

i have been fixated on this "tight fit" between the trim ring and the wheel face .. I always knew IF the wheel got wider this "gap' would widen necessitating a wider trim ring.

Wider rings can be had .. wider MOPAR stainless rings not so much. that said, I will check out the Rallye wheel rings.

thanks!

Not ducking my head from you... LOL...

There's not a lot of love on this forum for non road wheel options.

Not ducking my head from you... LOL...

There's not a lot of love on this forum for non road wheel options.

Oh, I DO know that.

I joined FCBO when my Newport was for sale a couple years ago ... lotta comments (some good, some not so good) on that car, particularly the wheel choice i made.

most was good-natured ribbing and cool .. but it took a few months to figure out whether people were having a little fun versus getting seriously ill about these wheel things :)

IMG_6109.JPG

IMG_6081.JPG
IMG_6105.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, I DO know that.

I joined FCBO when my Newport was for sale a couple years ago ... lotta comments (some good, some not so good) on that car, particularly the wheel choice i made.

most was good-natured ribbing and cool .. but it took a few months to figure out whether people were having a little fun versus getting seriously ill about these wheel things :)

View attachment 86488
View attachment 86489View attachment 86490

We are all different. I look at the picture and the wheels are fine, but the black grille surround instead of argent draws my attention first.

I think that Newport looks great especially with the rwl BFGs. I'm not a fan of the centerline type wheel usually but those very polished ones with the red centers don't look too bad

Normally, I wouldn't like the black surround, but it works on that car. I'd like to see some different wheels on the car, but they don't distract from it either.

I chose the Centerline-style because I was gonna use the Road Wheel bolt-on centers (had a guy ready to tap the wheel - but he never convinced me they be perfectly straignt so they wouldnt wobble/destabilize the wheel at high speed). I also like the Auto-drags. Got 'em on many of my modified cars.

I flirted with the 15x8 road wheel option seven years ago .. half-a** investigated it and gave up. I had 17 inch Torq Thrusts on it for while .. didnt ride right.

The grille.. its polarizing. Purists hate it. Others dig it likely because they don't now what its supposed to be, OR it could be (purist or not) they just like it. and "blacking out" grilles is a time-honored OEM styling option for "performance" cars.

Anyway, I inherited grille surround done that way. I could go either way on it. Couple guys here said it made them wanna "puke" back in May 2014 - so I said "fun crowd -- I gotta join" :)

Last edited:
I chose the Centerline-style because I was gonna use the Road Wheel bolt-on centers (had a guy ready to tap the wheel - but he never convinced me they be perfectly straignt so they wouldnt wobble/destabilize the wheel at high speed). I also like the Auto-drags. Got 'em on many of my modified cars.
Funny. That's the first thing I thought of when looking at your Centerlines, Could Road Wheel domes & caps fit on there?
You were one step ahead of me.

At first I thought they may be road wheel centers but decided they weren't. The centers are what make them work for me.

Wheels are a very personal choice. One of the things with a C body, especially a fuselage, is they don't lend themselves to a lot of different style.

IMHO, and I think many agree with me, none of the modern wheels look good on these cars. It needs a wheel that accents the car rather than calls too much attention to the wheel itself.

Fitting a road wheel cap to that wheel sounds interesting. FWIW, I don't think they are fitted as straight and centered as you might think. With it being close to the center of the wheel, I don't think it is that important. Don't get me wrong, it needs to be close... and if your guy centered of the hole in the center of the wheel, it should be fine.

Yes, because style choices for wheels is "personal" i give people a wide-berth on their choices. I might agree, might not, whatever .. folks can do what they want.

Interesting on the styling of wheels.

I digress: An OEM vehicle engineer told me once that, especially in the aluminum wheel era -- where wheel had to be structurally sound AND aesthetically pleasing -- the final design was more "art" than "science". He said he could design a hundred wheels that would handle the vehicle loading dynamics - but only a handful made the styling cuts in the end.

Of course design science is involved -- a subject for another thread -- in coming up with wheel designs for a given vehicle (and variants - sporty, basic, etc.) platform design. But in the old days, it could have been as simple/arbitrary as an executive coming down and saying "I like that wheel".

In the focus group era, more consumer inputs came in to the design process. Customers showed a statistically relevant preference for one wheel or another - style wise - and that had a large influence on the final production wheel. when asked "why' they picked a certain wheel, focus groups usually said "I just liked it". They just "know it when they see it."

Then you get into "why people like what they like" .. usually has to to do with symmetry, proportionality, and other human biases on what's "pretty" and what's "ugly".

My 26 year old daughter thinks her Fiat 500 is "cute". My reaction is: its "too darn small" and I don't really care beyond that about ANY styling element.

END OF DAY .. back where I started. People pick the wheels they like.

I have a set of road wheels for sale in the parts for sale section if it is of any help, they would be a good candidate and are $300.

I have been pondering this conversion, too. Eager to learn how it turns out. I have a set of slightly pitted 15x6 road wheels, which will need rechroming anyway.

And there is always the option of chomium paint. Done professionally it looks practically as good as the real thing.

And there is always the option of chomium paint. Done professionally it looks practically as good as the real thing.

Maybe a nice powder coat finish would work. Some time with a paint program and a wheel could come up with something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back