1953 Windsor

Next was the distributor.

The tag was really cool and in real nice shape.

I ground the rivets off the back to remove the tag in one piece.

Weights and springs were cleaned and greased and a Pertronix ignition module added along with a new vacuum advance.

I tapped the housing for some small screws to remount the tag and with a little paint, the distributor was done.

Needed a bracket for the throttle spring. I couldn't find the right one, so I made my own.

Since I'm converting to 12 negative ground from 6 volt positive ground, I decided to change to an alternator too. Notice I used a Chrysler alternator rather than the "one wire" GM POS. The generator mount got some sleeves welded in place to place the alternator where it needed to be.

I never noticed this until it was time to assemble the trans. The clutch face on the fluid drive was cracked!

I had another, but the fluid drive unit was "iffy". I swapped some parts which sounds real easy... but it was not. Again, I forgot more pictures.

This one isn't mine, but it gives you an idea what the assembly looks like.

The more I got into the wiring, the worse it got. The cloth covered wire was shot.

A bit of plywood and some nails to make new harnesses. BTW, this is the method electronic manufactures use to make new wire harnesses. My ex wife used to wire harnesses for towed sonar arrays on a board like this at GE.

This harness is for the dash.

Some were simple like this body light harness. The wire is modern plastic insulated wire with cloth woven over the top. I just really love the cloth wire look. I wrapped the wire in vinyl tape with no adhesive like the factory did it.

A nice winter time project was the dash. I removed it from the car and stripped and repainted it. I found a nice Ford metallic silver I liked and used spray cans.

The back was painted white so I can see it better. Note the stands.... Made from old bed frame and welded together in a tee shape.

New harness in place.

That's one ***** of an area to do. Nice job.
PLEASE keep posting pics of the progress!

w8q7q1.jpg

The speedometer really looked bad. The stuff right in front of me while I sit behind the steering wheel will drive me nuts if it looks bad.

PICT0006.jpg

The plastic bezel had a couple of funky circles cut in it. It must have had something mounted to it. The chrome really looked bad too. I bought another speedo without gauges on Ebay, mostly for the bezel and was pleasantly suprised to see the chrome was quite a bit better. The speedo shown in both is from the ebay unit. That will explain the mileage.

2013_0122Stuff0007.jpg

I sent that one out for chroming to a place recommended in Hagerstown, IN called Custom Metal Finishing. I'm not impressed with the results, with obvious scratches in the chrome. I won't be using them again. Its shiney though and by the time I got everything together, the scratches don't show as much.... Still irritates me though....

I installed the original speedo and gauges (all in real nice shape) and the best bits and pieces from both and it looks pretty good.

PICT0005.jpg

New vinyl on the padding and the assembled dash is ready to go back in.

I thought I could get by with the interior until Mrs. Big John's asthma kicked up when she was sitting in the car. One more thing!

The old door panels.

Using the old ones as a pattern, I cut new panels from masonite. After cutting, I sprayed them with Thompson's water seal.

New plastic on the doors. There was oil cloth there before.

Test fit.

Then a layer of closed cell foam.

Another layer glued over the top of that one. The grooves are for the chrome to lay in when they are put on. I laid them out with tape first.

Tweed in the center and vinyl on top and bottom.

Finished door panel.

The seats really looked OK. Someone installed some decent covers.

Original seat covers underneath.

The springs in the seat bases were covered with this flocking material to stop squeaks. Kinda cool.

New cover hog ringed in place.

Chrome on rear seat base screwed back in place.

Finished rear seat.

Back