1953 Windsor

With everything else, the car needs to stop. Front brakes for one of these cars is a tad pricey. The tools to adjust it correctly are $$$ and it just made sense to convert to front discs.

Replace the king pins too.

I worked out a deal to be the guinea pig for a new set of caliper brackets. The first try were too big. Come to find out, there are three different size spindles used.

Old brakes. Note the two brake cylinders and the adjustment for both shoes.

One really neat thing is the NOS parts come in old boxes. King pin bearing manufacture date!

The lower bushing is bronze and the upper is a roller bearing. No one around here had the right reamer to do this, so I had to buy one and do it myself.

Got the new brackets. Still not quite right. The caliper is slanted up on one side.

I welded the bolt hole closed and tapped a new hole for the caliper. I also had to grind clearance around the caliper.

Much better.

That's the progress to date. The interior needs some final touches and I need to replumb the brake lines and add my new dual master cylinder.

This car has been more work than I thought it was going to be. Honestly... I never would have done this had I known. I work like crazy on it for a few months and then leave it alone for a month or two. I got it back into my garage a couple weeks ago and I'm going to get a punch list going of what is left to finish. Stay tuned for more pics!!!

Thanks John that was like watching a restoration marathon .. like when I was a kid watching the original 'this old house'. I was wondering if it was done and driving and when you were going to stop before I posted but I enjoyed it all the way through.

Interesting project from the K.T. Keller years before Exner's design exercises caught on. I like these early post war designs as well but I'm a bit biased towards some GM models of these years. Keep us informed.

You're going all the way through a complete resto or just making it a reliable driver ? I'd tend to the latter with this car.

The car is going to be a driver! If I wanted a show car, I would have started with something a lot nicer.

That instrument panel and steering wheel is very cool!!! Keep us posted on your progress. It's a very nice project! Is it a 6 volt system?

It was 6 volt positive ground and is now a 12 volt negative ground with an alternator.

If he's going on with the pics in that pace, the car will be ready by tomorrow morning. :)

These pics are over a couple years. I don't work that fast anymore.

That's one ***** of an area to do. Nice job.
PLEASE keep posting pics of the progress!

w8q7q1.jpg

Yep, I farmed that out because I'm not very good at that stuff. The guy that did it is in his early twenties and is a pretty good fabricator.

Great workmanship and engineering!!!

Thanks for sharing!

How long did it take you to get to this point?

Nice work, it should be a fun cruiser.

watching this project has been useful for my own interior work, thanks for the pictures!

What function does that tiny yellow bulb in the middle of the grill serve?

No bulb there. It's a cloisonne emblem that fits in the center. There's one in the center of the trunk chrome too. Both are in rough shape with the enamel crazed. I'll replace it with a very similar cloisonne emblem that used on new Chryslers. We make those for Chrysler in our emblem shop, so the price is right... LOL.

I haven't touched the Chrysler in a couple months now. I gotta get back on it.

No bulb there. It's a cloisonne emblem that fits in the center. There's one in the center of the trunk chrome too. Both are in rough shape with the enamel crazed. I'll replace it with a very similar cloisonne emblem that used on new Chryslers. We make those for Chrysler in our emblem shop, so the price is right... LOL.

I haven't touched the Chrysler in a couple months now. I gotta get back on it.
Got it. I had to go back and look at the pic more closely, I can see its an emblem. Just quickly looking at the front of the car it looks like a light bulb....I think its because I've never seen a car like this or maybe noticed what it was rather.

Going through this thread and enjoying the progress really defines the term, "labor of love".
Very nice, you should be proud.

If I can be of service, I have MOUNTAINS of parts for this car -- all Brand New -- sorry, no pieces of car...
I have all the brakes, front end, ignition, electrical, a couple N.O.S. rear brake light switches & neutral safety switches!!, and lots more....and plenty of 6 Volt parts -- N.O.S. U.S.A. Flashers and headlights, ignition coils, voltage regulators, and more....
Chrysler, Dodge, DeSoto, and Plymouth were all 6 volt through 1955 ----- 1956 started 12 volt in the Mopar World.....

Back