1954 Windsor Wagon front clip

Boyd

Reaction score
I am getting started on my 1954 Windsor Wagon. While I was making plans, I got a look at the front frame horns and there is quite a lot of rust damage. Therefore, since this is basket case, I am doing a mild custom. I need to start shopping for a front clip.
I want to end up with disk brakes, AC and a V8.
What should I start shopping for? I hate to see Chryslers with a 350 Chevy front clip.
Hold the comments about another car please.

A friend had a '34 Plymouth sedan with all the front pieces off a transverse torsion bar Volare. The car rode and handled nice when it was done. Also saw a guy's late 40's Desoto being converted using a Dakota truck front suspension/frame.

But... I'd look at a Ford Crown Vic for the front part of the chassis if it were me... Just saying... still keep it Mopar powered though.

I know many moons ago when I was younger the front subframe assemblies from a Volare/Aspen etc were popular around here for swapping into frames for hot rods. Not only do you get the V8 mounts and disc brakes but it's also torsion bar so you can raise and lower the front end. My brother had one put into the frame of a 51 Ford panel van.

What year of Dakota, Volare or Crown Vic should I look for? By the way, I you guys are the best!

What year of Dakota, Volare or Crown Vic should I look for? By the way, I you guys are the best!
Don't know about the Dakota, but any year Aspen or Volare. The Crown Vic would probably be the last generation, 1998-2012

Don't know about the Dakota, but any year Aspen or Volare. The Crown Vic would probably be the last generation, 1998-2012

03 and newer is what you need for a Crown Vic swap. 03 was the first year for the 1 peice aluminum engine cradle and suspension module. Literally a bolt in swap once you locate where to fab the flanges for the 4 bolts that mount it.

The track width might be a challenge to work with tho. There is a vendor that sells a custom fabbed steel crossmember that is almost 5" narrower.

Narrow Crown Vic | Team321

Kevin

Back