1956 dodge questions what do I have?

Ok i have a 1958 Canadian model Chrysler Windsor with a paint code "XJX" the X code is coming up different than expected.
It seems as though Bill Watson may be able to clarify it for me.

X=Eggshell (also called Ermine)
J=Frosted Turquoise(also called spruce green)
X=Eggshell (also called Ermine)
If I am reading this correctly, that is a multi tone car in the above colors. From the '58 paint color guide. Might be an Ermine roof/spruce green fenders/Ermine lower body accent or some combination of these.

Dave

Last edited:
See i found French turquoise and spruce green definitely different
Screenshot_20210206-141937_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210206-141856_Gallery.jpg

Paint book shows spruce green for that code (J) on a '58 Chrysler. Does that look anywhere close to what is on the car the now?

Dave

No its a dark blue and if its a re paint it was done very well and a very long time ago I can't find a different color any ware

Screenshot_20210122-092137_Messenger.jpg

The color show in your photo looks like #25 Marlin Blue, this was a Dodge truck color. Try looking it up and see for yourself.

Dave

For 1958 Chrysler of Canada two tones -
X - Dover White - Roof
J - Spruce Turquoise Metallic - Lower
X - Dover White - Insert

The Big Three (GM, Ford, Chrysler) used US company colours, but also came up with Canada-only colours.
Also, all colours for Chrysler of Canada, for example, were available on all Chrysler of Canada makes.

To determine whether of not the colour on your Canadian-built Chrysler was a Canada-only colour is to check the Canadian Pittsburgh Industries (CPI) code. US Ditzler codes were 5 digits, with blacks and whites using 4.

With CPI, US colours were as in the US, while Canada-only colours used 4 digit codes. Black was 9000, as in the U.S., while whites were 4 digit with a "W" prefix. All codes had prefix DQE (Ditzler Quickset Enamel) or suffix DAL (Ditzler Automotive Lacquer).

For 1958, Chrysler of Canada had the following unique colours -
J - Spruce Turquoise Metallic - DQE-1262-DAL
K - Chateau Grey - DQE-3233-DAL
E - Aqua - DQE-4272-DAL
G - Marsh Green - DQE-4273-DAL
F - Moss Green Metallic - DQE-4281-DAL

The Spruce Turquoise has a strong green tint to it.

Bill
Vancouver, BC

Back