What kind/brand of ignition system do I have?

BakonBittz

Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a good day! My car died after a through/sloppy car wash, oops! It was sitting in the driveway idling + drying out, it missed once then shut off.

No big deal: it was on my list to go through the ignition system, it’s been dead reliable but I think that was more luck than my preventative maintenance! The black “potting compound” goop leaked out years ago and I’ve lazily never looked at the spark plugs :wideyed:

This is where things get confusing for me, it had been updated to an electronic ignition (in the 70’s?) but there is no branding left and I haven’t been able to find anything comparable to the internals of my distributor. The car came from the southeast, and the ignition module box was originally anodized blue. An old school Napa special? A standard motor products LX-40? that doesn’t exist anymore?

From what I can tell the distributor case is original to the car, as well as the 228 dated coil that is still going strong :eek: like I said luck!

I updated to a mopar performance ignition (with the orange box, I know…I know) and it runs great again. I was going to keep these original parts around and do PerTronix internals in the distributor or maybe even going back to points for the fun/originality of it, I’ve enjoyed tweaking them on my motorcycle and have had good luck with them so far.

Like always thank you for the wealth of information and take care :)

Edit: oh man I forgot the basics. 68 Plymouth Fury II with a 440

IMG_1153_Original.jpeg

IMG_0979_Original.jpeg

IMG_5904.jpeg

IMG_5908.jpeg

IMG_5913.jpeg

IMG_5909.jpeg

IMG_5910.jpeg

IMG_5911.jpeg

IMG_5912.jpeg

Last edited:
It's an aftermarket electronic ignition, very likely by Standard Ignition, but others sold the same generic piece. The distributor is a stock Chrysler with a magnetic pickup added that was part of the converson. Stock Chrysler coil.

Here's the ignition box. Standard Motor Products LX-405 Standard Motor Ignition Modules | Summit Racing

The distributor pieces may be available, I didn't look.

If it were me, I'd look at replacing with a Pertronix system or a Chrysler Electronic ignition. Another option is to go back to points. I doubt if you can get parts as easily for that system and it looks like it's been there a while.

Myself, I like the Pertronix conversion.

@halifaxhops might shed more light on the system you have and if it's practical to keep it.

Last edited:
It just hit me where I've seen that module. AMC used it in their electronic ignition cars in the late 70's. I remember seeing it in a Jeep I had. I think theirs was made by Prestolite, so maybe yours is from a Prestolite aftermarket kit. All those ignition part companies sold some version of an electronic ignition kit back in the 70's/80's. Most likely all the same, just different names on the box.

I found one in a search. MCR - Prestolite Replacement 6564, IDJ-3017E, IDJ-3017S, IHC827448-CI Ignition Module

1698529532042.png
That old system looks like a Accell conversion. Good for its day but forget about finding parts now. The New MP kits are a "licensed" product and made overseas, lots of issues with the ECU's and the distributors have a really fast curve in them more for the strip. To put a pertronix in you will need a mopar advance plate in it.

Man I’m so impressed at the knowledge you all have off the top of your head, thank you!

I found the LX-405 but I could never find a wiring diagram, looks like they changed a little over the years. I didn’t wanna burn anything up just plugging a new one in. For the time and effort to find that info I could go all new and get everything for $200-$250 which brings us to:

I use a Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition in my car; have for years.

I went with the summit racing branded kit:
Summit Racing SUM-851005-1 Summit Racing™ Billet Electronic Mopar Distributors | Summit Racing
I’m incredibly happy with it, easy to install and looks too good next to my dirty oily engine!

View attachment 624754That old system looks like a Accell conversion. Good for its day but forget about finding parts now. The New MP kits are a "licensed" product and made overseas, lots of issues with the ECU's and the distributors have a really fast curve in them more for the strip. To put a pertronix in you will need a mopar advance plate in it.

I think you nailed it! I had not seen one of those yet and it’s awesome to know what it finally is!

And like always you’re 100% right, I had a part throttle rattle as vacuum advance was still in and the mechanical advance started. I get what they were going for but it seems like a case of if a little is good; more advance and faster is better, not too hard dial out though.

I do have a spare ECU and ballast resistor just in case after reading all the threads. And I would love to have a spare all original distributor too but for now I’m back to driving and enjoying, that can be a winter project!

Brer Hoppy of Halifax has De Good ****, whichever direction you want to go with your ignition. I like points, though I snuck in a brand new 50 yr old NOS CD* box to work with the points, which is as close to an electronic ignition as I will allow on my '68.

If I wanted an electronic ignition, I'd likely go w a Mopar compatible one. Hoppy can do you right on those, or the Rick-O (Ehrenberg) in ePay. I trained a bunch of search engines to sniff out very good prices on good stuff, but that takes work too.... Still, I now have enough ignition parts to take us to 2050, assuming I last that long.... Better train my brats now.

*Capacitive Discharge

Back