1958 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Super D500 Convertible

I am speechless. No. Beyond speechless. Paralyzed by awe is more like it. No. Even that is inadequate....

Posted via Topify on Android

What a great bunch of folks on this site - it means a lot to me when others can appreciate these cars as much as I do and I can share them with you. I have come to the right place. THANK YOU ALL!!

smiley_with_wow_sign_1342785268-300x225.jpg

Thank you for sharing this part of your life Steve plus giving God the credit for your good fortune.
If you collect & care for others in your life like you have your cars, then you are a rich man indeed.
Wish you all the best!
Tom

That's an amazing collection! You sir sound like more than just a credit to our hobby so a big thanks for what you're doing from the Motor City!

I included a photo of myself....

Dad? Is that really you? It's me, your long-lost son!!! I've been searching for you for I don't know how long!

On a more serious note, I don't normally get to SoCal but after seeing that fleet, and the gracious invititation to visit, I'll need to start making plans. Oh, and I'd be picking that 300-C as my fave. What a car. Or maybe the Cuda...

Let's all rent a tour bus and head out .. stop and pick people up along the way like the Presley tours. I'd love to see that collection in person !

Thanks for showing some of them outside! Though you didn't show your 60 300F those are my favorites of all letter series cars. I'll pick that as my favorite. Loved them ever since I had my 60 Adventurer.
Thanks again Steve! God Bless

I believe I posted the 300F on another thread, but for the sake of completeness, I will also show it here. It has just under 30K miles and is unrestored. I have a hard time deciding whether to restore some items that have deteriorated a little or leave them as is, such a some red paint flaking off the rams and the padding under the dash pad is deteriorating, causing it to droop a little.

300F #1.jpg300F #2.jpg300F #3.jpg

300F #1.jpg

300F #2.jpg

300F #3.jpg

Problem with such detailing is always where to stop. I'd leave it as is. How many untouched letter cars are still around ?
Just my 2 cents.

Wow...just as I imagined. I would leave it also.. and drive it. A lot. LOL . Makes me want to visit California.

Problem with such detailing is always where to stop. I'd leave it as is. How many untouched letter cars are still around ?
Just my 2 cents.

Yep leave it alone and drive it in your year round wonderful California weather.

Part in italics said with a jealously mocking whiny voice

Wow...just as I imagined. I would leave it also.. and drive it. A lot. LOL . Makes me want to visit California.

Yep leave it alone and drive it in your year round wonderful California weather.

Part in italics said with a jealously mocking whiny voice

Although I am a STRONG advocate of driving your cars, in this instance, I have to disagree with these two comments. How many 1960 300F's do you see in original, untouched condition with less than 30K miles on the clock? I'd venture to say this may be the only one left in the world. Unfortunately, every mile you put on it devalues it a little. With our crowded roads, you also have the realistic danger of someone running into it which would absolutely kill the value. IMO, the value of this car is so high, Steve could probably sell it, buy a project 300F, restore it and put money in the bank.

I believe I posted the 300F on another thread, but for the sake of completeness, I will also show it here. It has just under 30K miles and is unrestored. I have a hard time deciding whether to restore some items that have deteriorated a little or leave them as is, such a some red paint flaking off the rams and the padding under the dash pad is deteriorating, causing it to droop a little.

View attachment 26830View attachment 26831View attachment 26832

I'd leave it alone Steve. The few flaws it has is what makes it so special. This car is a true survivor. Everything is original except for a few of the wear items. Making it too "pretty" would take away from the fact that it is an absolutely stunning 54 year old car with less that 30K miles on it. That's around 550 miles put on it per year! Leave it as is! I know I don't need to tell you but don't drive it! I'm surprised you drove it from Sierra Madre to Alta Loma. That's the only car in your collection I would be afraid to drive. Did you ever think you'd hear me utter those words?

Yeah, I hear you guys and I understand your position Scott as well. But I do want to take it out and drive it a little and I am not afraid to do so all that much. I really enjoyed driving from my old residence, although it was only about 30 miles. My body/paint guy says the same thing you do Scott, sell it and do another one that I would not mind driving. I guess there is time to sort this out. I tend to agree with you guys about not touching anything, except maybe the dashpad, since it bugs me. Everything else can stay as is, and then, even the previous owner did a couple things to it that were not stock, such as chrome air cleaners and oil cap and added some carpet to the trunk sideboards - he said a Chrysler should have a fully lined trunk. I have left that the way he had it, as it reminds me of him. I did take out the huge truck horn that he had mounted in front of the radiator, but maybe I should have left that if I do drive it much! But it marred the look of the grille seeing it behind it. Now I got an invite for showing a car at an upscale car show in Fallbrook where letter car 300s with fins are the featured mark (1955-61), and I am mulling that over. My old friend that I got it from said he wanted me to drive it and show it to people. Fallbrook is less than a hundred miles from where I live, but showing it there would bring it very close to the 30K miles mark. Thanks for the input guys.

I strongly believe in sparingly driving such cars just to keep them in running condition and enjoying it. At least around where I live the risk of damage through collision is low enough to rate it acceptable; would be something else maybe in central NY City or the like.
It wouldn't bother me to break the "psychological"30k barrier by doing so; it still is a low mileage car and the overall change in condition after another 10 years or 5 or 8 k miles is nearly undetectable IMHO.
I would also never ever consider any car no matter how low of a mileage or valuable (or rather problematic for todays traffic conditions like a Euro microcar with 10 hp )to trailer it somewhere just to drive it the 100 feet to the show field.

Far cry from a finned car... my convertible had 48000 when i got her....ten years later she has 60000 and i enjoyed every mile...Most of which in Jersey...the most congested state in the Country..

Back