1958 Fuel Injected D

Chrysler was Bendix's second customer for its electronic fuel injection system.

Rambler was going to use it for the 1957 model year on a special Rambler Rebel 4 door hardtop, silver with gold anodized trim - 1,500 of them. But AMC had just as many problems as Chrysler and the Rebels used the Nash/Hudson 327-cid V8 with a 4-bbl carb instead of the Bendix EFI.

Ford and Studebaker went for superchargers in 1957.

it was originally a california car that found its way over an Ohio collector to Germany.
I bought it locally back then. Drove it for two years.
I sold it to a friend of mine in England to purchase my first original Hemi Charger.
So what I got wasn't big&blue but fine for me, too.

If only I would have known:poke:

Carsten
I am the Ohio collector that owned it for 20 years. Sold it to a German collector that came over here on a buying trip.

I am the Ohio collector that owned it for 20 years. Sold it to a German collector that came over here on a buying trip.

the german collector got health problems in 1998 and decided to let it go.
So I bought it off him that year.

Carsten

Was looking thru this thread https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopa...-d-with-fuel-injection-1-of-21.74364/Stumbled
and found this thread linked at the bottom. The late 50s EFI systems hold some fascination for me, as I have one of the components.

@saforwardlook
All the info I have ever seen is on the 1958 systems. Do you have any knowledge of the systems that were planned for '59?
I have a piece that is reportedly for 1959, for the lower-priced cars with low-deck B bigblocks. (which didn't materialize, of course)
Based on what I've seen in all of the old pictures, it is a prototype, for it is unlike the 1958 stuff.

Send me a PM if you have any history, or know someone who does.

Was looking thru this thread https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopa...-d-with-fuel-injection-1-of-21.74364/Stumbled
and found this thread linked at the bottom. The late 50s EFI systems hold some fascination for me, as I have one of the components.

@saforwardlook
All the info I have ever seen is on the 1958 systems. Do you have any knowledge of the systems that were planned for '59?
I have a piece that is reportedly for 1959, for the lower-priced cars with low-deck B bigblocks. (which didn't materialize, of course)
Based on what I've seen in all of the old pictures, it is a prototype, for it is unlike the 1958 stuff.

Send me a PM if you have any history, or know someone who does.

The few cars that Chrysler produced with Fuel Injection in 1958 were all recalled because they systems were not reliable in use. While it was a laudable effort, Chrysler concluded the introduction was premature and so to the best of my knowledge, there were no plans to produce 1959 EFI versions at all. There are collectors who have many components that were in the original system and I am aware of at least one guy who says he has one or two complete systems, but getting them to run all stock is all but impossible, although as i understand it, there is one 1958 Desoto Adventurer that has a mostly stock running system, albeit with some modern components though.

Yeah, I would've thought there were no plans for 1959 either, but the intake manifold I have is for a single TB and has a casting# on it.
The guy I got it from said he got it in the trunk of a car that he got from a guy named 'DeSoto Bob' IIRC, and that it was for a 1959 program.
About 10 years ago I spoke to the guy that owned the running 58 Adventurer, and he did not know either.

I figure I need to find someone that worked at the factory around that time - but that is a small pool of people.

Back