1959 Imperial doesn't charge and not sure how to tackle this

Reaction score
Question: My car doesn't charge. That is a bit inconvenient. But I am not savvy with generator cars, I get my way around a alternator car, but this is all new for me.

I did notice someone has been butchering into the wiring, there is some loose wiring and the routing is new to me, including the components.
I can tell the generator and the regulator, but I see wires go to a device in front of the regulator, what is that?

There are also 2 loose wires, which seem factory wires to me, where do they belong too?

And what is that cilindrical thing to the firewall? there are 2 wires going to it and are connected, but it seems like there is more that has to be connected to it.
The wire loom that goes to the regulator seems not to be original either, I can't believe they used insulation tape to cover some wiring.

Can someone help me sorting this out with guidance and perhaps some examples?

20240323_151651.jpg

20240323_151708.jpg

20240323_151725.jpg

20240323_151736.jpg

20240323_151741.jpg

20240323_151746.jpg

20240323_151750.jpg

20240323_151757.jpg

This is a starter relay. This style is sometimes referred to as a "solenoid". I'm not sure if it's the right one for your car, I'm not familiar with '59 Imperials.

1711222462007.png

I'll recommend that you get a factory service manual and that can help with figuring out wiring. You can download a '59 version here: Service Manuals – MyMopar

The square box marked Bosch is the voltage regulator. It is an after market unit that may no be correct for the Imperial, but it still can be made to work. The "F" terminal on a 3 post regulator is hooked to the generator field terminal.(green wire) The "A" terminal on the regulator is hooked to the armature connection on the generator.(red wire) The "B" terminal is hooked to the hot side of the battery. Check the green wire on the generator connection, it should be between the two nuts, you appear to have it under both nuts which could ground the wire to the generator case. Trace you wires from the regulator back to the generator to be sure they are intact. Use a test light to the battery terminal on the regulator to be sure you power there. Once you have determined the wiring is intact, the unit should charge. If not report back.

Dave

Back