1960 fury Steering wheel / horn relay ground

Fick

Reaction score
Anyone have a good detail photo or description of the steering wheel, spring, lock ring, bearing, etc., & related parts that attach it to the steering rod? My wheel is grounding (the horn relay) on the turn signal canceling assembly before I even put on the large nut. I had Steer and Gear rebuild the box. The column is seated onto the steering box ok but seems to long in relation to the steering shaft (rod).

It kind of sounds like the ground wire is pinched inside the column somewhere if I am reading your post correctly...

Pinched ground wire would be too easy, wish it was. I dabbed a small amount of ink on the copper ring the relay contacts and can see where it hits with the turn signal assembly when installing the wheel. It acts like the steering rod is sitting down into the coupling to far. Wheel will not go on far enough before it grounds out.

I found the answer. Started over from beginning. Readjusted the steering box per service manual. I didn't have the steering box properly aligned to the frame which didn't allow the column to slip all the way down into the steering box. I gained about 1/8 to 3/16" more clearance between the turn signal assembly and the brass ring on the steering wheel. Thanks for the input guys.

Back