1960 Matador four door Hardtop

polara66hardtop

Reaction score
Wondering around on a Busy day a ford Friend(gasp) Asked me if I had gotten around to an old car sitting behind a bar in my old neighborood. Since I spent many years near that location I said yes. Then he said: what about that old car? I said what old Car? DUH! So I went over there, and never before had I bothered to look behind the building of the bar. There is this matador sitting, and had been there for two years according to my low IQ Ford friends.

I never saw it. The owner in the auction center next door owned it, and had been trying to sell it. So, we agreed on a price, and it found it's way home on my trailer.
it is an Intact matador with the 361 Torque Flite Transmission, and Power Brakes. I owned a 60' Dart wagon back in 1969, so now I catch myself just staring at it, remembering all the trouble I got into back then!
So now what? I said to myself, and that is as far is I have gotten. I couldn't see it sitting there, so home it came. There is no Title, but I can secure one easy enough.

I just thought you guys would enjoy seeing a rather unusual old Beast. I think I will try getting it running again, then stare at it some more!

1960 matador march 30 2018.jpg

front of Matador.jpg

What did you have to give for that beauty when all was said and done? Nice car!

How can you get a title? Just wondering if you knew some magic.
I used Mainely title Inc. a couple years ago, and he did a great job.Not cheap,(895.00) but the car then (68 GTX)was well worth it, as I feel is this one. I can't see an old Dodge go to a donor status if it is possible to get a good title.

Now that is a car you don't see too often. What a find. When I first saw the title of the post my thought was of a Rambler.lol Keep us updated on the progress. Very cool car!

What did you have to give for that beauty when all was said and done? Nice car!

I can say God was smiling on that old Dodge, and me Today.They were preparing to push it into the street for the city to take it, So I gave them $400.00 for it.
I did have to bring my own wheels and tires,as the car was on the ground,pretty much. So I brought my painted steel 1966 wheels with original 8:25x14 Bias plys I had as spare rollers to raise it up and crank it on the trailer. It sits now like the old girl did in 1960>

Last edited:
You did very well. Amazing that something like that could still be found these days.

What a find and what a steal!, this and the rest of the '60 Dodge line up are beautiful designs.

What a find and what a steal!, this and the rest of the '60 Dodge line up are beautiful designs.

Beautiful designs AND when you get behind the wheel they are so comfortable and everything just feels right and you can see out so well, too.

I'V
Beautiful designs AND when you get behind the wheel they are so comfortable and everything just feels right and you can see out so well, too.
I've never had the pleasure of driving one. :rolleyes:

I believe I survived those years because the car was so stable. Wide and long, and so much glass out the rear. We didn't know what seat belts were in those days.
I need a windshield! Some chump vandalized it while it was sitting, and hit it on the driver side with something that left a hammer Impression.
As I get in it I'll post more pictures. Somebody reupholstered the front seat, but the rest needs help. I sure hope it isn't locked up.I don't remember, is the 1960 361 Block the same as the 66? (I am referring to the older cast iron Bellhousing and Torque converter setup as it connects to the crank.)I have a good running 361 in Storage, as well as a 68' 383 HP engine, in a worst case scenario.

Interior 1960 dodge.jpg

Last edited:
Luuuuv the roofline of the 4 door hardtop Foward look cars.
Very scarce car nowadys.
Congrats and keep me posted.

The cast iron torqueflite that is in the car now mates to a different crank than the later ones for the aluminum torqueflite that started in 1962. There may be other differences in the rear of the block. The guys at the Forward Look site might have more information on this issue: www.forwardlook.net

The cast iron torqueflite that is in the car now mates to a different crank than the later ones for the aluminum torqueflite that started in 1962. There may be other differences in the rear of the block. The guys at the Forward Look site might have more information on this issue: www.forwardlook.net
It sounds like this engine better turn over!
Thanks!

I agree...to me a lot of the allure to these cars is the push button transmission.
It would be sacrilege to get rid of that!

Back