1963 Imperial 413 Engine

RKC

Reaction score
I cleaned the AFB carb and installed a new kit. Car starts fine, idles ok for a little while, but then it seems to "load up" and then will die, unless I increase the RPM. Do I have the float set too high? I followed the owner's manual as to the float measurement. Thanks!

Probably, I've had more trouble with high floats than most any other carb problem.

When you increase the rpm’s, do they stay up for a while? We’re I you I think I might be looking for a vacuum leak. I know that’s not ‘loading up’ but sometimes it seems similar.

When you increase the rpm’s, do they stay up for a while? We’re I you I think I might be looking for a vacuum leak. I know that’s not ‘loading up’ but sometimes it seems similar.
I installed a new intake manifold. Is there a way to check for any vacuum leaks around the edges of the intake manifold?

I installed a new intake manifold. Is there a way to check for any vacuum leaks around the edges of the intake manifold?
Take a small squirt bottle and fill it with gas. Put a few drops of fuel at a time along the intake ports, if the engine speeds up, you have a vacuum leak at that port.

Dave

And maybe my perspective is skewed because of recent debacles I had, but a common vacuum leak on these is the power brake booster. You can't get new ones and they're expensive to rebuild. You could start by plugging that vacuum port on the intake manifold and see if the issue goes away.

if you use carb. cleaner, check the can to make it's flammable. the more danger or warning labels a product has on it, the better it will work. if you don't find a leak, you can pinch off a rubber line before the fuel pump when the condition occurs. reduce the fuel level in the carb to see if that helps clear the condition

Back