1964 300k steering wheel issue

Reaction score
So I finally installed my new steering gear rebuilt from Lares(highly recommended).
I thought I put it all back together, however when I tightened the steering wheel to the manuals torque spec it felt too snug with slight resistance. AND another issue is it wiggles some with a clinking noise as if the steering shaft isn't fully secure. I THINK i didn't have the snap ring properly set, could that be the issue?

Did you replace the rag joint on your column? Old, dry rubber is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen.

Did you replace the rag joint on your column? Old, dry rubber is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen.
They don’t have a rag joint 1960-1964. They do have a rubber sleeve at the steering box.

Yes the snap ring needs to be in place.

watch this video for more info. I don’t like him checking for play and slop with the engine off, that’s not an accurate test at all. System needs to have the engine running to check play. They are all loose with no pump pressure.

1635C538-C375-4924-8FE4-4C752F507BAB.jpeg

F7383CD7-34A7-44CF-9843-213D191370A1.jpeg

Yeah, I've watched Bob's video like 100 times lol.
Rubber sleeve? At the coupler?

Also what's odd is, is that I don't even have enough of the steering shaft exposed to even see the indentation for the snap ring. Hmmm

I'm an idiot.......

I just remembered, I found a rubber sleeve type thing in my bucket-o-parts.........now to complete disassemble again. Geez

I'm an idiot.......

I just remembered, I found a rubber sleeve type thing in my bucket-o-parts.........now to complete disassemble again. Geez

Inside the rubber insulator is a small u shaped brass contact. Make sure it is in place also, it is the ground contact for the horn button.

Back