1964 Chrysler 300K "Letter Car"

polara71 & tallhair.....

and that is EXACTLY how I found her, and that's what happened. when I was closing the deal, the owner said he had
a large folder with a whole bunch of papers (all the original documentation)
the bonus for me - when I started cleaning out the trunk, and found an assortment of spare parts. but the real cat's ***
was the box stuffed way underneath the back deck in the trunk. A brand new, complete, full leather Legendary Auto interior, with the
carpet kit. I still have not done the interior yet, as I've been torn for years on the definition of "Original". restored is nice, yes.
but when I hear "original", I want to see, feel and smell original. Probably why I've still maintained the original dual point, tach drive
distributor. Pertronix is easier (probably more efficient), but that's NOT what she was born with. You guys understand, right?

fratzog,

good eye! the tach that is on the steering wheel was put on sometime in the 70's I think. the gauge in front of the shifter is a "Performance Indicator".......basically a vacuum gauge. At one time, some of the letter cars had a tach there, but they were difficult to view while driving.
this tach is not factory, thus, non-original. I've contemplated removing it, if I replace the original interior.

I wouldn't be in a hurry on the interior since it looks like it just needs a good clean and some leather stuff to treat it .. if you improve one thing it leads to the next and I live the Patina like it sounds like you do .. you always have it for later, then new stuff that is and that probably cost a cool grand at least so very nice bonus that cat's *** hehe

my intention this spring is to pull the motor, reseal every gasket that the engine has, spray it the correct Chrysler Blue,
and detail the engine compartment. hopefully, the next time you all see the engine bay, it will look a lot cleaner, more blue,
and ready to rumble! lol

I can't wait to see this. Your engine set up is probably one of my all time favorites. Definite car **** for me.

Last edited:
thanks Mopar fans! it is an impressive sight to behold.
which is why the non-Mopar fans always, always say "Holy Sh*t"
when I open the hood, and they look at the "Beasts Underneath" (what I usually call the Rams) LOL

while I can always smile ear-to-ear when I watch people checking out the car, I usually like to hear the stories
of "my grandfather had a '62", or someone, somewhere had a "insert year".....and then, there's always that "cringe"
story that someone had a Ram, took them off and threw them away to go single 4 barrel, or maybe even inline duals.

ahhh, it is what it is. the gawk factor is great, the stories, perhaps even better.......but the looks from other drivers as
you drive it, bake the tires from a standstill, or SLOW down on the interstate to ALLOW someone to gasp to themselves and
mouth to you "what the hell is under that hood"? now that, my friends, is what it's all about!

ken

Ken, you may already know this but it looks like your cross rams are the "short" runner version that Chrysler used for the higher output (390-400hp) engines at the time, which is way cool! Eons ago when I had my 300-G, I'd read about long- and short-runner cross rams and couldn't figure out what it meant, since they both looked (nearly) identical externally. However, looking at the first photo below (absconded from Hemmings...), a divider along the entire length of each 'pair' of runners on this "long" runner version can be seen.
Chryslercrossram_01_700.jpg

Your runner dividers start halfway along each runner. This effectively makes each cylinder's individual runner half as long as the more common lower output cross rams. The first half of a short-runner manifold is basically a plenum. The short runner manifolds made (higher) horsepower at a higher RPM than the long runner version.
2011-12-30_15-29-17_492_zpsa36bf746.jpg

Love the car. And yes, it is an impressive sight to behold.

mcmlvii,

yes, I do have the short rams. other than that, the major difference I have from the photo that you borrowed from Hemming's is my car came with the factory, cast iron headers. I may have a pic of one of them somewhere, so I can post if you have not seen them before.

mcmlvii,

yes, I do have the short rams. other than that, the major difference I have from the photo that you borrowed from Hemming's is my car came with the factory, cast iron headers. I may have a pic of one of them somewhere, so I can post if you have not seen them before.

OH THIS EFIN car keeps getting better and better :banana:

polara71,

thanks! where abouts in South Jersey? I lived at Exit 8A, South Brunswick for 5 years.
the cast iron headers are beasts! very heavy, and probably not very free-flowing by today's standards.
I'm thinking of a set of TTI headers, if they even make them, but then I'm trying to stay bone stock.

Sounds like a North Jersey boy, what exit? You're killing me!! To make it easy on you exit 4........

NO KEEP her stock

yeah, I tossed the idea around, but the factory headers came with her, and they'll stay.
I worked in Barrington, NJ for a while, so I know the area a bit. in the same thread as "keeping her stock",
it's the reason why I still have a full carpet kit, front seat upper/lower cushion, and full leather interior, front and back,
from Legendary Auto........STILL in boxes in my garage. IF, I ever do decide to pull the original interior parts, i'll tag and bag them,
and keep together.

OH THIS EFIN car keeps getting better and better :banana:

Concur! You should have bought all the lottery tickets you could get your hands on the day you found this car because that was one lucky day for you .. thanks for sharing this find with us !!

yes, it was a lucky day! right place, right time.
i was soooooo sad to have to sell my old '58 Saratoga, but i knew some day I'd find another car.
i passed on soooo many mustangs, Camaros, (but did have a '70 Chevelle for a while), even went through a Porsche phase
('70 914, '71 914, '66 911)
but i really wanted an old Mopar again. I know I hit the lottery when I bought this car, and I got it for a good price.
expensive, but totally worth it. after all, you only live once, right? :)

Back