1965 300

Jonas

Reaction score
So, always liked the look of these cars (65-66). I think what got to me first is the angle and look of the c pillar. So this summer I went and bought me a 1965 Chrysler 300, drove the 375miles home without any real issues. Got about 16mpg which I guess is allright. It was imported to Sweden in 2015 so I do not have any history on it really.
My plans for the car is just to keep it on the road driving. It is not in a showroom state, but more in a "you do not need to be afraid to use it" state.
First issue appeared on the second day and it consisted of the fan belt not wanting to stay in one piece, looked like it was way overdue its lifetime so no big deal.
Next thing to replace was the waterpump that you could wiggle around to the point that I was suprised it didn't leak.

A couple of pics.

300 left side.jpg
300 interior.jpg
cruising.jpg

Last edited:
Next in line of things needed attention has something to do with this picture:
battery issue.jpg
A cheap and old battery needed some help and hence it was changed to a new one.

Well then when I was topping up on brake fluid I sort of noticed this barely visible flaw in the vacuum line to the booster, you can see it if you look real close:
booster hose.jpg

So changed that. Good to go.

Then I just drove it around and I must say I like the feel of it. Then came the local summer cruise event and it went well until late at night when starting it at home it sounded like something old you would expect being found working at a farm plowing...Did some basic service, cap, rotor, points, capacitor, cables, plugs. Did not help.
Checked the compression, showed this at one cylinder:
compression zero.jpg

So pulled the head and I think I might have located the problem:
valve seat.jpg

Well, I figured that is a sign for a pair of e-street heads to be ordered, so I did and on they went:
estreet.jpg

Seems to work and play along nice with the stock 383 and stock intake, cam and carb. There's probably room for a bigger cam with these heads but that will be left as a possible upgrade for the future.

Last edited:
Other things being handled up to this point is that I've changed the thermal fan clutch, since the old one was making a noise and was a bit "loose".
The latest thing being changed is the fuel pump and filter, due to that one day the carb did not receive any fuel:
fuel pump and filter.jpg

Which after some help from you guys on how to fill the bowls on the carb through the vents seems to have worked as well.

Last edited:
Things still to do, there always seems to be doesn't it? are:
Fix the 3 window motors that does not work, have some new hardware but have not got to it as of yet.
Probably need to remove and clean or replace the gas tank, and fix the fuel gauge not working issue.
Would like to install some gauges like temp, rpm, oil, volt.
Wouldn't mind fitting a rear swaybar.

A big plus with this car, as a friend of mine stated, that it is a real nice and well behaved car since when something brakes it brakes at home in the driveway :)

Back