1965 383 Carburetor Recommendations

65Polara383

Reaction score
I have recently discovered that my car's original Stromberg WWC 2-Barrel is leaking horribly from multiple non-repairable locations. So it is time to buy a new carb.

The motor has an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and a Pertronix Ignitor II ignition. In the near future, it will be getting a new cam and heads.

The car is a 1965 Dodge Polara 4-Door Sedan with a 3.23 Suregrip rear-end and a 727 transmission which weighs in at about 3900 lbs.

I have been looking at the Edelbrock AVS2 4-Barrel, but I am unsure of whether I should get the 650CFM or the 800CFM.

I mostly use the car as a daily-driver/cruiser but I would like a carb that wont fall flat on its face when I take it to the local dragstrip.

I do not want a Holley carburetor, I would have to do so much more work to make one compatible with my car than I would with the Edelbrock.

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.

AVS2 is a great choice, go with a 650.
Alright.
I won't have to upgrade when the motor has a performance cam and heads?
If not, then that's definitely the route I will be taking as I thought 800CFM might be a bit much.

I wish they made a 700/750 version.

As far as I know there is an Edelbrock 750 carb. The 650 should be good on your 383. Edelbrock carbs are good on the street and usually give good gas mileage. The version with the electric choke is set up for good gas mileage while the one with the manual choke is more for performance. With the intake manifold you have, the 650 should work nicely.

How hard is wiring the electric choke on my car? The original carb only had a vacuum/spring operated choke.

I will probably just get the manual choke though, since it rarely gets cold enough where I live to need the choke.

Wiring the electric choke is easy. When I added the 9801 TQuad to my '67 Newport, I took the power wire and ran it across the cowl and then hid it in the wires that go to the distributor. Easy to do and incognito.

You will need the Edelbrock throttle linkage adapter, using your original throttle stud. A simple bolt-on to adapt the GM-style linkage to work with Chrysler linkages. Also, might need the Edelbrock kickdown linkage extension. I used the existing throttle cable, positioning the "hold-down area" forward a bit in the process. That extension is in their online catalog, too.

650cfm will be fine, unless you want a waayy too big cam. I concur on the AVS2 with its better primary venturi design. You can probably buy a repro fuel line for a B-body with an AVS, too.

In many ways, I still like Holleys, but with what they have done with their listings in more recent times, nothing OEM-enough for me anymore. As Edelbrock has a Holley knock-off, Summit also has one with the annular discharge venturis, at a decent price. But for a reliable daily vehicle, the AVS2 is probably the best. Do buy the thick OEM-style carb base gasket, too. Watch for sales!

Glad you finally got things sorted out,
CBODY67

I had spoken with someone from Edelbrock a while back and was told I needed the full Lokar throttle linkage and kickdown cable conversion kit.

If this isn't accurate, I would love to save the $250 that costs.
Also, what Edelbrock linkage adapter? They have a couple different ones.

I've used Edelbrock carbs on a bunch of different Mopars, and have always used the factory throttle pressure linkage. You may need to tweek it a bit, but you can make it work without too much trouble. Get the electric choke version. You won't be sorry. The choke just needs a wire that is hot when the ignition is on. Edelbrock makes an adapter for Mopars so the linkage fits properly. None of this is that hard to do.

Here’s the adaptor you need .
IMG_6440.jpeg
IMG_6439.jpeg

Yes that's the throttle linkage adapter you need, and as someone else mentioned, there is an extention for the transmission kickdown rod. If your original carb was a 2-bbl then the kickdown rod is shorter than the 4-bbl one.

I also agree that the 650 AVS2 is a good choice. I'm actually running an Eldelbrock 650 AVS on my 451 stroker, though I bought a rod and jet kit and tuned it for that application, and an Edelbrock 600 AFB on my 383 which I rebuilt to stock 383-4bbl specs.

I have ‘66 Sport Fury 383 I bought less than a year ago that was a 2bbl car. I was having issues as well and also wanted a lot more performance. Like you, I plan on replacing cam in the future as well. I installed an Edelbrock performer rpm aluminum intake and ended up going with the Edelbrock AVS 650 cfm with electric choke. I have no regrets on the intake but have had nothing but issues with the carburetor. It just doesn’t run quite right and have had 2 mechanics work on it. I keep remembering the comments from a couple of guys “you ought to go with a Holley carb” and “come see me when you can’t get that Edelbrock running right’. I have done a lot of research and a lot of old school guys have told me 383’s love bigger carbs. Here’s a link to a 383 carburetor shootout I found that’s full on information https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mopp-1207-carburetor-dyno-test/amp/
Good luck on your project! All that being said, everyone has a different opinion but I wish I would’ve gone bigger on the carb and now have a bigger Holley sitting on my bench to try from a buddy. So we shall see how it does.

I have ‘66 Sport Fury 383 I bought less than a year ago that was a 2bbl car. I was having issues as well and also wanted a lot more performance. Like you, I plan on replacing cam in the future as well. I installed an Edelbrock performer rpm aluminum intake and ended up going with the Edelbrock AVS 650 cfm with electric choke. I have no regrets on the intake but have had nothing but issues with the carburetor. It just doesn’t run quite right and have had 2 mechanics work on it. I keep remembering the comments from a couple of guys “you ought to go with a Holley carb” and “come see me when you can’t get that Edelbrock running right’. I have done a lot of research and a lot of old school guys have told me 383’s love bigger carbs. Here’s a link to a 383 carburetor shootout I found that’s full on information https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mopp-1207-carburetor-dyno-test/amp/
Good luck on your project! All that being said, everyone has a different opinion but I wish I would’ve gone bigger on the carb and now have a bigger Holley sitting on my bench to try from a buddy. So we shall see how it does.
Did you got through the carb when you got it? Edelbrock carbs are known for not being adjusted correctly out of the box. I followed the manual to double-check the recommended adjustments. My AVS had the floats misadjusted; one was not bad but the other was way off. I read online that one guy found that they had installed the wrong fuel metering rod in one side.

Back