Trunk1-2.jpg

Trunk2-1.jpg

Trunk2-1.jpg

Trunk3.jpg

Trunk3.jpg

Trunk4.jpg

Trunk4.jpg

Hub Cap Restoration

This is what I have to start with. All 4 are about in the same condition. The disks are in good shape; all I need to do is re-do the black stripes. The medallions are a mess but free from major cracks.

Hubcap2.jpg

Hubcap1.jpg

Step One:

Remove the spring ring holding the medallion in place. Using Easy Off Oven Cleaner (yellow can), remove as much of the original paint as possible. I got 99% of it off on the medallion below and I got lucky. The black paint in the "Three Hundred" grooves did not come off on this one. I won't be needing to get out the magnifying glass and the fine brush.

HubcapMedallion1.jpg

Hubcap2.jpg

Hubcap2.jpg

Hubcap1.jpg

Hubcap1.jpg

HubcapMedallion1.jpg

HubcapMedallion1.jpg

Step 3: Prep the surface using Spaz Stix aerosol plastic surface prep. Allow to dry per the instructions and shoot the entire backside of the medallion with Spaz Stix Ultimate Chrome (aerosol), applying several light coats until covered.

Medallion5.jpg

Medallion3.jpg

Medallion4.jpg

Can't do much about the crazing in the plastic. These are over 45 years old after all. The reflective properties of this paint are very good. I am expecting even greater results when I shoot a top coat of black over the Ultimate Chrome. Overall, I'm very pleased with the way they came out.

Medallion5.jpg

Medallion5.jpg

Medallion3.jpg

Medallion3.jpg

Medallion4.jpg

Medallion4.jpg

Step 4: I shot the back of the medallions with some flat black to give more depth in the reflection. Now it's on to the disks!

Medallion1-1.jpg

Medallion2-1.jpg

Medallion3-1.jpg

Finished Product:

RestoredHubcap.jpg

Medallion1-1.jpg

Medallion1-1.jpg

Medallion2-1.jpg

Medallion2-1.jpg

Medallion3-1.jpg

Medallion3-1.jpg

RestoredHubcap.jpg

RestoredHubcap.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, NICE CAR, beautiful job you did on it. I can't even imagine finding a project car with no rust up here in the rustbelt.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, NICE CAR, beautiful job you did on it. I can't even imagine finding a project car with no rust up here in the rustbelt.

Thanks! That's another one of the benefits of living in a dry climate: rust free project cars!

I'm not sure about the hours but it took about 4 years. I did everything except the paint, seat cover install, machine work and top. I took the entire car apart and reassembled it in my small 2 car garage and driveway. I've got right around $30K in it.

another one of the benefits of living in a dry climate: rust free project cars!

living in the "rust belt" shouldnt be an issue. So many cars are available from dry climates and shipping charges are minimal compared to repairing rust issues. Pony up from the start and you'll save a ton of money and time.

Saw those pics on the Drydock and they are certainly worth a second look. Never seen a nicer restoration. :icon_thumright:

Back