1965 Chrysler 300

GOLDMYN

Reaction score
Hi, Is it normal for a column shift 1965 Chrysler 300 to start fine in park but not when its in neutral? thanks

I have a 65 Yorker, and she doesn't always go into neutral when I put the gear shifter there, and hence won't start from there. is there an adjustment for this? also my needle doesn't line up well with PRND21. is that adjustable? how?

No sloppiness in the linkages, the shifter goes into neutral fine, wiggling it does nothing, put it back in park and the car starts fine as I mentioned

I'd check the linkage first. If that doesn't work, THEN get dirty and swap the Neutral safety switch

Should I really care if the car doesn't start in neutral, I mean , it starts fine in park? Is the wire "hot" from the ignition to the switch?

Should I really care if the car doesn't start in neutral, I mean , it starts fine in park? Is the wire "hot" from the ignition to the switch?
It returns ground from the neutral safety switch to the starter relay.

I like them to be able to start in neutral. I've stalled cars in traffic and restarted them while still rolling, but I guess that's probably not really needed.

so really, it only effect starting? it wouldn't effect anything like a short that would cause the car to die or cut out. I'm chasing a intermittent shut down while driving and want to eliminate this switch.

so really, it only effect starting? it wouldn't effect anything like a short that would cause the car to die or cut out. I'm chasing a intermittent shut down while driving and want to eliminate this switch.
No, all it does is keep the starter relay from working and in turn, that keeps the starter from engaging.

I implore you NOT to bypass the neutral safety switch. It's a recipe for disaster even if you are careful.

Hi guys if the safety neutral switch is on the column inside the car like my Polara it can be adjusted laterally
If it can't be brought into adjustment then it needs replacing or bypassing
Check the FSM :thumbsup:

Hi guys if the safety neutral switch is on the column inside the car like my Polara it can be adjusted laterally
If it can't be brought into adjustment then it needs replacing or bypassing
Check the FSM :thumbsup:
The switch is on the transmission for the 65 Chrysler. I checked my copy of the FSM just to be positive.

Are you sure that's not the reverse light switch that you are thinking of?

The switch is on the transmission for the 65 Chrysler. I checked my copy of the FSM just to be positive.
Are you sure that's not the reverse light switch that you are thinking of?

You may be right I'm just going by memory...

I'd check the linkage first. If that doesn't work, THEN get dirty and swap the Neutral safety switch

65's are cable shift like a pushbutton. There is a procedure for adjusting the shift cable but I doubt it could be off much without causing other shifting problems. They have to be pretty much dead on or you lose park or 1st position. Even if it was off slightly you should still be able to push the shifter slightly towards reverse or drive and activate the switch.

I'd pull the pan and check the rooster comb and make sure the tab that engages the switch in neutral is still there.
T04.jpg

Kevin

I start mine in neutral when it has been sitting for more than a day or two. It circulates the tranny fluid and gets rid of that "pause" you get with early torqueflites when when you put them into gear from park.

Agreed. Fluid can drain out of the torque converter, and it takes a little to refill upon restart, and clutches don't engage real well when fluid is going other places.

And to expand on what Twostick is saying, the 65 trans is 1-year only, as it is cable-controlled but lever actuated (not pushbutton), but has a U-joint at the output shaft (64-older is pushbutton, with ball-and-trunnion on the output). 66 is then 1-year only as well -- it became rod&lever shifted to the trans, but 67 went to a different spline count for the torque converter.

Last edited:
Reverse lights on the column 68 and earlier. You can pull the switch, you will lose a lot of fluid unless you jack up left side of the car only. It may be sticking and neutral dent is just not sweet spotted. If you wiggle the lever while holding the key in start does it work that's when I would say adjustment or sticking.

Back