For Sale 1965 Dodge Monaco 426 Wedge 4-Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
"moparnutcase", if I win the Mega Millions tonight your car would be my 1st purchase and I'll get it the proper 1st class restoration such a beautiful piece of Chrysler Corporation history deserves!

Good luck with the sale. I have followed your entire thread from the beginning and agree with you 100% in relation to price and rarity.

Lol... OK - I guess I've been tagged to stir the pot here.

Yes, I own a 1966 Dodge Monaco 2 door HT (Canadian version w/Plymouth dash and Sport Fury). Red with black vinyl top and buckets and console interior.

It is factory equipped with 440 + 4 speed, SureGrip, Power windows seats steering brakes (3" drums all around now front discs), power antenna, tilt tele, tint glass, power window safety lockout switch.

Ordered radio delete and had a New Yorker search tuner radio package installed on delivery (radio, rear seat spkr, power antenna), and it has a host of other toys too numerous to list.

It is likely a 1 of 1 due to its' options and the way the car came to be.

Short story version as documented in a letter from the original owner: The original owner worked at a Calgary Alberta Chrysler dealership in '65. Special ordered with all the options above AND 426 Hemi - his dream car. He pulled strings to get a hemi after hearing about the proposed 66 Chrysler 300 M with Hemi option (which was subsequently cancelled AFTER the dealership processed his order and deposit.)

Car was delivered with a 440 which pissed him off and he wanted to back out of the deal. Dealership boss said (quoted from his letter) "We couldn't get the hemi - we really tried. However, this isn't your average 440, this is the RCMP 440, hand built on the special police motor assembly line. This is the engine we put in the Polaras to catch assholes like you who order hemis. Take it for a test drive and if you still don't like it there's a lineup of people ready to buy it. I took it out, came back and changed my underwear and took possession of the car."

Fastest C body I've ever driven, and simply leaves everything behind. I run out of stones long before the car runs out of steam...

Torque like crazy - easily busts the tires loose at 15 mph just stepping on it in 1st. Video to prove:

I've been collecting NOS and used parts for years for a restoration which it is currently in the midst of. I've added 70 C body disc brakes for safety.

Here's a couple of pics:
RED DODGE 1.jpg

More pics 001.jpg

So... what is this car worth? I feel it's worth a LOT more than anyone here would be willing to fork over for a one of one car. So unless someone gets real it will likely remain in my possession and become part of my estate. I would entertain offers of $45,000 Canadian, to which I can hear the guffaws from around the FCBO cognecsenti... lol. Once restoration is completed the price doubles and it's still a deal - just try to find another or to restore it for that $...

Essentially, I understand where the owner of the 65 is coming from.

Last edited:

Yes, I own a 1966 Dodge Monaco 2 door HT (Canadian version w/Plymouth dash and Sport Fury). Red with black vinyl top and buckets and console interior.

It is factory equipped with 440 + 4 speed, SureGrip, Power windows seats steering brakes (3" drums all around now front discs), power antenna, tilt tele, tint glass, power window safety lockout switch.

Ordered radio delete and had a New Yorker search tuner radio package installed on delivery (radio, rear seat spkr, power antenna), and it has a host of other toys too numerous to list.

Short story version as documented in a letter from the original owner: original owner worked at a Calgary Alberta Chrysler dealership in '65. Special ordered with all the options above AND 426 Hemi - his dream car. He pulled string to get a hemi after hearing about the proposed 66 Chrysler 300 M with Hemi option (which was subsequently cancelled AFTER the dealership processed his order and deposit.)

Car was delivered with a 440 which pissed him off and he wanted to back out of the deal. Dealershop boss said (quoted from his letter) "We couldn't get the hemi - we really tried. However, this isn't your average 440, this is the RCMP 440, hand built on the special police motor assembly line. This is the engine we put in the Polaras to catch assholes like you who order hemis. Take it for a test drive and if you still don't like it there's a lineup of people ready to buy it. I took it out, came back and changed my underwear and took possession of the car."

Fastest C body I've ever driven, and simply leaves everything behind. I run out of stones long before the car runs out of steam...

Torque like crazy - easily busts the tires loose at 15 mph just stepping on it in 1st. Video to prove:

I've been collecting NOS and used parts for years for a restoration which it is currently in the midst of. I've added 70 C body disc brakes for safety.

Here's a couple of pics:
View attachment 201579

View attachment 201573

So... what is this car worth? I feel it's worth a LOT more than anyone here would be willing to fork over for a one of one car. So unless someone gets real it will likely remain in my possession and become part of my estate. I would entertain offers of $45,000 Canadian, to which I can hear the guffaws from around the FCBO cognecsenti... lol. Once restoration is completed the price doubles and it's still a deal - just try to find another or to restore it for that $...

Damn Ross, She's beautiful. Im not a red guy, but this one could turn me....

:thumbsup:

strong-with-this-one-the-suck-is.jpg

Short story version as documented in a letter from the original owner: The original owner worked at a Calgary Alberta Chrysler dealership in '65. Special ordered with all the options above AND 426 Hemi - his dream car. He pulled strings to get a hemi after hearing about the proposed 66 Chrysler 300 M with Hemi option (which was subsequently cancelled AFTER the dealership processed his order and deposit.)

Car was delivered with a 440 which pissed him off and he wanted to back out of the deal. Dealershop boss said (quoted from his letter) "We couldn't get the hemi - we really tried. However, this isn't your average 440, this is the RCMP 440, hand built on the special police motor assembly line. This is the engine we put in the Polaras to catch assholes like you who order hemis. Take it for a test drive and if you still don't like it there's a lineup of people ready to buy it. I took it out, came back and changed my underwear and took possession of the car."

Here's a couple of pics:
View attachment 201579

View attachment 201573

Ross I forgot how nice your car was. Thanks for the reminder.

Here's a couple of pics:
View attachment 201579

View attachment 201573

I still think the craziest part of that whole story is how even a dealership guy up north couldn't convince Chrysler to get him the 426. What a great story!

"moparnutcase", if I win the Mega Millions tonight your car would be my 1st purchase and I'll get it the proper 1st class restoration such a beautiful piece of Chrysler Corporation history deserves!

I hear ya!! If I hit the car will be treated to the best possible resto imaginable.... and it would NEVER be for sale again.

I still think the craziest part of that whole story is how even a dealership guy up north couldn't convince Chrysler to get him the 426. What a great story!

Thanks! Apparently that particular dealership (which is long closed and all paperwork lost unfortunately) was one of the suppliers and service providers for all the RCMP cars in the area. As well, a little known fact is that due to all the free flowing oil money in Calgary and Edmonton, more hemi cars and other oddball special order cars were sold in Alberta Canada than anywhere else in North America. According to the original owner they sold lots of special order things from that dealership like hemi four door Coronets etc (like that hemi gold 4 door Dr's car seen at Carlisle - Alberta car IIRC). I believe that statistic also includes GM and Ford cars. Out there you can still find 427 Biscayne 4 doors, 427 and 428 four speed Galaxy wagons and wacky stuff like that.

Ross I forgot how nice your car was. Thanks for the reminder.

Thank you! I keep meaning to ask you - somewhere out your way is my old Turquoise 66 Monaco (383 Automatic). Do you ever see it? I restored that car and added AC and power windows and a pile of other stuff. During the restoration is when I came across the 4 speed car (another story), and so was able to acquire it.

The turquoise car was sold at Collector Car Productions a number of years ago now, and I actually did pretty well with it as C body prices go. I'd like to know how it's doing, and if it gets the same amount of love now as I lavished on it.

Thank you! I keep meaning to ask you - somewhere out your way is my old Turquoise 66 Monaco (383 Automatic). Do you ever see it? I restored that car and added AC and power windows and a pile of other stuff. During the restoration is when I came across the 4 speed car (another story), and so was able to acquire it.

The turquoise car was sold at Collector Car Productions a number of years ago now, and I actually did pretty well with it as C body prices go. I'd like to know how it's doing, and if it gets the same amount of love now as I lavished on it.
I just got done looking at that car, beautiful!

Again... I’m new here, so I don’t know John. Once I read the first page with the original ad of course, and then continued to read the whole thread, I was a bit concerned for the seller.
If I was looking for a 65 4 speed 426 Monaco, at any cost, any condition, just HAD to have one at any expense as if I were Scrooge McDuck, I would have skeptical hippo eyes on this one.
Once I saw “I want MY price for MY car, not yours, or I’ll keep it” type stuff due to “rarity and sentimental value”
“No offers don’t waste my time”
I would’ve spent about 10 seconds thinking about it, then simply decided “I’ll wait for the next one....”
I think OP should start from scratch with a new ad.
Simply state 1965 Dodge Monaco
426 4 speed
Mileage blah color blah
Owned car for x amount of years
X extra parts included in sale.
Then simply state “myself and many other c body Mopar enthusiasts have done research, and to the best of our cumulative knowledge, this car is very rare and as few as 150 were made. As far as survivors, none have shown up for sale or online, I’m sure a few others are out there, but none for sale.
Price is $20,000
Any serious interested parties, who would like additional information or photos can contact me at blah.
Any offers can be discussed once we get to that point.

That’s the ad that may not sell the car, but it will find the people who are at least serious and would be worth investing sellers time. Price is irrellevent until a serious buyer actually does his diligence anyway.

OP, I would start over from scratch. Less is more, offering extensive info and pictures to serious inquirers.

Good luck ($13k) ;-)
Chad... nice ad for the real world... BUT
My price is $20K. Serious is wanting the car for a price I would let it go for. Unrealistic, $5K for example, you'll be told to go eff yourself. Sarcastic, maybe. Honest, most assuredly. No time to play games with a-holes...........WAY too many of them. My motto is put up or shut the **** up, plain and simple and VERY easy to understand.
This ad works just fine for in here...

For Chad:
The car is not being marketed for maximum profit or a quick sell... He's looking for the right person, who values the car enough to make her right. If your offer was $23k... I doubt he would sell to you, based on the yellow car thread.

This car will require the purchaser to pass an interview, which will be more about the car's future than just the selling price. History has proven that selling too cheap is a great way to kill a C Body.

Hang around a while, this place is thick with sarcasm, but you'll eventually catch on. There are cars that are too good or too significant to be modified or butchered. Then there are cars that folks wouldn't feel as bad about... this car is in the "Don't Eff with it" category. There are a bunch of us who aren't the right person for this car... but we still want to see her brought back to correct form.

making over my 65 880 rag into your power train . no console although just buckets n a stick . grabbed the parts for the conversion . and with my hipo stuff it will be a wild ride .

DSC08596.JPG

wow.426 wedge with a 4speed manual.It might not be a lightweight drag car but those drivetrain options were never common.The good thing is the chrome and trim are all there.They look to be in good shape and may need an expert cleaning with various compounds and gentle buffing.And it,s a coupe. I love the buckets and console.If i had the money i would buy it, add a.c,and have the entire interior replicated with black leather.I,d keep the car stock in the exterior appearance.color,wheel,etc.An exciting car and the body looks compact.That,s the illusion body styling can do.Important cars demand important money.A true enthusiast will give you what you want.B.B

Ross......excuse me but your car does not look like it needs a resto!

Several years ago there was a 65 Polara ragtop with 426 wedge for sale within a few hours of here. It disappeared and I have not seen or heard of it since. Must be sitting in a garage somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back