1965 Dodge Monaco dash light problem

Matt62

Reaction score
Strange problem...the right flasher light in the dash is flashing quickly, the temperature gauge shows over heating, the gas gauge shows overfilled and the lights on the right cluster are flashing at the same tempo as the flasher light. All of this happens when the light are on. When I turn off the lights, everything is back to normal. Anybody knows something about a problem like this except to ask for exorcism !!!!!

You probably have a bad ground to the cluster, turning on the lights activates more bulbs and increases the load to the bad ground. In some instances, the bulb filament can act as a ground if one is not present and this will cause the bulb to blink. The temp and fuel gauge are both activated from the cluster regulator which in '65 should be plugged into the back of the instrument cluster. Address the ground issue first and see if the gauges work properly afterwards. If not you will need to have your existing cluster regulator repaired or replaced. Usually one blinker indicator running fast means only one bulb in the turn signal pair is working. Check your turn signal bulbs.

Dave

Your blinker should NOT be causing all the stuff in your instrument panel to go off like that. You have a floating voltage seeking ground through whatever is available. Check the grounds on the turn signals first. Also, see if there is a SHORT between a 12V wire and your instrument cluster. Specifically, look at the right turn signal wire. Try disconnecting it at the turn signal switch, then see if the evil behavior of the instrument panel abates when your turn the turn signal on.

I suspect a short here. Bad grounding might contribute. Dave is right about insuring your cluster is WELL grounded. Make a bond wire to ground it through the firewall to the engine block, or even to the battery if you like. Test Dave's hypothesis by rigging a bond jumper with a pair of alligator clips and a good #12 AWG wire going to the negative terminal of the battery, then try the turn signal. I LIKE bonding jumpers, and consequently Mathilda has few wiring troubles attributable to lack of ground.

Replacing the old power supply for the cluster isn't a bad idea either. You can make one with an LM555 op amp and a power transistor, or buy a ready made 12V -> 5 or 6 V supply which will provide some current (7-10 A should do) to the cluster. I got rid of my cluster entirely and will eventually make one with all 12V instruments. I like the LOOK of the old one, but instrumentation is ONE aspect of driving where I prefer modern devices, albeit, simple, rugged ones. Those old thermo-electric gauges left a bit to be desired...... although a working instrument cluster at night is damned pretty.

If the boards look sketchy new circuit boards are available for our cars at PremiumDashDecals.com.
They've been at Carlisle the last few years.

Just curious . . . are we talking US dash (the two round clusters), or the Canadian dash (US Fury style)?

Thank you so much for the info. It's a Florida car imported a long time ago to Canada, so US dash.

When mine did this, it was grounds and a bad signal bulb. The wig-wag was with the headlights on. Flasher on either side, was lights off, running lights on. Either way you can also see the right indicator was lit either way.

Like Dave said, my vote is for a bad ground. Good luck with your search.

Back