1965 Fury pace cars!

Now its got two lol:thankyou:

Who would have guessed there was a 'war' on???:mob:

chrysler-newport- two screens.jpg

Happy Christmas everyone in the C-bod World!

I had the sad pleasure of selling my 65 Sport Fury due to 'problems'...

But now I have the HOTS for a 65 pace car convert!

After reading TWENTY pages of TerryM's resto, I am totally 'blown away'!:wtf:

From where he started and now has ended up in the 'land of OZ' is truly amazing...:thumbsup:

So after many years of research I have seen a lot of RESTO Fury's, in all shapes and sizes lol.

Here are some strange 'FLAG cars' that have risen from the ashes.:rofl:

My biggest concern with these is the 'LETTERING'...(too low)?

View attachment 504633

View attachment 504634

View attachment 504635

3D0D39BF-9A97-451D-A25E-055C98D995DC.jpeg

I just purchased a Indy 500 vinyl decal set for my 65 SF convertible. From what I can determine, it “”may be” on of the 1900 but can’t be proved or disproved. I am going to say it is, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

In any event, my thought process was to have it attached to white magnetic vinyl and attach it to the car for shows and then removed and rolled up and stored until next time. I discussed with Fast Signs who said it could be done but could not be rolled up and stored since it would tend to stay in a rolled up position and the corners would not hold up. To store it, they said It had to be stored flat and on a piece of metal. At the same time, I read an article on the internet "Car of the week; 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury Indy Pace Car" that this had been done on thin magnetic vinyl but did not state if it was printed on new vinyl, what mil. or if it was vinyl emblems like I have purchased and attached to magnetic vinyl. Does anyone have any experience with either attaching vinyl to vinyl or printing on the vinyl and any storage issues. Thanks.

My "car from hell" is in the upholstery shop getting the top put on, after which it goes for alignment, new exhaust, finish hanging the door panels and then tweaking for the rest of my life! The last month has consisted of identifying why oil was not going to the top of the engine after a complete overhaul, valve cover gaskets leaking after a complete over haul, transmission leaking after a complete overhaul, fixing the rear disc breaks that another shop installed, installing an electric brake booster, fighting with Griffin Radiator who refuses to stand behind a mis-manufactured radiator, locating unknown trim clips, etc. etc. etc. Glove compartment door not on working on installing blue tooth and AM Adapter. After 3 years it is finally coming together! The good news is, the individual doing the restoration is doing a great job! I am having so much fun I can't stand it! Great fun!

Fury (2).jpg

Last edited:
Make each of the vinyl letters and such into individual refrigerator magnets. Might need a template to place them correctly, but certainly removeable. Might look a bit flaky if you did individual panels for each decal kit segment, fwiw.

OR . . . go ahead and apply the decals to the thicker white vinyl banner material and then hang the two banners from the ceiling of your garage, over the car, or attach to the walls.

OR . . . you could take one of the banners and make a pcv tubing frame, disassembleable for easy movement, and then put up the frame and attach the banner to it for shows and such.

Just some thoughts on a cold day,
CBODY67

Make each of the vinyl letters and such into individual refrigerator magnets. Might need a template to place them correctly, but certainly removeable. Might look a bit flaky if you did individual panels for each decal kit segment, fwiw.

OR . . . go ahead and apply the decals to the thicker white vinyl banner material and then hang the two banners from the ceiling of your garage, over the car, or attach to the walls.

OR . . . you could take one of the banners and make a pcv tubing frame, disassembleable for easy movement, and then put up the frame and attach the banner to it for shows and such.

CBODY67
LOL! Must REALLY be a cold day! Same thing happened to me when I was a kid in North Dakota, walking to and from school, uphill both ways, against the wind, 30-35 below zero (no fake wind chill numbers), nuns wouldn't let us in until the bell rang and all logical thought process ended! Think I will pass on your suggestions but thanks for trying!

CBODY67
Okay, you did get me thinking and your PVC has merit with a little modification. If I replace your PVC Tubing with a straight sided plastic pail, the banner(s) could be wrapped around the outside of the pail, held in place with packing cellophane or other strapping, it could be easily stored and transported! By Jove, you might be on to something! Thank you!

Last edited:
I just purchased a Indy 500 vinyl decal set for my 65 SF convertible. From what I can determine, it “”may be” on of the 1900 but can’t be proved or disproved. I am going to say it is, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

In any event, my thought process was to have it attached to white magnetic vinyl and attach it to the car for shows and then removed and rolled up and stored until next time. I discussed with Fast Signs who said it could be done but could not be rolled up and stored since it would tend to stay in a rolled up position and the corners would not hold up. To store it, they said It had to be stored flat and on a piece of metal. At the same time, I read an article on the internet "Car of the week; 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury Indy Pace Car" that this had been done on thin magnetic vinyl but did not state if it was printed on new vinyl, what mil. or if it was vinyl emblems like I have purchased and attached to magnetic vinyl. Does anyone have any experience with either attaching vinyl to vinyl or printing on the vinyl and any storage issues. Thanks.

My "car from hell" is in the upholstery shop getting the top put on, after which it goes for alignment, new exhaust, finish hanging the door panels and then tweaking for the rest of my life! The last month has consisted of identifying why oil was not going to the top of the engine after a complete overhaul, valve cover gaskets leaking after a complete over haul, transmission leaking after a complete overhaul, fixing the rear disc breaks that another shop installed, installing an electric brake booster, fighting with Griffin Radiator who refuses to stand behind a mis-manufactured radiator, locating unknown trim clips, etc. etc. etc. Glove compartment door not on working on installing blue tooth and AM Adapter. After 3 years it is finally coming together! The good news is, the individual doing the restoration is doing a great job! I am having so much fun I can't stand it! Great fun!

View attachment 579827
DO NOT ATTEMPT to roll it up!!
I can tell you for a FACT that will end badly. Watch the Hobby Lobby sales. Go grab a few magnetic poster boards at 1/2 price & stick them to those Flat to store. No clue where your at BUT to help them last keep them inside in the basement or spare room closet. As extreme temp swings will deteriorate the magnets & vinyl

These show differences amongst the pace car variants, in the lettering, grab handles, wheelcovers, engine emblems, and other details.
I got these photos during a visit to the Speedway Museum some years ago, so they could be considered legitimate references. Other than knowing what the differences signify.
The top-left car seems to have a black interior, top right is clearly blue.
I'm not a Pacer expert by any means, but any car (or non-verifiable reference) to red interior I would say is incorrect.
It is also conceivable that the Speedway needed some early promotional material, so Chrysler could've slapped some quickie decals on a car to satisfy that while they finalized on the fonts and layout.
So any photos from the Speedway can be assumed to be 'real', but maybe not the final official version?

As for magnetized lettering:
There are some hobby machines that can make vinyl lettering (Cricut is one example) and they are reasonably priced.
You'd also need to get magnetic material (I've gotten some from mcmaster.com) and figure out how to get a decent white color match on it - and the edges!
You'd do the lettering and then carefully align it to the magnetic material.

For what you'll pay a pro to 'typeset' all of that, I'd bet you could buy a machine, all teh vinyl, make some mistakes, and have pride that you did it yourself.
The big question would be whether you need the machine large enough to do the entire thing (like the 'Plymouth') or whether you can feed the vinyl thru as it makes it.
There might be some trickery you can do also. As an example, my CNC router has about 24" of travel, but I devised a method where I layer all the toolpaths in 1 area.
I do the 1st set of carvings, and I then have the machine drill a hole at the far end and stop with the bit in the hole.
I unclamp the wood, and jog the machine back to 0,0 and it drags the wood with accuracy. I reclamp the wood, and start carving the next toolpath from 0,0 but on the new section of wood.

And as noted, do not store the magnets in any circular fashion.
Hanging them from a garage rafter, etc, might actually work well.

1676381838499.png

These show differences amongst the pace car variants, in the lettering, grab handles, wheelcovers, engine emblems, and other details.
I got these photos during a visit to the Speedway Museum some years ago, so they could be considered legitimate references. Other than knowing what the differences signify.
The top-left car seems to have a black interior, top right is clearly blue.
I'm not a Pacer expert by any means, but any car (or non-verifiable reference) to red interior I would say is incorrect.
It is also conceivable that the Speedway needed some early promotional material, so Chrysler could've slapped some quickie decals on a car to satisfy that while they finalized on the fonts and layout.
So any photos from the Speedway can be assumed to be 'real', but maybe not the final official version?

As for magnetized lettering:
There are some hobby machines that can make vinyl lettering (Cricut is one example) and they are reasonably priced.
You'd also need to get magnetic material (I've gotten some from mcmaster.com) and figure out how to get a decent white color match on it - and the edges!
You'd do the lettering and then carefully align it to the magnetic material.

For what you'll pay a pro to 'typeset' all of that, I'd bet you could buy a machine, all teh vinyl, make some mistakes, and have pride that you did it yourself.
The big question would be whether you need the machine large enough to do the entire thing (like the 'Plymouth') or whether you can feed the vinyl thru as it makes it.
There might be some trickery you can do also. As an example, my CNC router has about 24" of travel, but I devised a method where I layer all the toolpaths in 1 area.
I do the 1st set of carvings, and I then have the machine drill a hole at the far end and stop with the bit in the hole.
I unclamp the wood, and jog the machine back to 0,0 and it drags the wood with accuracy. I reclamp the wood, and start carving the next toolpath from 0,0 but on the new section of wood.

And as noted, do not store the magnets in any circular fashion.
Hanging them from a garage rafter, etc, might actually work well.

View attachment 582004
Whew! You have more ambition than me; made me tired just thinking of all that work and when you get old I found writing a check much easier! I had it lettering put on by Fast Signs and they charged me a reasonable price, $200. I put the smaller signs on a white board and for the long signs, I bought a 8' x 12" board and I used 3M 77 glue to attached them to a 12" x 8" sheet metal pieces I purchased from Lowe's; both stand up in our guest room closed. Worked and looks great. Eight foot magnets don't stick to the car as good as I thought but it will work for a show. Thanks for the info.

I would've never guessed that $200 would get that done.
I would not have that ambition to save $200 either.

There were 2 Pace Cars (440) and 35 Festivity Cars (383/4bbl) at Indy in 65.
Some of the cars had red interiors, but most had blue interiors. The light blue top was specific to the pace, car models.
As to how many were sent to dealerships, there is no clear answer. However, most estimates put it at around 1200 or less which were sold. Of those, From speaking with the guys across the country who used to work at the dealerships, more than half the customers opted not to install the stickers.
Also, the 37 cars at Indianapolis were given an Indianapolis 500 dash plaque. I’m not sure if that was available for the replicas sold through the dealerships.
I drive mine all the time, and it certainly turns a lot of heads. My hundred pound Labrador retriever thinks it’s the best car in the collection… Because it’s the only one he’s allowed to ride in!
IMG_0775.jpeg
IMG_0785.jpeg
IMG_0832.jpeg
IMG_2096.jpeg

Some of the cars had red interiors, but most had blue interiors. The light blue top was specific to the pace, car models.
As to how many were sent to dealerships, there is no clear answer. However, most estimates put it at around 1200 or less which were sold. Of those, From speaking with the guys across the country who used to work at the dealerships, more than half the customers opted not to install the stickers.
Also, the 37 cars at Indianapolis were given an Indianapolis 500 dash plaque. I’m not sure if that was available for the replicas sold through the dealerships.
I drive mine all the time, and it certainly turns a lot of heads. My hundred pound Labrador retriever thinks it’s the best car in the collection… Because it’s the only one he’s allowed to ride in!
I drive mine all the time, and it certainly turns a lot of heads. My hundred pound Labrador retriever thinks it’s the best car in the collection… Because it’s the only one he’s allowed to ride in!View attachment 599227View attachment 599228View attachment 599229View attachment 599230
I think there are as many stories and theories on what the attributes of the Pace Cars were and how many replicas there were as there were Pace Cars and when all is said and done, no one knows. You have a nice looking car but if you wanted to maintain the Pace Car look, IMHO, those tires and wheels are a negative; white walls and original hubcaps! IMHO!

No one was duplicating or as on here "faking" pace cars back then or even now.
I have a transcript for an in depth magazine article written in the 80's see Classic Chrysler Quarterly magazine. Jeff J of CCQ and other fame may want to republish the article and plagiarize other peoples work as he has done before...Anyone have a copy?

Replicas...waiting to see one.

Has one gone thru the rich guys auctions yet?
Not that i have seen - if one has please post it

Is there one in the brothers collection?????

There are not very many stories about these cars/theories or attributes.
List the magazine articles:

Unless you were an adult in 1965 it is pure speculation what people thought about having a lettered pace car in 1965.

65 fury Pace car nice car!
If i was wanting to really set the records straight i would pull the transcript from the filing cabinet...[wait for a rainy day]

There were 2 Pace Cars they had a 426 not a 440

35 Festivity Cars (383/4bbl) at Indy in 65. - needs checking,b ut sound correct for now

Some of the cars had red interiors, but most had blue interiors. The light blue top was specific to the pace, car models. [Correct]

As to how many were sent to dealerships, there is no clear answer. However, most estimates put it at around 1200 or less which were sold. [OK for now]
Of those, From speaking with the guys across the country who used to work at the dealerships, more than half the customers opted not to install the stickers.
[that was a long time ago, typical eloquent waxing on here about nothing, define the culture of the times!...]

The 37 cars at Indianapolis were given an Indianapolis 500 dash plaque.
[correct]

I’m not sure if that was available for the replicas sold through the dealerships.
[wait for a rainy day and i will look for the transcript]

My pace car was purchased at a dealership in Vermont. It has the dash plaque attached.

Back