1965 sport fury fuel tank.

Craig Bradley

Reaction score
I have heard that you can use another c body fuel tank since there is no reproduction.Has anybody got any information on this?Thanks for the help.

Not to my knowledge.I think just about everyone who buys a 65 Fury suffers through this dilemma. I did and lucked out when a member here sold me a nice clean tank. Good luck its out there.

Where are you in IN, Craig? I believe I have a spare 65 Fury tank, and plan to sell my 65 SF someday so I don't need a spare any longer. I'm on the northside of Indy. Maybe we can work a deal if you can come and pick it up.

Otherwise:
You could probably retrofit to a 66-up tank with some effort. You'd need the tank, grommet, and correct filler neck + a hinged license plate bracket.
I'm 95% sure my 65 SF has the filler neck hole already behind the bumper (that panel was probably the same stamping as the 65 Dodge and Chrysler).
You would need to do some cutting on your bumper for the filler to poke thru, but the license plate will hide that.

Based on Spectra's part #s / applications there are apparently some differences between 65-66-67-68 cars. I've done some tank swapping over the years and have noticed some subtle differences on the floor of some of those tanks, but I think if you get the tank and sender matched you'd be OK. Don't even try a Fusey tank, they are about 3-4" longer at the front and will overhang the tank strap mounts on your trunk floor (and it'll be kinda close to the axle too).

Where are you in IN, Craig? I believe I have a spare 65 Fury tank, and plan to sell my 65 SF someday so I don't need a spare any longer. I'm on the northside of Indy. Maybe we can work a deal if you can come and pick it up.

Otherwise:
You could probably retrofit to a 66-up tank with some effort. You'd need the tank, grommet, and correct filler neck + a hinged license plate bracket.
I'm 95% sure my 65 SF has the filler neck hole already behind the bumper (that panel was probably the same stamping as the 65 Dodge and Chrysler).
You would need to do some cutting on your bumper for the filler to poke thru, but the license plate will hide that.

Based on Spectra's part #s / applications there are apparently some differences between 65-66-67-68 cars. I've done some tank swapping over the years and have noticed some subtle differences on the floor of some of those tanks, but I think if you get the tank and sender matched you'd be OK. Don't even try a Fusey tank, they are about 3-4" longer at the front and will overhang the tank strap mounts on your trunk floor (and it'll be kinda close to the axle too).
Thank you,What kind of condition is your tank in?What were you thinking on price?

Thank you,What kind of condition is your tank in?What were you thinking on price?
I would've checked it sometime years ago and I'd like to think I wouldn't have kept it unless it was usable. Will need to dig it out and verify, though. Give me a week or so to find out, It's buried and I'm covered up here.

I would've checked it sometime years ago and I'd like to think I wouldn't have kept it unless it was usable. Will need to dig it out and verify, though. Give me a week or so to find out, It's buried and I'm covered up here.
Oh okay.Thanks

Oh okay.Thanks
I got it out and looked at it. It's been undercoated on the outside, so it looks ugly, but the bottom is pretty straight and isn't all beat up like so many used tanks are.

The vent nipple at the front is snapped off, I think it could be fixed pretty easily with an NPT hose barb and a nut on the inside.

The inside is in good shape. It has some varnish staining in some areas, but is very solid and serviceable with most of the original silver coating still visible. I would have zero reservations about using it, I would just rinse it with the garden hose and set it in the sun to dry.

Send me your email addy and I can send you some pics, although they aren't the best. Figure out if there's any other stuff you need, I might have it.

Fury Fan is that tank a side fill or a rear fill? I am looking for a side fill for my 65 fury. unfortunately I have no filler neck sender straps etc. due to previous owner discarding it all and throwing a fuel cell in the trunk. :BangHead: so im already at a MAJOR disadvantage but if I can source a tank im sure I can hunt the rest down

It is a side fill, it is a correct tank for a 65 fury.

I just looked in my box of filler necks. I do have the curved filler pipe that the cap fits onto, but my memory is foggy on the remainder of the pieces that connect to the tank. I'll need to crawl under my 65 and see what the pieces look like. Will need a few days to get that worked in.

I believe I have a fuel tank box it could ship in, but it's only big enough for the tank, if I have the other parts would need to ship separately.

fury fan if you don't mind would you pm me a price for the tank, filler neck and any other associated parts? and a quote on shipping of course. Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I took a few days to respond I only have access to a computer with internet when im at work. I am not in any real rush so take your time! Once again I very much appreciate it!!

fury fan if you don't mind would you pm me a price for the tank, filler neck and any other associated parts? and a quote on shipping of course. Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I took a few days to respond I only have access to a computer with internet when im at work. I am not in any real rush so take your time! Once again I very much appreciate it!!
Was just typing a reply myself when a webpage bug wiped out my answer. Will send a PM. Here are some pics, for future reference for anyone that stumbles across this thread. There are 3 pipes involved in this setup, I only have 2 but they are the most critical ones. I have the curved filler tube that the cap goes on, the bigger one thru the frame, I don't have the smaller-dia one thru the frame, but you could use a piece of hose for that. You could fab up a metal tube, I suppose, but it would need the raised edges on the ends to help prevent leaks, if you used a hose you'd avoid that detail. Make sure the hose is protected to not chafe thru, of course....

DSC00170-1000.jpg

DSC00171-1000.jpg

DSC00172-1000.jpg

DSC00166-1000.jpg

DSC00168-1000.jpg

Back