Can I use a b-body gas tank on my C body?

Rosetti

Reaction score
During my restoration, I found that my gas tank is toast. Leaking everywhere, even at the seams, and it's super rusted.

I've seen someone on this forum use a b-body tank on their C body fury. Just wanted to know which one I should use. I'm thinking the 68 to 70 Dodge Coronet.

I don't want to get a new gas tank for the c body because it seems ridiculously expensive.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Found some pictures in "Garages" of member "Scott 440 TNT"'s car. The B-body tank is about 3" narrower and 3" shorter, but he said the existing straps fit fine. He mentioned that he should have gotten the sender to match his existing fuel line size. No mention of the particular application, though. Looks like it might be a viable alternative?

CBODY67

Seems to be $320 for a big car tank on Rockauto. Dont know what vehicle you have.....

Seems to be $320 for a big car tank on Rockauto. Dont know what vehicle you have.....
Sorry. 1967 Fury III, 4-door hardtop.

I checked Rock Auto, and by the time it arrives, it's around $800.00 (Canadian). I've seen the B-body tanks go for around half. Maybe because it's more common.

Used to be about $300.00 USD from Van's, with free shipping. But that was a year or so ago.

CBODY67

Last edited:
$800 is a lot more than I paid for mine a few years back, but, if you want a tank.... Sometimes we have to bit the bullet, and a B Body tank would be the wrong one.

Got mine from Rockauto; very satisfied.

IMG_2255a.JPG

IMG_2260a.JPG

Yes, a B-body tank would be "wrong", BUT for the price difference, I can tolerate that for a "close-fit" situation rather than trying to graft some foreign part under there just because somebody had one for under $100.00 used, "it's a gas tank, aren't they all the same? They hold gas". LOL FWIW

I used a B body tank on my 70 Polara years ago. It allowed me tuck the second tailpipe between the tank and frame rails instead of hanging below them. So long ago I don't remember what it was from.

In 2000, there was a posting on some goofy new startup called Ebay for a used "1970 C body fuel tank". I bought it for $70 back when Ebay didn't have a return policy. I still don't know what car this tank is for. The original tank was more wide and flat.

It fits and works but there was a problem. Gas sloshing around over 3/4 full or during stopping, some gas would escape out the vent. I even tried to make the vent line higher and longer. Heavy gas smell. People thought my car was going to blow up. I fixed that by sticking a fuel filter straight up on the vent. No more smell and gas tank still breathes just fine. It looks a little off center and goofy but oh well, I'm OK with it. (Camera was a liittle tilted, sorry)

Untitled1.jpg

Last edited:
Depending on your location, you could have your tank shipped to a US border town mail box and drive down to get it.

The sad truch is, if you don't buy stuff specifically for your cars, the vendors who make and sell stuff for your cars will become harder and harder to find. Which is already bad enough as-is.

I did use a b body tank in my 68 fury. It was a little narrower but bolted up just fine. The tank was for a 68 coronet. I lost 4 gallons of fuel capacity. I also used the sending unit for the coronet tank.

I did use a b body tank in my 68 fury. It was a little narrower but bolted up just fine. The tank was for a 68 coronet. I lost 4 gallons of fuel capacity. I also used the sending unit for the coronet tank.
But that's the answer I was looking for! Did it throw off your gas needle at all? Or did it work because you had the proper sending unit for that tank?

Also, do I need a new gas neck? Can I use the same one from my Fury?

I also used my old fuel neck with a new o ring
Excellent! I ordered a B-body tank (1968-1970 Coronet), sending unit, and straps from Rock Auto. Just have to get a fuel tank pad, then we'll be in business!

One last question: is it very annoying having 4 gallons less (assuming you'd have to fill up more frequently), or is it not that noticeable?

Back