1966 Chrysler 300 Rag Joint

RKC

Reaction score
1966 Chrysler 300: Can't get the 4 screws loose to remove the rag joint. Do two consist of nuts that will come off or are they welded on? They require an allen wrench, which makes it very difficult to work with. Are the brackets threaded? Can I cut the joint in half, cut the bolts off, drill out the broken bolts and use regular bolts. Thanks!

Soak the crap out of them for an hour or so with PB Blaster. Then get a helper to hold the wheel while you work the Allen wrench. It's a tight work area but it can be done.

Soak the crap out of them for an hour or so with PB Blaster. Then get a helper to hold the wheel while you work the Allen wrench. It's a tight work area but it can be done.
I got it off, but the short rod that goes into a small rectangular metal box came out. Does it just sit in this box and not connected? It has two metal pieces at the end that goes inside the box. Also, a small spring broke that was through one of the bolt holes in the rag joint. What is that for? Do I need to replace it? If you could call me, it would be easier to explain 309-369-1213 Illinois. Thanks!

I got it off, but the short rod that goes into a small rectangular metal box came out. Does it just sit in this box and not connected? It has two metal pieces at the end that goes inside the box. Also, a small spring broke that was through one of the bolt holes in the rag joint. What is that for? Do I need to replace it? If you could call me, it would be easier to explain 309-369-1213 Illinois. Thanks!
The spring is your horn ground. One of the round loops broke on mine as well. I just made a new one with copper wire. I'll give you a call in the morning about the "metal box".

Back