1966 Chrysler Newport Fuel Pump Noise

Even tho I am using oil with zinc? Or should I just coat the new rod with break in lube?

On new push rod use break in lube, make sure it spins in the block easy.

Yes, use some on each end and if you can get brush up onto cam lobe put some there.
Drop by a machine shop, maybe they will give you a little. Or buy a small container. Moly slip assembly lube is brush on, the there is the red assembly lube that is like honey.
I will do that Thanks

Two bad. Three good. Top was original to engine and did not like the cam swap. Second was a Comp replacement, didn't last 2 months.
The good ones are NOS pieces, that did not get installed to be wiped out. When a new cam goes in, so shall a new rod. For now I use electric pump.

716FD883-174A-4BB4-944A-359C2EA36ABA.jpeg

516B0785-1986-4FD3-B005-47649CB3C658.jpeg

Two bad. Three good. Top was original to engine and did not like the cam swap. Second was a Comp replacement, didn't last 2 months.
The good ones are NOS pieces, that did not get installed to be wiped out. When a new cam goes in, so shall a new rod. For now I use electric pump.

View attachment 543466

View attachment 543467
Theres a NOS Airtex PR1021 on ebay will that work? It says all big blocks from 1958-1965 and mine is a 66

In one respect, considering the amount of heat radiation area of the valley gasket, that little bit of heat deflection might not make much difference. What it really is allegedly for is to dampen harmonics in the valley pan gasket, so that it does not crack in the beaded area, causing additional noise and unusual engine oil leaks.

In another respect, leaving that area more open under the manifold can let heat dissipate better after the engine starts, too.

So, proceed with your DIY project.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Pump should br good to go, just change push rod if you see/ measure it is failing.
I just got the new pushrod for fuel pump and it measures exactly the same as the original one but I did discover that my 2 month old carter pumps shaft was loose so I bought another pump and that one is tight. Should I use the old rod or use the new one when I replace the pump?

Mystery solved it ended up being a bad brand new carter pump causing the clanking noise. There was no wear on the pushrod at all. Replaced the pump and used the original pushrod and back to cruising. Thanks for the input

Back