1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

A sidelong question.
20221102_092833.jpg

Is that the shape the brace is supposed to be, or has it been bent down in the middle?

I still need to get a new battery tray- so I have nothing to measure against.

What battery y'all use for the 318?

Thanks

20221107_170548.jpg

I need to get some bushings but I made the L shaped bracket that holds the gearshift linkage to the gearbox.
Seems to work well enough.

I'm quite surprised at how well these fitted. They were the cheapest shorty headers I could find online, the long-branch ones being for A-body vehicles that came with the car.
I had to get some bolts because the studs supplied were too long, meaning I couldn't fit the things for lack of clearance with studs fitted.
I will have to squeeze the steering joint heat shield in a little because it is touching one of the tubes.
20221108_171711.jpg

Clearance is tight and the passenger side one points at the torsion bar but there is enough space to put in a gentle S bend to go around. Clears the full size Motorcraft filter I have on the engine.
Driver's side is angled better. I'll have to put something together. I want the exhaust to be a single pipe system. No duals here.

Does anyone have a spare transmission dipstick they'd be willing to sell?

Also, I see the shape of the top hoses on most parts sites look like they should match up with the route on this (yellow), but the bottom hoses don't.
20221109_095944.jpg

Is that the correct routing for the lower hose (green)?
They all seem to be listed for passenger side lower radiator outlet. All 3 rads I have are on the lower driver's side.

Thanks

Phil

I want the exhaust to be a single pipe system. No duals here.

I thought headers and duals went hand in hand. This is the first time I've ever heard of someone wanting, or having headers and wanting single exhaust. Going for the stock exterior look?

Best of luck with the radiator. You don't really want that lower hose taking that route, and you'd have to cobble something together to make work. What condition are your 3 rads in? Might be worth taking one into a rad shop, they should be able to change the location of the lower port. It will be a decent amount of work, but worth it. I'll never know why they ever had that radiator design, with the ports on the same side. You get much better heat transfer with one left, one right, top or bottom. This gives you "cross flow". The one you show, the side without the ports, isn't doing alot of cooling.

I thought headers and duals went hand in hand. This is the first time I've ever heard of someone wanting, or having headers and wanting single exhaust. Going for the stock exterior look?

Best of luck with the radiator. You don't really want that lower hose taking that route, and you'd have to cobble something together to make work. What condition are your 3 rads in? Might be worth taking one into a rad shop, they should be able to change the location of the lower port. It will be a decent amount of work, but worth it. I'll never know why they ever had that radiator design, with the ports on the same side. You get much better heat transfer with one left, one right, top or bottom. This gives you "cross flow". The one you show, the side without the ports, isn't doing alot of cooling.

In this instance I had no manifolds that fit so I bought the cheapest option I could, which was tubular headers. That way I can drop the pipes down past the torsion bars.
I prefer the way an 8 sounds through a single, the harsh drumming from unbalanced twin pipes isn't what I'm looking for in this build.

One rad is too small (non a/c), this one in the car is a two row a/c and the other one I have is the heavy duty 3 row a/c but it is falling apart.

They all have the same top and bottom hose position configuration, and if I search 66 Fury 318 radiator, it brings up radiators with the same connections.

Did the poly have the water pump outlet on the other side from the LA?

Earlier la engines had water pumps with inlet on the drivers side. So you could change the water pump or the rad outlet as suggested above. I did route the hose as your green arrow, with no problems. I used two flex hoses with a connector of exhaust pipe in the middle and supported that to the bottom of the rad support. Not the best, but it worked without problems. Lindsay

Earlier la engines had water pumps with inlet on the drivers side. So you could change the water pump or the rad outlet as suggested above. I did route the hose as your green arrow, with no problems. I used two flex hoses with a connector of exhaust pipe in the middle and supported that to the bottom of the rad support. Not the best, but it worked without problems. Lindsay
This has to be a mixture of parts- the lower pulley has 3 belt grooves and physically interferes with the water pump pulley I have. I see that this water pump has a larger outlet too.

So, I know the gearbox isn't complete trash. It's very sloppy; I've taken a guess at the amount of oil it's got in (book says it takes 9qts so it got 9qts put in). Need to get a dipstick.
Engagement is not positive, but it's not really been run much.

Unfortunately the rear driveshaft yoke is junk, only one half of it is attached right now, one bolt hole is completely hogged out and I sheared a bolt off in the other. That's $150 I didn't want to spend, and getting that one off is going to be FUN.

Obviously just a preliminary to see if the transmission even wanted to engage and provide gears.

Bit of a mental boost, too.

Phil

So, I know the gearbox isn't complete trash. It's very sloppy; I've taken a guess at the amount of oil it's got in (book says it takes 9qts so it got 9qts put in). Need to get a dipstick.
Engagement is not positive, but it's not really been run much.

Unfortunately the rear driveshaft yoke is junk, only one half of it is attached right now, one bolt hole is completely hogged out and I sheared a bolt off in the other. That's $150 I didn't want to spend, and getting that one off is going to be FUN.

Obviously just a preliminary to see if the transmission even wanted to engage and provide gears.

Bit of a mental boost, too.

Phil
Good work. Stay at it!

Back