1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

Oh, to answer the original question:
20231025_161217.jpg

The yoke is trash. It had (since removed) half a bolt stuck in one hole, the other has been drilled out at a jaunty angle and it's all smashed up where it's been run with no bearing cups for many miles. Imagine the noise that made...

Phil

Weather was nice tonight so I took a piece of steel from the pile of offcuts

20231102_174708.jpg

Marked out where it needed to be hammered.
20231102_180507.jpg

Marked out where it needed to be drilled, after it was hammered.
20231102_181207.jpg

Test fit, acceptable.
20231102_182331.jpg

Trimmed up and profiled to match where it needs to go in the floor. I'll cut that out and weld in when I've got some daylight.

Phil

Better still, I got it connected up. Wanted to wash the driveway so put the car by the garage.

Got a couple dead pots, need to find out why. Got into 2nd gear though.

Phil

It's an old one that's been floating around here on FCBO - many cars for sale are made to look shiny by soaking them with a hose just prior to photos - so many in fact that we started calling them on it by saying HOSE!... so whenever we see a hose in a picture of a car (for sale or not) it's now an autonomic reaction!

20231113_134828.jpg

Some spares arrived in the mail. Waiting on more. They're just going to sit in their box for now, we have a week of constant rain forecast.

Rain eased off so I got the phenolic spacer fitted for the carburetor.
20231114_120931.jpg

Then I heat bandage wrapped the exhaust manifold after reshaping it a bit to clearance the steering.
20231114_144254.jpg

Surprised how much that cuts down on the heat right there.
Works for me.

Phil

Ordered a pair of exhaust gaskets, they came in the wrong type but I think they'll work. I'll try it out but that'll get the exhaust bolted together in the correct place at least.

Been doing a little research and I think I'll likely end up with a true dual system and Magnaflow mufflers. I've been instructed by my wife that she should "be able to hear it when it's running, and everybody else would know when I've put my foot down".

Okay, I can do that. She wants a deep bass rumble with an off balance thrum.

Phil

Question: Brakes. Overall, the brake systems I'm guessing share a lot in common across the Chrysler group- most manual drum systems follow the same basic recipe?
Master to proportion valve to wheels, the later twin system being split front/rear?

Phil

I guess more the question, if I have 66 drums and cylinders all round, can I upgrade to the slightly later twin system and proportion valve?

Absolutely. Use a 67 or up dual circuit drum master such as noted above by @Just Carbs - it will simply bolt right on. Just choose the one for manual brakes or power brakes as per your car's setup. As well, there is a proper distribution setup already available for easy-peasy install on eBay.

Of course, now that I look for it after seeing it a trillion times (prebent lines and all), I can't find it. Look for a something along the lines of a C body dual master conversion... should come up.

Back