1966 Imperial Crown convertible

Another issue can be the Headlight Aim is off. Mine always seem too low.

Another issue can be the Headlight Aim is off. Mine always seem too low.
They should be set to level... without a screen just shot a blank wall... center of headlight height should be the same as center of the beam... give about a car length for distance... it'll be accurate enough to pass any test if you do it well. Getting them straight ahead can be a little more challenging, but not too hard.

Worked on the '69 D300 I call the Road Pig. A car club member who happens to weld and has a lift,, got my bed installed and the bumper on. Looks great!

My dog approves, too!

IMG_20211104_174812483~2.jpg

IMG_20211104_174832268_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211030_150211443_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211030_135843077_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211030_135826202_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211102_162748340_HDR.jpg

Picked up a pick-up today. 2001 Ram 1500, 318 auto, Laramie SLT, Club Cab 4x2. Real one owner truck until today. Drives great.

IMG_20211115_163603241.jpg

IMG_20211115_163530988.jpg

IMG_20211115_163620085.jpg

IMG_20211115_163641149.jpg

Christmas Day. It's 77° outside and a perfect day to drop the top on the Imperial and go for a drive around the lake. Took the wife and younger son out for a ride. The pavement over the dam is fresh and smooth. Nice drive!

IMG_20211225_133257063.jpg

I fixed the loose top locating stud where it goes into the windshield frame (driver side). I noticed it was loose recently. Some two stage epoxy glue fixed that right up. My DS rear quarter window is still stuck in the down position. I might try squirting some PB Blaster down in the window well to see if that will help.

One of my car club buddies has a son-in-law that does paint correction detailing. I was going to have him do the Imperial, but instead, decided to have him do the Coronet first. This will be on the 22nd of this month. I've seen his work, which is nothing short of spectacular! He takes a full day to do a car, generally. A full exterior job, plus complete interior, trunk and engine detail is normally $850, but he gives our Mopar Club members 20% off that price, which to me, is money well spent for a 100% pro detail, which includes the paint correction. The Coronet paint is nearly 37 years old, and still looks beautiful...from about 10 feet away. I'll have it shining like a diamond in a goat's *** when it's over! Then, I'll have the Imperial done sometime in March. I'm looking forward to this! And yes, before/after pics will be out for all to see!

Had to drive the Imperial on Saturday. Nearly 80 degrees outside! It was far too nice of a day to do only shop things.

I had to put a few gallons of mid-grade in it. Ten gallons was $47.00. Fifty bucks filled that girl right up a year ago.

Time for a wheel alignment, it seems. Last drive on the Interstate felt like a river cruise with the gentle rolling from side to side, and the inability to hold a straight line of travel. It's not drastic, it's just very noticeable to me. It just doesn't feel right. Now the fun part...there are maybe three alignment shops that do suspensions on pre-1990 cars and trucks. WTF??? I have good recommendations with an alignment shop about 30 miles away. Apparently, he is the only guy around who knows how to actually read specs from a manual, and not rely solely on whatever cars/specs are on the alignment computer. Many alignment racks are not programmed for vehicles earlier that 1990, I'm coming to find out. How ridiculous is that???

Oh, let's talk air conditioning, shall we? There are two shops in town that do air conditioning on older cars. Two! As soon as I told the people on the phone mine were both from 1966 and still had R-12 in the system, neither would touch them at all, unless it included a complete replacement of the stock underhood A/C components...and $2,500 out of my pocket for each car! The Imperial currently blows cool, not cold. The Coronet air has been inop since 1987. Hell, for that money, I can order the components, install them, and then have the system charged up.

Haven't yet gotten to my A/C, not expecting much, though.

Just now catching up on all of your posts for the last couple years, Patrick. Sorry for the loss of your dog. My buddy of 14 years has been gone since '96, still miss him.

What was the outcome with your DS back window, or is it still down? I have the same problem. Motor worked fine going down but weird thing was, no matter which switch I used or which direction I pushed, it just kept going down more and more each time. All the motors need to come out to be cleaned and re-lubed and the tracks and regulators need cleaning too. Sure not looking forward to that 'project'.

Time for a wheel alignment, it seems. Last drive on the Interstate felt like a river cruise with the gentle rolling from side to side, and the inability to hold a straight line of travel. It's not drastic, it's just very noticeable to me. It just doesn't feel right. Now the fun part...there are maybe three alignment shops that do suspensions on pre-1990 cars and trucks. WTF??? I have good recommendations with an alignment shop about 30 miles away. Apparently, he is the only guy around who knows how to actually read specs from a manual, and not rely solely on whatever cars/specs are on the alignment computer. Many alignment racks are not programmed for vehicles earlier that 1990, I'm coming to find out. How ridiculous is that???

Oh, let's talk air conditioning, shall we? There are two shops in town that do air conditioning on older cars. Two! As soon as I told the people on the phone mine were both from 1966 and still had R-12 in the system, neither would touch them at all, unless it included a complete replacement of the stock underhood A/C components...and $2,500 out of my pocket for each car! The Imperial currently blows cool, not cold. The Coronet air has been inop since 1987. Hell, for that money, I can order the components, install them, and then have the system charged up.
Alignments can be done at home.

I have a longacre alignment set. Not this one, but a lesser capable version.

Longacre® Deluxe Front End Alignment Kit

Similarly, air conditioning is not rocket science. The issue is with R-12 in that it’s pricey.

Alignments can be done at home.

I have a longacre alignment set. Not this one, but a lesser capable version.

Longacre® Deluxe Front End Alignment Kit

Similarly, air conditioning is not rocket science. The issue is with R-12 in that it’s pricey.
Your link to the alignment tool says it only checks toe-in. Not terribly helpful when cars or our vintage require checks of more than that. I can do straight-axle alignments, those are quite simple.

Far as air conditioning goes; yeah, they are not "rocket science". Have you tried finding R12 anywhere at any price? And a R134 conversion kit isn't cheap, by itself. The Coronet has a known leaky spot at the firewall; while the Imperial blows cool, but nowhere near as cold as it should. None of the shops will touch a car with R12 in it. They claim not to have the equipment to recycle R12. I'm not gonna argue with them, it's a losing proposition.

Your link to the alignment tool says it only checks toe-in. Not terribly helpful when cars or our vintage require checks of more than that. I can do straight-axle alignments, those are quite simple.

Far as air conditioning goes; yeah, they are not "rocket science". Have you tried finding R12 anywhere at any price? And a R134 conversion kit isn't cheap, by itself. The Coronet has a known leaky spot at the firewall; while the Imperial blows cool, but nowhere near as cold as it should. None of the shops will touch a car with R12 in it. They claim not to have the equipment to recycle R12. I'm not gonna argue with them, it's a losing proposition.
Regarding R-12, yes, you need to find a source. Fortunately, I have 2. 8^)

Haven't yet gotten to my A/C, not expecting much, though.

Just now catching up on all of your posts for the last couple years, Patrick. Sorry for the loss of your dog. My buddy of 14 years has been gone since '96, still miss him.

What was the outcome with your DS back window, or is it still down? I have the same problem. Motor worked fine going down but weird thing was, no matter which switch I used or which direction I pushed, it just kept going down more and more each time. All the motors need to come out to be cleaned and re-lubed and the tracks and regulators need cleaning too. Sure not looking forward to that 'project'.
Looking to get into that this weekend. Four days in a row to blow all that apart.

Back