1966 Imperial Crown convertible

Member's Projects & Restorations

1. patrick66

patrick66 Old Man with a Hat

OK, back to the Imperial! It's getting a front-end alignment in a few days. There are only two shops locally that will align old cars anymore. Most shops, if the car is more than 15 years old, they don't want to do anything on it, plus the so-called "techs" can't seem to do shit on any car without a computer telling him what is what. I miss my friend at the auto shop at the vo-tech. He retired three years ago. His kids worked on stuff like that regularly. The new "teacher" there now is of the thought that "the kids aren't going to be working on old cars" in the field. He is a moron. Brakes are brakes. Everything needs to be aligned occasionally. Carbs? What are those? So, that leaves me to pursue other avenues with stuff that I haven't the tools or time to do. Alignments fall under that.

The Imperial will wonder just a bit from 55 to about 75. I've driven the car enough over the past year or so, especially, to where that problem is becoming more evident to me. Time to do something about that before the last alignment guy in town that can do this, dies off or something. It's gonna get dropped off at that shop on Wednesday afternoon, so he can do it and have it done Thursday. Just in time for a 200-mile cruise scheduled for the 17th. I'll have to dashcam that and put it on my youtube channel. I'll link to that when that occurs.

• Like Like x 2
  2. cantflip

cantflip Old Jagoff with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Thant's great, that truck is almost nice... meaning I could both love and use her... I would never change the banged up grille or spent too much time trying to make something pretty... but I'd figure out a bed and use her whenever I could.

Leave the seat, fix the clearance light and spare no expense on good rubber and brakes. Add a scary front push/step bumper and drive her to the lumber yard before Cars and Coffee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. patrick66

patrick66 Old Man with a Hat

You've read my mind! I plan on Scotchbriting the paint and make it at least sorta-shiny, since 98% of the paint is still on the truck. The seat is a rock and crumbles. Looks good, but it is desert-baked to a crackly crunch, so it is getting a re-do. The windshield glass, plus the window seal and the rear glass seal, are in sad shape and will definitely get replaced. I have a set of original cab lenses on order. The PS turn indicator is broken, but there is another pair that came with the D300. Plus, I need taillights until I get a flatbed on this beast!

I hate driving anything dirty. This will definitely get cleaned up and sorta-sparkly, but the overall appearance wn't change a bunch.

I do have a 3x3 steel square bumper that came off another Dodge from long ago that I'm going to use for now, so I'll have a bumper up front. I might have a nice chunk of C-channel (say 6" or so!) made up for a nice, big, intimidating; yet useful, front bumper, like a push truck or a wrecker might have.

A friend does powder-coating for a living. I can get the wheels done for $45 each, which is a great deal, IMO. Or, I might add a set of the stainless steel wheel "simulators" for that little exterior bling. With that, new tires all around, and a thorough brake check before it hits the road again (plus taillights! Kinda important!), and she'll be ready to drive.

It will definitely hit a Cars & Coffee sometime soon. Might park over by the Corvette snobs or the Chevy SSR geezers, watch them all stroke out!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. cantflip

cantflip Old Jagoff with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

A worthwhile way to enjoy a cup... :thumbsup: