1966 Polara Wagon headliner

Bud

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve looked and looked and thought I was close, but I just can’t find a headliner to fit my 1966 Polara Wagon. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers Bud

671BAA60-5D0A-4C97-9E06-A78A94281C95.jpeg

The correct headliners for our wagons are not reproduced - yet. They are the perforated paperboard style.

I believe someone here is looking into it, but as yet the only solution is an aftermarket fabric one, or a good used one.

Is you current headliner . . . warped, crumbling, or not present?

Just curious,
CBODY67

IMG_20191126_080810.jpg
IMG_20191126_080829.jpg
IMG_20191126_080842.jpg
IMG_20191126_080855.jpg
I have a used cardboard headliner. Not perfect by any means but most of the panels are useable.

The correct headliners for our wagons are not reproduced - yet. They are the perforated paperboard style.

I believe someone here is looking into it, but as yet the only solution is an aftermarket fabric one, or a good used one.

Thanks Ross. I have found a headliner for a 1966 Dodge Coronet. The rooflines look similar, but with it being a b-body, I am not confident of a fit.

@saforwardlook had a custom headliner made for his wagon - maybe he has some suggestions.

Yes, Ross, I did have 2 cloth headliners custom made by an expert upholstery guy in CA.

One was on my 1969 Chrysler Town & Country wagon and the other was for my 1973 Dodge Coronet Crestwood station wagon.

I hate the original perforated pressed cardboard headliners and although I am usually a strict original guy, not so in these two cases since I truly can't stand the original cheap stuff Chrysler used - it just won't last and I don't even like the look.

For my T&C, I used Murray Park to provide me with the front and rear compartment dome light and mounts from a 1972 or 73 C body wagon that used a cloth headliner in those models and then I mounted them both in my T&C wagon which wasn't hard to improvise. Then I had my body/paint guy make a sawtooth mounting strip at the rear of the roof inside so that the cloth headliner would attach securely at the rear, just like they all have present (even on my 69) for the front window. Then I removed the front mounting strips (and threw them out) for the hardboard headliner on both sides of the inside roof rails but left the mounting strips in the rear roof rails so the headliner could be glued on the sides to that strip and then the interior moldings would cover that area. Now my wagon looks exactly like a 1972-3 model wagon and I couldn't be more pleased. The upholstery guy I used just made up the headliner from scratch and he did a great job.

For my coronet wagon, I just used the circular dome light from my wagon and mounted it in the front on the existing crossover and made up a mount for the one from my wagon for the rear out of sheet steel (my body/paint guy just made one up that would work) plus also a sawtooth steel strip for mounting the headliner at the rear of the interior roof (use the finish molding to determine where to place that strip should go so it won't be seen when done). I also, just like for the Chrysler, removed the roof rail strips that are used to mount the ends of the hardboard - but left the rear in place to which the cloth headliner could be glued just as in the Chrysler). Then the upholstery guy made up a complete headliner and installed that one too from scratch. I have personally never seen a B body wagon of that era or even earlier with a cloth headliner. I chose a perforated off white vinyl headliner material that looks very much like the original hardboard when installed and at first glance no one would even think about the headliner when first getting inside that wagon until one realizes it had been modified to cloth. I used the original sun visors too, which were also off white to somewhat match the light gray hardboard headliners in those models.

Not having to ever deal with a hardboard headliner again was a big relief. It was one of the worst cost decisions Chrysler ever made and they carried that junk over for decades beginning with the 50s.

Just make sure the guy you use to do this work has some experience in doing headliners - the guy I used has over 30 years, but it isn't rocket science either.

Each install including the cost of the headliner and bow kits and installation was $600 each.

The only guy that reproduces the perforated hardboard that I know of is Mopar Mel and each section is $200 - so a 5 section roof would be $1000 just to start with the material (assuming your original stuff is junk like mine was). He also reproduces the plastic covers for the headliner supports for $100 each. So the cost difference is also very desirable.

I can get some photos of the finished wagons a little later and update this post with them.

Last edited:
Seems like some GM brands used the "peg board" style of headliner in some of their wagons, too? Not sure of any repro items, though.

CBODY67

I sent my good originals from my 64-880 wagon to REM Automotive, INC . They are going to reproduce them , which I believe is good for all 60-64 full-size wagons. You might contact them, if they are possible making or plan on making for your year.

@saforwardlook, Having several 1960-64 wagons I am aligned exactly with you on the comment from your post.
"I hate the original perforated pressed cardboard headliners and although I am usually a strict original guy, not so in these two cases since I truly can't stand the original cheap stuff Chrysler used - it just won't last and I don't even like the look."

Another option to "recreate" an original looking station wagon headliner that has the individual panels is to use a product called "gator-board".
What makes gator-board better is that it's a foam board with extruded polystyrene so it will NOT warp, crumble or absorb moisture like original fiberboard panels. The only negative is that it's solid with no perforated pattern. Only a problem if looking for the same factory appearance.

In addition gator-board is easily cut to size and can be painted or have fabric or vinyl glued to the surface. That way can custom match color to interior.
This is exactly what I am doing in my 1960 wagon. The panels with fabric glued to them has a much more finished look compared to the original fiberboard panels. Installs the same way as original panels so pretty easy to replace.

The gator-board can usually be found at art supply stores.
Here's the link to website for more info:
Foam Board | Foamcore

A great big thanks to all of you for your great help.

Have a Very Merry Christmas!!!

Cheers Bud

Back