1966 Sport Fury 440 'vert One of Two - Hemmings find of the day

What is the HP rating for the 440 "Commander" engine?

According to Plymouth brochures, the 440 Commando was 365hp in the Fury.
66_Plymouth_Engineering_0003.jpg

66_Plymouth_Engineering_0003.jpg

I'm calling this and the ad in Hemmings major, major bigtime bullshit.

Let's start with the ad.

First off, the car is either a Sport Fury or it's a Fury III. There's no such animal as a Sport Fury 3
Next. No full size Plymouth, with the possible exception of the VIPs got a leather interior. Someone can't tell the difference between vinyl and leather? Please.
Calling it one of a kind because of those idiotic snorkels on the hood and a set of Cragar S/S mags doesn't cut it in my book. Where's the OE wheels & wheelcovers? How much work is it going to be to "FIX" the hood?
This car "might" be one of two in GALEN's REGISTRY. That and $1.25 gets you a cup of coffee. Somebody's going to have to give me one hell of a great explanation as to what being on Galen's Registry has to do with anything. It means someone has brought this car to his attention (probably after paying the fees). It certainly doesn't mean its a one of two.
Bragging about all of the stuff on the car that DOESN'T work isn't my idea of creating desire on the part of potential purchasers. What did he have to do to "put it into good running condition"? What OE parts did he toss doing this? Who did the work?

We're all still waiting with baited breath to see what sort of "documentation" Galen is sending this guy. I'll bet it'll be thrilling reading.

Meanwhile a few facts.

There were 33230 Sport Furys built in 1966 with 30249 being hardtops and 2981 being convertibles.

The only option breakdown information I have covers all Sport Furys, so use your own discretion with the following.
Of the 33230 cars built in the US, Chrysler reports 32941 of them sold. The other 300 or so cars could be export. I didn't bother to check.

Of these 32941 cars that were sold 889 of them got 440s. So while somebody's explaining to me what the significance is of being in Galen's Registry, they can also explain to me who 887 of those 440s went into hardtops and only 2 went into convertibles, when convertibles were 8.97 (nearly 9)% of the cars sold.

Hell even Canada made 437 convertibles out of 2711 Sport Furys, which is 16.12% of their production.

So, one more time.

BULLSHIT!

I emailed the seller through the listing asking for whatever documentation he had or got from Galen. As I suspected his car is one of two in Galen's registry. Which to me means absolutely nothing.

He also got numbers from Galen that indicates 113 440 Sport Fury Convertibles were built in 1966 with 55 getting a 4speed and 58 getting an automatic. This tells me that Galen likely has a more complete SG30 than I do, and that the sellers car is one of 58 and not one of two. This still qualifies it somewhat as being "rare" as in uncommon, but with the deterioration and modifications made to the car, it sure as hell ain't THAT valuable.

Can someone enlighten me on what an SG30 is? Thanks.

I think I've gone through all this more than once so I'll try and keep it short. Chrysler basically keeps three sets of books on the cars they produce.

First is an actual production report. It details vehicles, by engineering model codes to the individual body style and to the individual plant that produced that carline. It contains no other information. Historical "may" have these reports.

Second are the Option & Accessory Reports, aka SG30/31. These list the installation rates of options (usually in percentages, but they can be and were done in whole numbers on request) based on the number of cars SOLD (NOT built) in a particular market. There's a set for the U.S., another for Canada, one for export (sometimes, but not always). Not tracked are cars produced for engineering use, nor are cars sold through military PXs. The primary internal customer for these reports are the product planning people. These are the reports that I believe Historical has. SG30/31 reports are still prepared, but in this day and age of computers, I am somewhat doubtful that printed copies of this information still exists. I've often thought it would be nothing short of fabulous, if historical could gain access to the electronic copies, but I haven't been in Historical for close to 20 years and Brandt and I aren't exactly on speaking terms. My SG30 for 1966 is only as precise as the model, it does not break down to body styles. Galen's obviously does.

Third is the holy grail of reports, called a VSPR (which roughly stands for Vehicle Scheduled Production Report - not exactly correct, but close). This lists the installation rates of options based on cars BUILT. Each assembly plant produces its on VSPR and they are forwarded on to Highland Park/Auburn Hills. I have never been able to determine who the internal customer at Chrysler was for these reports. Years ago, I persuaded the woman who was the head librarian to call the supervisor who controlled these reports to see if he would send her copies of the then current reports and any and all prior model years that still existed. I don't recall the exact details, but basically she got nowhere with this guy. So whether or not these are even still produced or who made use of the information, I have never been able to find out.

Thus ends the lesson.

Lessee, "Sport Fury III". Extremely pitted potmetal parts everywhere. Rusty top header. Half-*** install of the aftermarket tach and gauge. Console top that is just sitting on the console, without a hinge or lock button! Painted rear armrests. The $20.00 aircleaner and chrome valve covers. "Commander 440". WTF? Really?

And finally, those hideous, gawd-awful damn SCOOPS!

$10K - $12K on a good day. What a friggin' goober, this seller is! The '66 numbers are pretty easy to come by. It's the 1967 ChryCo production numbers that are quite vague. I figured that "one of two" was the number in GG's registry, and has meaning only to the owner and to GG.

Last edited:
One thing I have learned here is to make sure that yo don't try to add any BS to what you have because you will be found out!!

The historians will hunt you down & expose you...:busted::busted::busted::busted::busted::busted::busted:

Lessee, "Sport Fury III". Extremely pitted potmetal parts everywhere. Rusty top header. Half-*** install of the aftermarket tach and gauge. Console top that is just sitting on the console, without a hinge or lock button! Painted rear armrests. The $20.00 aircleaner and chrome valve covers. "Commander 440". WTF? Really?

And finally, those hideous, gawd-awful damn SCOOPS!

$10K - $12K on a good day. What a friggin' goober, this seller is! The '66 numbers are pretty easy to come by. It's the 1967 ChryCo production numbers that are quite vague. I figured that "one of two" was the number in GG's registry, and has meaning only to the owner and to GG.

Patrick. '67 production numbers aren't vague. All depends on what question(s) you ask, and who you ask.....

Kevin, ever hear of this guy named Galen Govier? Well he is well known for...

LMAO. Kevin: you kick ***. Thanks!

Posted via Topify on Android

Meh, anyone who buys it ihas more money than brains...and WTF was this clown thinking with those stick on scoops...

One benefit is that there will be less bugs on the windshield! They will be in the hood scoops!!

Ya know, I just had an epiphany. Stan's been going by the wrong screen name all these years. It should be "commander1"...

Unless it refers to his undergarment choice...:icon_butt:

I DON"T WANT TO KNOW!!!:gah::gah::gah:

Back