1967 Imperial front calipers and pads

MERNJ

Reaction score
I know cardone makes remanufactured 2 piston bud calipers for ‘67 Imperials.
Getting pads presents a challenge and rotors forget about it. Is there a source for rebuilding the calipers? Is there an easy swap out to a more readily available later model replacement (read that the 1970 Imperial rotors, calipers and pads could swap in?).

I have the Front Disc Brake Rotors and *** N.O.S. ***
ASBESTOS *** Brake Pads *** such that you have the nicest softest smoooooothest braking system known to mankind, don’t rip up the expensive Brake Rotors to smithereens....
And, I have Caliper Rebuilding service.....

P.M. me, as per forum rules, if interested.... Craig.....

They are four (4) piston calipers for the Budd system --- and DON'T DARE send your Calipers to CarDon't --- you will hate life......

The two piston calipers usually need to have stainless steel sleeves installed as part of the repair process. A good automotive machine shop can do this. I would not trust and Cardon't rebuilds any farther than I could throw them.

A conversion is possible, but it is a lot of work. The web imperial club has some articles on this, it would involve changing the spindle,control arms, rotors,calipers and hoses.
Craig at mobile parts can help you if you decide to keep your car factory.

Dave

FWIW I did a Cardone exchange of Budd 4 piston calipers a couple of years ago on my old 67. What I got back was brake calipers with Metric threads instead of the SAE threads that came on the originals. At least they could have provided the metric bolts that would have facilitated mounting. Wound up getting good ones from Calipersonline.

Follow what mobileparts says about the rotors & pads. If I were in your shoes, I'd get them from him. THANKS for the tip on calipers Matt. Of the three items, rotors seem more available, and there seem to be fewer screw-ups with them. A well known restoration shop in Virginia, White Post Restorations; has long had a well known caliper sleeving service, I think they use brass, that is another good option for the calipers. CarDon't is to be avoided. OEM pads (asbestos) really are worth what it takes to find them.

Last edited:
Two pistons on each side of the fixed caliper = four pistons total. If you were on the west (left) coast I'd refer you to Karp's brake service, [email protected]. Recently moved from Monrovia to Pomona(?) CA. I got a set of these brakes(spindles included) off a Fury in the Ontario Ecology yard (now LKQ), then got lazy and didn't go back soon enough to get the same off a '67 Imp a year ago.

We always called them Car Done. They used to be okay, decades ago. Now you don’t know what you’ll get from them.

Back