1967 Monaco 383 oil pan drop

I remove the pitman arm from the box and take the idler arm off the frame but I have the tools and that is my preference.
I don't have the tools to do anything to the suspension as of yet. I did but they walked away at some point in the last decade. So I guess its 6 of 1 1/2 12 of other. I'll pick em up Wednesday before I get to work.

Are you going to add a windage tray?
That was the idea though, I've sort of hemmed and hawed on it as of late. I have the gaskets to put one in I just haven't purchased one yet. Guess I'm just not sure if its necessary or beneficial on a stock motor? What do you think?

I'd add one, I did on the 440 in my Imp. If your pan is the same as mine it doesn't even have a baffle in it so I figured it to be a cheap improvement.

I'd add one, I did on the 440 in my Imp. If your pan is the same as mine it doesn't even have a baffle in it so I figured it to be a cheap improvement.
I did on my first 440 as well so I added one to the parts list from muscle memory. Hadn't pulled the trigger on it yet simply because it's in the last batch of stuff... yea, I'm not gonna save much dough by not doing it.. Might as well!

You do not have to raise the engine to remove the oil pan. Remove the crossover pipe, drop the center link from the pitman and idler arm, remove the trans inspection cover, remove the two trans mount bolts and raise the trans up to the floor pan, then remove the oil pan. You may have to rotate the crank for clearance on the front.

You do not have to raise the engine to remove the oil pan. Remove the crossover pipe, drop the center link from the pitman and idler arm, remove the trans inspection cover, remove the two trans mount bolts and raise the trans up to the floor pan, then remove the oil pan. You may have to rotate the crank for clearance on the front.
Ah ha .. there's one I didn't think of. This is gonna be a blast without a lift but still better than raising the engine. Thanks!

Just a heads up for any of you biting your nails awaiting news because my stupid oil pan is the most important thing on the planet .. the Wednesday night removal is off due to other things that always get in the way. Pushing it to the weekend.
*crickets*

any of you biting your nails awaiting news because my stupid oil pan is the most important thing on the planet .
new-panic-gif-110.gif
panic-o.gif

I have done this on dual exhaust equipped cars. You may have to get the crossover pipe out of the way. Otherwise it will come out with no lifting the motor or trans and big blocks do not need the crank turned because the crank does not hang below the pan rail on the block. I personally don't like windage trays on a stock small capacity oil pan. People will say the tray will slow the return of oil to the pan especially the crappy Mopar performance tray.

I have done this on dual exhaust equipped cars. You may have to get the crossover pipe out of the way. Otherwise it will come out with no lifting the motor or trans and big blocks do not need the crank turned because the crank does not hang below the pan rail on the block. I personally don't like windage trays on a stock small capacity oil pan. People will say the tray will slow the return of oil to the pan especially the crappy Mopar performance tray.
I'll try not jacking anything first. Believe me, if I can do without, I definitely will.

Alright, all the bolts are out, inspection cover out, exhaust flange hung up on starter which is keeping the pan in... the saga continues tomorrow. Took me 35 minutes at a 16th turn per 4 seconds to get 3 of the bolts out. ... tired and oily.

Back