1967 Monaco fender tag decode request

Your option sheet indicates power steering was an option? For all models?
In Canada, yes optional on all models!

1000001631.jpg

It does have AM radio, front/rear bumper guards and map light (I think also glove box and trunk light). It has remote mirror and instrument panel clock but I'm a little fuzzy if I added those from junkyard parts 35 years ago. I think your option sheet says the clock was optional except Monaco 500?
Radio was optional..
Clock and light group package was standard on Monaco..

20231110_013215.jpg

Radio was a whopping $84 20 Canadian dollars!
Thats is 775.92 in today's money!!

20231110_014347.jpg

Screenshot_20231110_014313_Chrome.jpg

I don't think I've posted my fender tag, so here it is. Seems the '67-68 tag decoding is not necessarily fully documented?

View attachment 621872

VIN is DM23F79351274

I'm not sure if the windshield is tinted, if it is it's not very distinct. AM radio is probably the only option I know it has. Should be light-green top, dark green body. Narrow lower sill/fender trim and 1-inch wide belt-line trim. 318 with 3-speed column shift, front bench seat. Canadian car.
The 318Poly,Torqueflite trans, Radio, tinted windshield only, 2 tone paint are the options on fender tag.
Power steering could either be factree or dealer installed. Ditto power brakes, and bumper guards.
Do you have the broadcast sheet?
Your Dad bought it new but did he order it or picked out from the dealers car lot?

Last edited:
Radio was a whopping $84 20 Canadian dollars!
Thats is 775.92 in today's money!!

My dad told me the radio was $150, he told the dealer to take it out and they did. They left the antenna and changed the dash bezel to radio-delete. When restoring the car in the 80's I got a radio and bezel from a junkyard. Either way it was a krazy amount of money. The car was in the dealer show room, he didn't order it. The other cars the dealer had (lots of yellow colors apparently) didn't appeal to him. I'm a little fuzzy if I ever found a broadcast sheet, if I have it it would take a lot of looking to find it.

So do we know what the g2 code was for?

Last edited:
The main items it does not have are the real Monaco tail lights (it has Polara lights) and the front center grill Monaco badge (it has the plain Polara grill).
This is common coming from the Windsor plant.

This is common coming from the Windsor plant.

The second video showing the yellow-on-yellow with the trim on the C pillar was odd, until the owner said it originally had black vinyl roof. Here's the tag from that car (since it's another example of a Canadian Monaco):

67Monaco500-Lou-Costabile-video.jpg

Instead of w6, this one has w8 ?
That car has no bumper guards, and no g code on the tag, so maybe g2 is bumper guards?

Last edited:
The second video showing the yellow-on-yellow with the trim on the C pillar was odd, until the owner said it originally had black vinyl roof. Here's the tag from that car (since it's another example of a Canadian Monaco):

View attachment 626948

Instead of w6, this one has w8 ?
That car has no bumper guards, and no g code on the tag, so maybe g2 is bumper guards?
w8 is built to U.S. specs
g2 is not bumper guards.
Grace has bumper guards but no g2 on tag.

1000000723.jpg

1000000534.jpg

Heres another Canuckian Monaco. No vinyl top, and has Polara grile and tailights..

Another Cdn Monaco 4dr hardtop with standard cloth vinyl seats, Polara grille and taillights

w8 is built to U.S. specs
g2 is not bumper guards.
Grace has bumper guards but no g2 on tag.

The owner says the car was built in Canada but doesn't say if they or a previous owner brought it down from Canada.

Needs some explanation if "built to US specs" doesn't mean putting Monaco tail lights and grill on the car. Especially for a 500. Built to US specs doesn't necessarily mean putting a 383 in it because you could have got that for a Canadian-sold car. If there were a lot of these Windsor-made cars in the US that were built to US specs (to be sold in the US) I would have expected to see a lot more US Monaco's with Polara tail lights.

I've known for 35 years that a lot of Canadian Monaco's have Polara tail lights and grills. A lot, or maybe ALL of them? Were there ever any US-made Monaco's that were sold in Canada - and what tail lights did they have?

Last edited:
In this example, the w8 from the light green metallic Windsor Ontario Polara 4 door sedan:
PAINT: Monotone Light Green Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Black Upper Door Frame Color.
MOLDINGS:
ABC OPTIONS:Also Has power steering
R1: AM Radio
T8: Unknown Option
X2: Tinted Windshield Only
abc OPTIONS:
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
j4: Moulding - Body Sill Narrow
m3: Unknown Option
w8: USA specification from Windsor, Canada plant

IMG_4323.jpg

Next example, from a white 1967 Polara 500 convertible built in New Jersey:
ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in RadiatorAlso has these, but not coded?:
J4: Unknown OptionTilt/Telescopic?
K8: Power WindowsPwr LH Seat?
R1: AM RadioAuto-Pilot?
S1: Air ConditioningBumper guards?
W3: Unknown OptionPower Steering?
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y2: White Convertible TopWhat is W3, J4
abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

IMG_4319.jpg

Next example, a Red hardtop Polara with a White painted roof (2 for 2-tone) built in New Jersey
ABC OPTIONS:Power steering not coded
A1: 26in RadiatorBumper guards not coded.
S1: Air Conditioning
abc OPTIONS:

IMG_4320.jpg

In this example, the w8 from the light green metallic Windsor Ontario Polara 4 door sedan:
PAINT: Monotone Light Green Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Black Upper Door Frame Color.
MOLDINGS:
ABC OPTIONS:Also Has power steering
T8: Unknown Option
X2: Tinted Windshield Only
abc OPTIONS:
m3: Unknown Option
w8: USA specification from Windsor, Canada plant

View attachment 626961

Next example, from a white 1967 Polara 500 convertible built in New Jersey:
ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in RadiatorAlso has these, but not coded?:
J4: Unknown OptionTilt/Telescopic?
K8: Power WindowsPwr LH Seat?
R1: AM RadioAuto-Pilot?
S1: Air ConditioningBumper guards?
W3: Unknown OptionPower Steering?
Y2: White Convertible TopWhat is W3, J4
abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

View attachment 626962

Next example, a Red hardtop Polara with a White painted roof (2 for 2-tone) built in New Jersey
ABC OPTIONS:Power steering not coded
A1: 26in RadiatorBumper guards not coded.
S1: Air Conditioning
abc OPTIONS:

View attachment 626964

Do you have the associated VINs for the New Jersey built cars?

I'm thinking only the Belvedere plant used rivets to attach the tags.

Do you have the associated VINs for the New Jersey built cars?

Light green metallic Windsor Ontario Polara 4 door sedan: DL41G7913XXXX. November 25. Also has the upper body mouldings around the sedan side window frames, forgot to mention that.

White Belvidere Polara 500 Convertible: DM27K7414XXXX. November 11

Red Belvidere Polara 2 door hardtop: DL23G7416XXXX December 09

38 years ago I also owned Belvidere DL41G742577XX (dark Turquoise Metallic, two tone Turquoise cloth interior, A/C, P/S, fender mounted turn signals, body sill narrow, sedan window mouldings, tinted glass, AM radio). Beautiful car that got me started on this.

DL41G7913XXXX -Windsor, ONT plant
DM27K7414XXXX -Belvedere, IL plant
DL23G7416XXXX - Belvedere. IL plant
DL41G742577XX - Belvedere, IL plant

Newark, DE plant would be code 6.

I don't think Chrysler Corp had a plant in New Jersey for the '67 model year.

Oh... thanks! I am learning so much from this thread.

Anyone know what abc: m3, and ABC: W3 and J4 are?

m/3 - Windsor plant has it's own codes that sometimes do not relate to the US built car codes. This could be one of those examples.

J/4 = Does the car have a power bucket seat?
W/3 = I don't.

The owner says the car was built in Canada but doesn't say if they or a previous owner brought it down from Canada.

Needs some explanation if "built to US specs" doesn't mean putting Monaco tail lights and grill on the car. Especially for a 500. Built to US specs doesn't necessarily mean putting a 383 in it because you could have got that for a Canadian-sold car. If there were a lot of these Windsor-made cars in the US that were built to US specs (to be sold in the US) I would have expected to see a lot more US Monaco's with Polara tail lights.

I've known for 35 years that a lot of Canadian Monaco's have Polara tail lights and grills. A lot, or maybe ALL of them? Were there ever any US-made Monaco's that were sold in Canada - and what tail lights did they have?
That Monaco 500 in Lou's video I seen it in person and spoke to the owners.
Based on their findings, It was sold new in Michigan.
Built in Windsor then shipped across the border.
I parked next to them to compare our cars bavk in June.

1000000623.jpg

Belvedere car, sold car,.
Note has w6 but that does not mean Canadian spec car.
Has U.S. VIN DP for Monaco 500 and US sequential number respectively.
Code 83..440 Magnum! Rare gem!

1000001151.jpg

Back