1967 Newport Custom Engine/Engine bay/ stub frame rebuild

Ah....the more traditional side pipes. That's a good choice as well!

I had a set of the fakes on a '74 Roadrunner. They were awesome. I've actually considered putting them on our convertible but the wife would probably burn herself.

Painted and ready to go back in. Of course new filter and gasket. Have to replace the rear seal still...bought the stick shift seal by mistake.

20190706_150303.jpg

Dude you are work at an amazing pace and quality level. Love the colour.
Hell...I think I'm taking too long...lol. I'm going to finish the engine bay and get it back together...drive it for a bit and save up for next year...that will be the trunk pan and body paint.

I got the fender wells stripped of the old undercoat today. Going to blast them later in the week and paint them this weekend if the weather allows. Got new trans lines, Speedo cable, e brake cable, splash guards, hood rubber bumpers and the front and rear hood seals. Still haven't ordered the new brake lines yet but will soon. Can't wait to paint the body...have several NOS trim pieces that will make the front look very nice. I hope to be able to find and afford NOS side trim in time.

ok...so everything is back in except the torsion bars and sheet metal. I have paint coming so i can get those painted and ready to install....my question now is do I install the engine first and then the sheet metal or fender wells first and then the motor? I'm leaning towards installing the engine/trans and then everything else afterwards so its easier to get to the exhaust and motor mounts.

New e brake and Speedo cables are in. Some wires, vac line, throttle. Torque tube and exhaust are next. So far I have only lost one screw.....but its in the shop vac so not totally lost.

So I was painting with the sun in my eyes and totally missed the back side of the radiator yoke purple....have to repaint that....and then a storm came and blew one fender well off the rack...so that is getting repainted too. Smh....I also ordered a new heater core and gasket set for the heater box. That's getting redone next so I have hook up all the hoses and get this assembled and driving again. I will work on the trunk and body next year.

I ordered the spectre heater core to replace my clogged one....it looked nice but didnt fit. The nipples were about 1/2" off center of where they need to be preventing installation of the heater box back panel. It was also missing the flat plate that blocks air from bypassing the core and going around it. Had to return it. I ordered an ADP that has the flat plate and is also made of copper instead of aluminum, so even if it doesnt quite fit, I can adjust it and rebraze it if need be. Disappointed. I wanted to install the heater today. I did however get the power steering pump seals changed and repainted and reinstalled. Not much left. I have to install the driveshaft, repaint the fender and yoke, then its just putting it back together.

I am about three months behind you with a similar project. My car was a barn find, so I have never driven it. Do you think that I should replace my heater core, as long as things are torn apart? is it much easier with the car apart?

I am about three months behind you with a similar project. My car was a barn find, so I have never driven it. Do you think that I should replace my heater core, as long as things are torn apart? is it much easier with the car apart?
My heater core was obviously clogged...you don't need to take much apart to get the heater core out.....unless you have AC....then its a whole different story.

Back