1968 fury iii power brakes or no

Ok thanks I’m a newbie on old Plymouth never owned one till my step kid wanted me to get it
I can relate. I’ve had a Mopar or two in my time. Recently I picked up an old IH Scout which I knew nothing about. But I’m learning! Hang in there, looks like you have a good car and you seem to be making progress on it!

Would this work on mine jw what is hydro vac
Thank you I will will that brake booster fit you think
I don’t know. If your car was manual brakes from the factory it will take more than that to convert it over to power. Get some more pics and the broadcast sheet (hopefully in the back of the back seat or under)
A real upgrade would be to power disc. Having driven these cars in today’s crazy traffic, drums don’t cut it in my book. That being said, I’ve got drums on my junker still! Lol

I’m not pressing the issue of whether it was power or manual from the factory. The general consensus seems to indicate that it’s just as likely to be manual as not. I’m just saying find out for sure to avoid heading down the wrong path to solve your stiff brake problem.
Kinda like my Scout project, it’s a Frankenstein conglomeration that I can’t take anything for granted on. Not saying that’s what you have but anything can happen over the years.
It’s cheaper to learn as much as you can before buying stuff that won’t fit or you don’t need.
Look at the cars like yours on this site that are correct. Compare what you see on yours to them. See what’s similar and what looks wrong. Best of luck!

Your brake pedal will most likely read "power brakes" if it did come with power assist. You will also have to change over to a power brake pedal assembly as well as the manual pedal/arm has a different geometry for more leverage. You'll also have to add a bigger vacuum nipple with a separate tee to accommodate the larger booster vacuum line and the smaller vacuum line for your HVAC.

Those wheels probably ain’t doing you any favors in the stopping power department either. The bigger the tire diameter the more leverage it has against the brakes. Think breaking a lug nut loose with a 8 inch long ratchet as opposed to a 2 foot long breaker bar.

Those wheels probably ain’t doing you any favors in the stopping power department either. The bigger the tire diameter the more leverage it has against the brakes. Think breaking a lug nut loose with a 8 inch long ratchet as opposed to a 2 foot long breaker bar.
And nobody ever thinks of this fact.
They just want the “biggest tires and wheel that will fit”
Never asking about a tire with good traction.

So how could I tell if I had power brakes from factory etc
A '68 with factory power brakes will have the digit "1" embossed below the "H" of the uppercase A-Z row on the fender tag (sales/order code 451).

With power brakes, your heel on the floor and just using the ball of your foot on the pedal is appropriate and will achieve wheel-lock; With manual, you'll use your whole foot and leg, engaging your quadriceps and likely gripping for leverage against the steering wheel to achieve wheel-lock.

Typically, a power-brake pedal and a manual-brake pedal for a given car are not the same. I'm sorry - I don't have a 1968 parts manual, so I can look it up to be sure.

Don't suppose you found your broadcast sheet?

M

**Edit: Huh....I guess I DO have the '68 parts book. Pedals are all different. Reference image attached. There probably should be a part number stamped into the brake pedals, but I've never actually looked....

1968BrakePedals.jpg

Last edited:
I must add that, it seems odd for a car equipped with power steering and AC to have manual brakes. Not that it couldn’t happen but still, odd. You might want to investigate further. Like maybe someone removed the booster.?
My 67 is an A/C manual brake car. 383 now but originally a small block. Maybe that's the difference ?

They made plenty of 383 and 440’s with AC and manual brakes in the late 60’s and early 70’s. I have seen many of them. It is not required by Chrysler

If you get speed control 1969 and newer then power brakes are required. You can read this in the option list for the cars.

Last edited:
Back