1968 Hemi Road Runner Test

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Tested: 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi

1968-dodge-charger-hemi-archived-instrumented-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-611865-s-original.jpg

No R/T badge on that one so it’s not a Hemi and it’s also not a Road Runner…:poke:

1968 XP29 car.
Still not a Roadrunner
Be warned: don't read the comments, you will truly realize how stupid people are and there really is no hope for the human race.

Last edited:
oh yes it is a hemi car...that car is what was called "long lead press car"
built at Clairpointe on a short assembly line long before the model year release
Nov 67 issue means the car was built BEFORE November 67...most likely April 67
those cars did not have a legal VIN...
I have interviewed some famous car magazine writers, that is what i learned...did you? I went looking for the 1972 RR 440+6 4 speed car that was in in a car mag and ended up talking to the magazine people of those times. Very interesting information was shared

Where is the skid plate and the deep oil pan? They had those in 1966.

What is it that you don't understand? A Long lead press car IS NOT a production car, they were built in APRIL 67 BEFORE the model year introduction... therefore it will not have everything the PRODUCTION car had. Did you miss the part about no legal [Federal] VIN? Go do your homework and quit arguing with me..who did you interview? Did you interview Roger Huntington?? Cliff Gromer etc?? Well? Who...come on smart pants...oh yeah you want me to post the emails, good luck that is not happening because you don't deserve to see them

Last edited:
There was no such thing as a R/T trim level package in the previous years. The "S" for special (not the model). Thus the use of a "regular" Charger in a preproduction test/press car, so that it could have a title and be registered to e lent out to auto journalist and such.

1643761020115.png
Since the article does not show the engine in the car, we could spend a long time arguing and not "prove" anything

I’m not arguing I’m stating facts. So calm down and quit yelling

Street Hemi K members has skid plates and the engines had a deep oil pan Since 1966. Where do you get a 1/2” oil pickup for a shallow pan? Neither of these are on the pictured car. Why wouldn’t they use production parts That have been around for 2 years. It would just fall together that way, no custom building.

I love how this dude loses his mind every time he turns on his computer:rofl: From 0 to full rage mode faster than this Hemi Charger... By the way are you 100% sure about this being a true Hemi? I'm not convinced:poke:

I love how this dude loses his mind every time he turns on his computer:rofl: From 0 to full rage mode faster than this Hemi Charger... By the way are you 100% sure about this being a true Hemi? I'm not convinced:poke:
There is a pretty famous/documented XP29 Charger. It was the press release car in numerous pictures introducing the new Charger body style. It had the door Hemi badge, but not the R/T badge on the headlight door, just the Charger arrow.
I do not know if that is the car in the picture. Stands to reason if they are trying to get good press on a performance car they would not give them a 318 to impress

Last edited:
1968 XP29 car.
Still not a Roadrunner
Be warned: don't read the comments, you will truly realize how stupid people are and there really is no hope for the human race.
I had to read the comments, yea, people are stupid and have no idea of the good ole days of real Detroit muscle, not a single post about those times were on bias ply tires
Probably a bunch of 18 yr olds that drive Civics with the splayed out drifting stance suspension, grapefruit shooter exhaust, and a license plate rattling stereo
tumblr_pfffa5fgUu1rm9payo1_1280.jpg

I grew up in Detroit in the 60's and was fortunate to be a car guy. Lots of time spent on Woodward ave, Square Lake road, I-75, Telegraph road among others.
I had a brand new A12 Road Runner in early 69. I learned about the factory prepared image cars most manufactures unleashed on the streets, mostly north of Detroit. Set up to be stoplight runners. Usually big gear sets in the rear end. Looked like rockets through 2nd gear. The tip off was the "M" on the license plate, (and a young guy in a white shirt behind the wheel). My A 12 was a target for them but I learned to pick my battles by checking the plates.

I grew up in Detroit in the 60's and was fortunate to be a car guy. Lots of time spent on Woodward ave, Square Lake road, I-75, Telegraph road among others.
I had a brand new A12 Road Runner in early 69. I learned about the factory prepared image cars most manufactures unleashed on the streets, mostly north of Detroit. Set up to be stoplight runners. Usually big gear sets in the rear end. Looked like rockets through 2nd gear. The tip off was the "M" on the license plate, (and a young guy in a white shirt behind the wheel). My A 12 was a target for them but I learned to pick my battles by checking the plates.

I would love to see a documentary of those times in your life.....

I would love to see a documentary of those times in your life.....
I agree but what’s also good is sitting down with him for a lunch that lasts clear through to dinner.:thumbsup:

Does Michigan have a show you guys gather at during the summer?
Will has family here so we literally just met for lunch one day while he was in town one time but we have also hung out together at Mopars at the Red Barn.

Will has family here so we literally just met for lunch one day while he was in town one time but we have also hung out together at Mopars at the Red Barn.
My wife is from Detroit. Her family is now in western Michigan. Hartford area. I was just wondering if it is possible to coordinate a family visit with a show/meet up.

My wife is from Detroit. Her family is now in western Michigan. Hartford area. I was just wondering if it is possible to coordinate a family visit with a show/meet up.
Mopars at the Red Barn is on the west side of the state, Hickory Corners. Probably one of the best venues for a car show in the country.

Back